What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

_Johnsy

Referee
Re: the PM’s presser tonight & generally throughout this pandemic.

Jesus wept he talks a lot, but rarely says anything of substance. Lots of rambling. Just remember kids don’t congregate at trampolining venues.

Brutus

Referee
Re: the PM’s presser tonight & generally throughout this pandemic.

Jesus wept he talks a lot, but rarely says anything of substance. Lots of rambling. Just remember kids don’t congregate at trampolining venues.

He's much better than that waffling idiot he replaced as PM that's for sure.

Brutus

Referee
Paul Kent could go through about 7-8 clubs that are genuinely under threat, really.

I wouldn't be alarmed at all if I were a NZ fan.

That will be his dumb show for the next couple of months - speculating which clubs will die.

I happen to think none will die. The TV deal requires 16 teams. The NRL will move heaven and earth to ensure this remains the case.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Thinking outside the square - how to save the 2020 NRL season:

1. Split teams into 2x conferences of 8 teams, seeded by combined ladder rankings from 2018 and 2019 seasons.

2. Weeks 1-4: Conference A (Con A) teams play 4 rounds in one location from the first weekend of May. At the conclusion of these fixtures, Con A teams return to their home cities and individuals will self isolate per current guidelines.

3. Weeks 5-8: Conference B teams play 4 rounds in one location. At the conclusion of these fixtures, Con B teams return to their home cities and individuals will self isolate per current guidelines.

4. Weeks 9-12: Con A teams will play their remaining 3 rounds from one location.
5. Weeks 13-16: While Con A teams self isolate, Con B teams play their remaining 3 rounds from one location.
6. Week 17: bye week - no fixtures played
7. Weeks 18-20: modified finals series where the top 4 teams from each Conference advance to the finals. To be played in Sydney.
Week 1 - i A1 v B4, ii B1 v A4, iii A2 v B3, iv B2 v A3.
Week 2 - winner i v winner iv, winner ii v winner iii
Week 3 - grand final

PROS: 1. Teams are isolated for only 1 month at a time, addresses the issue of players being away from their families for an extended period of time.
2. Allows 4 games to be played each week.
CONS: 1. Conference system will see some teams not play each other until the finals, if at all.
2. 2020 Premiers may not be regarded as "true" premiers due to the disrupted season.

Logistics to be worked out - one would assume that cameramen and officials would also be isolated same as the teams. Commentary and broadcast production can be performed remotely. TV broadcasts may be pared back to the basics to cut costs. So no fancy graphics or Gus Gould pre-game monologues on a darkened SCG pitch. Playing squads would need to be expanded to cover for injuries and suspensions - this would come from NSW and QLD Cup feeder teams.

Stay safe and healthy,
MT

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you need cheering up, and want to improve your opinion of Scomo, watch any interview with Trump over the last few days. The guy is comic gold, as long as your not American and relying on him to steer your country through a crisis!

some11

Referee
That will be his dumb show for the next couple of months - speculating which clubs will die.

I happen to think none will die. The TV deal requires 16 teams. The NRL will move heaven and earth to ensure this remains the case.
Expansion is definitely off the table for another decade though.

It'll take two rounds of rights deals to get the game back on its feet.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
While I am no fan of Kevin Rudd in any way shape or form. This is the type of thinking we need from the man in charge.

From Twitter:
“With schools closing, if students have no effective internet access, a practical way forward might be redeploying ABC multi-channels (ABC Kids, ME and HD) to deliver the agreed national curriculum.”

The Libs have f*cked up so many things in the last 7 years, it is hard to even explain all the directions people are now getting f*cked from....

- Work/study from home (no NBN)
- Applying for dole (cut funds for Centrelink service)
- Heaps of people suddenly getting life-threatening illness (cut +$50bil from hospitals)
- Big breaks in the international supply chain (drove manufacturers out of the country and turned Aus into a service economy)
- Sick people turning up to ariports (cut funds from boarder security )
- People are panic buying or just ignoring health warnings (Destroyed faith in government, advocated individualism)
And Im sure i have missed a lot.

The long term benefit of this is that people are gonna start caring about government again and these useless Libs will finally be found out. Libs are the party people pick in the good times "get out of my way, dont take my money", but people will be in hell for the next 2 years until ScoMo is gone

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I dont think the ARLC will bailout the controlling LCs/owners though....

I think, if a club starts to wobble, the ARLC will take back the licence (like with the Knights and Titans) and sell it off to a new group.

So I think Relocations are definitely on the table. If, for example, Scott Penn defaults on a club payment or Canterbury LC goes belly-up, It doesnt seem likely that the ARLC will try to find a new buyer in the same location. I think the ARLC will pick a few expansion locations and try to find a new owner there.

EDIT: I wonder what the policy wouldbe with the club branding; try to please/maintain the old fans or just start fresh?

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
They have A LOT of catching up to do with Italy.

Whilst they are only 20,000 cases behind, they're currently around 5,500 less deaths. There are factors that contribute to this, including Italy have one of the oldest populations in the world.

That being said, they just added 9,900 cases in the last day. Their health system will collapse soon.

Italy easily has 10x the real cases to confirmed. Their numbers dont make any sense on any level. For example Australia and South Korea have way more people under 50 with the virus. Makes sense, people in that age group are out and about. Italy has only 22 percent of cases under 50. 70-79 is their most common age group for cases where ours is 20-29. They have 15% aged 80-89 and we have barely any.

What i reckon happened in italy is that they were only testing dying old geezers for a very long period of time as the virus spread like crazy through the general population undetected.

AJB1102

First Grade
I dont think the ARLC will bailout the controlling LCs/owners though....

I think, if a club starts to wobble, the ARLC will take back the licence (like with the Knights and Titans) and sell it off to a new group.

So I think Relocations are definitely on the table. If, for example, Scott Penn defaults on a club payment or Canterbury LC goes belly-up, It doesnt seem likely that the ARLC will try to find a new buyer in the same location. I think the ARLC will pick a few expansion locations and try to find a new owner there.

EDIT: I wonder what the policy wouldbe with the club branding; try to please/maintain the old fans or just start fresh?

Who are lining up in new markets (or anywhere) to buy Rugby League clubs?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Who are lining up in new markets (or anywhere) to buy Rugby League clubs?

So the obvious would be to go to a wealthy brisbane Leagues club and offer the West Rosellas/Newcastle Knights deal; you have control of the club, but the branding has to be inclusive for the whole city and you need to play out of the central stadium.

The obvious one is Easts Tigers in Brissy (I dont know much about them, but I have heard they are asset rich. If the Sydney LCs are able to pull through the next yearand still field a team, I assume the Brissy LCs should do ok as well). I am not privy to the financial aspects of the Perth bid or any potential backers in NZ, but I reckon there would be a few options around.

If a few Syd clubs fall and the ARLC begin looking around of a relocation deal, this will be a once-in-a-lifetime offer for some areas/owners (that is not being rhetorical). I reckon a few will be able to pull something together in the short term (knowing that we are probably only 5 years away from resuming our stable and growing economy)...

Italy easily has 10x the real cases to confirmed. Their numbers dont make any sense on any level. For example Australia and South Korea have way more people under 50 with the virus. Makes sense, people in that age group are out and about. Italy has only 22 percent of cases under 50. 70-79 is their most common age group for cases where ours is 20-29. They have 15% aged 80-89 and we have barely any.

What i reckon happened in italy is that they were only testing dying old geezers for a very long period of time as the virus spread like crazy through the general population undetected.

Don’t think it’s that simple, Pete. In Italy, everyone (including the elderly) are out and about in the markets, sitting by fountains or hanging out in piazzas. And way into the night too. It’s part of their culture. It partly explains why the virus took over like it did. Their elders don’t sit in their living rooms in front of big screen TVs like ours do here.