What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper wanting out!

OUSTDOUST

Juniors
Hey people,

Rumor has it that its a done deal with the dogs now that tonga is gone to the cowboys. hoping that its just a rumor. I would rather see him go england rather than the dogs. its a shame to see him leave but if it means signing new players now that bennett is comming then it would be good for the future of the dragons.

Why would he leave if bennett is comming? I find that dumb.:shock:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Tonga & Cooper both play on the same side of the field... would make sense.

Still... who the hell would want to play for the Bulldogs now ?

I've heard/seen many times that Coops has said he won't play against the Dragons, so I'll believe all these rumours if/when its officially announced.

Plus, I can't imagine any dragons players would wilfully leave now that uncle wayne is on his way...

borat

Bench
I am a huge fan of coops, but take the emotion out of it, we have way too many $$$'s invested in our centres and not nearly enough in our 1,7 & 9.

Wobbygong

First Grade
If he's moved on, Coops will go for the real money in the UK. King got 700k only last year, no NRL side would have anything like that, Dogs might offer him 350k, but why take that when someone like him (test player) can get double that amount (in AUD) and put it in a tax effective structure over there????

As for going to Souths, Dave Q you always make me laugh, why end your career with two spoons? Lewis had no choice other than greed for the folding (Panthers v Souths) even bet for the spoon, with Souths on last weeks effort just ahead at this stage.

At 28 (29 in a few weeks), Coops could sign a 2 year contract with the dragons, then after that chase a 2 year contract in the ESL to finish his career.. he's still got at least 3-4 years left in him...

redVpride

Juniors
i agree it would be good if we could keep him on the books depending on how much money he would ask for, but with the salary cap and other players off contract i cant see it happening he has been a great club man for us i think.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Can't the Dragons get a concession because he has been at the club for 10 years?

If he does go to England he will end up playing as a 5/8 and be the golakicker ala Jamie Lyon.

It amazes me how Lyon was voted best 5/8 in England yet is absolutely rubbish in the NRL when he plays 5/8.

This Year?

Immortal
I hope Coops stays. It's a shame he doesn't get any ball and he is a good defender. If he does leave there will only be another outside back who can't defend.

knocker norton

Juniors
Can't the Dragons get a concession because he has been at the club for 10 years?

If he does go to England he will end up playing as a 5/8 and be the golakicker ala Jamie Lyon.

It amazes me how Lyon was voted best 5/8 in England yet is absolutely rubbish in the NRL when he plays 5/8.

Not sure where that info came from but it is way off the mark!

Lyon played centre all the time he was at the Saints (apart from the odd game). Leon Pryce has been the 5/8 for the last couple of years there.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Cooper, who is considering lucrative offers from the Bulldogs and Wigan, is building a house in Wollongong and recently opened a cafe at Dapto with teammate Simon Woolford.
With Bennett last week meeting Dragons recruitment manager Craig Young for the first time since being appointed, Cooper said discussions about his role under the six-times premiership mentor would help decide his future. "I'm going to have to have a chat to him before I make any decision - it's something I'm going to have to do in the next few days." Cooper told AAP. "Hopefully it works out and I get to stay. I'd love to stay, I'm comfortable here."
After finally confirming the promotion of assistant coach Kevin Moore to the top job at a press conference today, the Bulldogs will begin focusing on signing new players, with Cooper and Storm prop Jeff Lima heading their list of targets.
Should Cooper leave, the Dragons seem to have a readymade replacement in 18-year-old Arncliffe junior Dean Whare, who scored three tries in the NYC team's 20-18 win over North Queensland on Saturday.

Mr Red

First Grade
- Wayne Bennett met with the dragons and has informed them that keeping cooper is a priority for next season.
- Cooper is meeting with Bennett within the next week to discuss the plans he has for the dragons next season and the role in which he wants Cooper to play
- if the money is right and Cooper likes what Bennett says then he will stay. Cooper has just built a house in the area and is very keen to be a one club man for his career.

this is the state of play at the moment - i hope this information helps

Latest posts