What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

nontime111

Juniors
I think hes just a party fella nothing harmful or malicious just enjoying his hard earned success his way....I hope he carves for us this year I love his play thats all I care about, what he does on the field

possm

Coach
I think hes just a party fella nothing harmful or malicious just enjoying his hard earned success his way....I hope he carves for us this year I love his play thats all I care about, what he does on the field

I hope Norman grows up and assumes his role-model opportunity to help guide our young players. There is no room at the Dragons for this type of behaviour.

nontime111

Juniors
I hope Norman grows up and assumes his role-model opportunity to help guide our young players. There is no room at the Dragons for this type of behaviour.
my comment was merely countering if I thought his videos were non consensual

getsmarty

Immortal
Corey Norman provides good headache for Dragons coach Paul McGregor: Tyson Frizell
  • Local Sport
    r340_716_4027_2685_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Time to shine: Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman. Picture: AAP Image

• Tyson Frizell believes Corey Norman's signing has given Paul McGregor the best possible headache for a coach.

St George Illawarra's acquisition of Norman has given them yet another x-factor in attack.

With Gareth Widdop likely to shift to fullback, Norman will be expected to form an exciting halves pairing with star No.7 Ben Hunt.

With young wingers Jordan Pereira and Zac Lomax expected to excite out wide alongside Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, the Dragons have strike all over the field. Then there is speedster Matt Dufty.

"It's a bit of a tough one there. Not for us players, [Norman is] a great asset and a great player to have. I think more for Mary, in terms of what he wants to do with the spine," Frizell said.

"Because you've got Dufty, Normy, Gareth, Ben Hunt. They all can't fit in. It's a headache I think Mary likes to have. It seems like Gaz is going to move to the back and Normy will probably start in the halves but whether that's for round one after the way it played out in the trials.

"I think it's a work in progress. Who knows, it might change throughout the year depending on how we go. They're great players. [Norman] is a great player to have into our squad and as a new addition he's another x-factor that we've brought into the side along with Dufty. Whether he starts at the back or comes off the bench he's a handy player to have. A player that can break open a game which is something we might need in close games or big games to have someone like that with that x-factor help us get over the line.

"It's exciting for us and for Dragons fans to have these players in our side. And hopefully it comes together for us."

St George Illawarra's deadly spine - which also includes livewire hooker Cameron McInnes - appears to have plenty of points in it.

But Frizell warned against expecting too much too soon as their big guns started to gel.

"I don't know if we can expect them to light it up every game, it's going to take time with all these quality players," he said.

"Collectively as a team we've got to be performing together each week and for those guys to stand out we need to be playing well as a group. Hopefully we can do that sooner rather than later but hopefully fans will be itching to come and watch us play."
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5944329/norman-asks-question-of-mary/?cs=1633

possm

Coach
Corey Norman provides good headache for Dragons coach Paul McGregor: Tyson Frizell
  • Local Sport

• Tyson Frizell believes Corey Norman's signing has given Paul McGregor the best possible headache for a coach.

St George Illawarra's acquisition of Norman has given them yet another x-factor in attack.

With Gareth Widdop likely to shift to fullback, Norman will be expected to form an exciting halves pairing with star No.7 Ben Hunt.

With young wingers Jordan Pereira and Zac Lomax expected to excite out wide alongside Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, the Dragons have strike all over the field. Then there is speedster Matt Dufty.

"It's a bit of a tough one there. Not for us players, [Norman is] a great asset and a great player to have. I think more for Mary, in terms of what he wants to do with the spine," Frizell said.

"Because you've got Dufty, Normy, Gareth, Ben Hunt. They all can't fit in. It's a headache I think Mary likes to have. It seems like Gaz is going to move to the back and Normy will probably start in the halves but whether that's for round one after the way it played out in the trials.

"I think it's a work in progress. Who knows, it might change throughout the year depending on how we go. They're great players. [Norman] is a great player to have into our squad and as a new addition he's another x-factor that we've brought into the side along with Dufty. Whether he starts at the back or comes off the bench he's a handy player to have. A player that can break open a game which is something we might need in close games or big games to have someone like that with that x-factor help us get over the line.

"It's exciting for us and for Dragons fans to have these players in our side. And hopefully it comes together for us."

St George Illawarra's deadly spine - which also includes livewire hooker Cameron McInnes - appears to have plenty of points in it.

But Frizell warned against expecting too much too soon as their big guns started to gel.

"I don't know if we can expect them to light it up every game, it's going to take time with all these quality players," he said.

"Collectively as a team we've got to be performing together each week and for those guys to stand out we need to be playing well as a group. Hopefully we can do that sooner rather than later but hopefully fans will be itching to come and watch us play."
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5944329/norman-asks-question-of-mary/?cs=1633

So did Millward sign Norman to give Mary a 'good headache?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
  • Local Sport

X factor? Wasn’t the same thing said upon B. Marshall’s arrival in 2014?

possm

Coach
He was signed because we needed a Widdop replacement and he was the best available. Jumping on him early was the right decision.

Might it have been a better and cheaper option to test Field in 2019 and if it did not work out, sign Norman in 2020?

I feel Field will play very well in 2019 mainly because he has built up his frame and now has confidence to defend. He does have an excellent turn of speed and a good passing game.

Or maybe let Widdop go when he asked for the release and use Field as backup for Dufty and Norman.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Might it have been a better and cheaper option to test Field in 2019 and if it did not work out, sign Norman in 2020?

I feel Field will play very well in 2019 mainly because he has built up his frame and now has confidence to defend. He does have an excellent turn of speed and a good passing game.

Or maybe let Widdop go when he asked for the release and use Field as backup for Dufty and Norman.
It may have been a better option to sign Norman for 2020, but he may not have still been available by then. Easts will be in the market for a new halfback or 5/8 for 2020, if Cronk decides to retire. Norman would have made a great halves partner for Milford at Brisbane. There would probably have been other clubs who could do with a good halfback or 5/8 too. I think we did the right thing signing Norman when we did and I think we got him for a nice price.

I too am keen to see how Field goes this year.

SBD82

Coach
I am so f**king pumped to see Sims running off Norman.

I love widdop, but down that channel I think Norman presents a better run/pass/kick threat.

If Sims can build on his great work from last year, I think he is going to have a massive year on the end of Norman’s service. That outside line that he runs is a pearler.

Old Timer

Coach
I am so f**king pumped to see Sims running off Norman.

I love widdop, but down that channel I think Norman presents a better run/pass/kick threat.

If Sims can build on his great work from last year, I think he is going to have a massive year on the end of Norman’s service. That outside line that he runs is a pearler.
We have to be careful as to who runs what lines especially on youtube.

41yearsaint

Juniors
I think Norman deserves the botd at present. Getting out of the Parra environment will do much more for him than most people think. He states he wants a fresh start and to realise his potential. Let's see if the "call of the wild" will beckon him, and is he now strong enough to resist it.
I agree,
This is his last shot to live up to is ability, if the call of the wild is too strong, well our premiership hopes after Widdop leaves are very slim.
I'm hoping his sponsor signed him in the belief that they will get the scoop on the good stories, not the other way around.
BOTD ATM, am a bit worried though.

getsmarty

Immortal
Norman ready to be 'the man' in big moments
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 29 Mar 2019, 05:01 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

It took less than seven minutes of life without Gareth Widdop for Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman to showcase he is ready to step up in the clutch moments in the absence of his inspirational skipper.

When Widdop left the field clutching a dislocated right shoulder in the 73rd minute against the Broncos, and with the scores level at 24-24, the Dragons had lost their chief field goal exponent.

Norman, who had landed one field goal in his previous 172 NRL games, demanded the ball with seconds remaining and calmly potted a left-footer from 32m out to clinch the team's first win of the season.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor praised Norman after the match for the way he "goes to the game" in the big moments.

Norman said Widdop would have been the go-to man for the field goal.

"Gaz probably would have taken it. When we practise them Gaz has taken them but obviously he wasn’t there so I said 'sweet, give it here'," Norman said.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Dragons

"My strike rate with field goals in the NRL ain’t that good. That was my second one but I am more than willing to step up and have a crack at it.

"It did feel good. It was one of those ones where you hit it and you can see it going over."

With the Dragons set to be without Widdop for an extended period, half Ben Hunt said Norman was a player the side could count on to step up.

"Corey is the kind of guy where things don’t really faze him out there on the field. He always comes up with those sort of plays because he wants the ball in his hands when it counts," Hunt said.

"He has a silky pass and a good kicking game and we saw that, and he finished off with a field goal which shows he has the clutch plays in him as well."

Hunt and Norman played together at the Broncos in the halves in under 20s but only on several occasions in the NRL.

Norman was aware of the criticism coming his way in the opening two rounds after his switch from the Eels but said he never lost faith in his combination with Hunt.

"Everyone on the outside thought it was going to happen straight away … but with time together it naturally gets better," he said.

"The spine was getting a bit of heat but I thought our defence wasn't up to scratch the first two weeks. As a spine we just wanted to fix our defence and we scrapped away a good win."

Hunt’s running and passing game was on song against Brisbane and his last-gasp tackle on Alex Glenn on the try line was crucial to the result, but said his kicking still needed work.

"I’ve worked really hard on my running game and defending well and they are two things I thought I did pretty good, but one thing that let us down was our kicking …definitely in the first half anyway,” Hunt said.

“That is something we need to improve. Any halves combination is going to take a bit of time and I think we are going in the right direction.

Dragons rally around Widdop

"We are communicating. working out what each other wants to do and what sort of plays work for each other and what doesn’t."

Hunt was crestfallen for Widdop but said Matt Dufty would not let the side down at fullback.

"It is devastating for Gaz. It is pretty much the exact same thing he did last year up here [in the elimination semi-final]. It is definitely going to hurt us. He is our inspiration,” Hunt said.

"Obviously Duft is different to Gareth at the back but he is a little jack rabbit who brings speed and energy. He is going to do a good job … similar to what Duft brought last year."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/29/norman-ready-to-be-the-man-in-big-moments/

BBTB

Juniors
I agree,
This is his last shot to live up to is ability, if the call of the wild is too strong, well our premiership hopes after Widdop leaves are very slim.
I'm hoping his sponsor signed him in the belief that they will get the scoop on the good stories, not the other way around.
BOTD ATM, am a bit worried though.
Well I'm 64 years a saint.
Poppa clay was my hero
Personally I think our team is better off, with Widdop gone.
His efforts against the Broncos nearly cost us the game.

Latest posts