What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Wizardman

First Grade
Im embarrassed to be an NRL supporter at the moment. My big issue with sports starting early is that players get injured. Using medical resources when health professionals have more pressing matters to deal with is pretty selfish in my book. UFC have bought an island to get their sport going but I think its wrong for them to start up as well for the same reasons.

Spot On

Coach
Still the most watched sport on TV in this country. No broadcaster should forget that

I doesn't work that way anymore. Ten are a basketcase, 7 have paid close to 1$ billion for the AFL rights so aren't interested and Fox has just sacked 200 staff, let 140 more go and are looking to make further cuts. They won't answer the phones anymore so that people can't disconnect their service. They are shot.

There is no reason for Ch 9 to pay overs for the rights.

Noise

Coach
Im embarrassed to be an NRL supporter at the moment. My big issue with sports starting early is that players get injured. Using medical resources when health professionals have more pressing matters to deal with is pretty selfish in my book. UFC have bought an island to get their sport going but I think its wrong for them to start up as well for the same reasons.
Sports starting early? Horse Racing never even stopped.

JokerEel

Coach
I doesn't work that way anymore. Ten are a basketcase, 7 pay for the AFL so aren't interested and Fox has just sacked 200 staff, let 140 more go and are looking to make further cuts. They won't answer the phones anymore so that people can't disconnect their service. They are shot.

Do you make up everything you write?

JokerEel

Coach

People have died because of a government fudge up over letting people of a boat but NRL waaaaahhhaaaa

Cactus

Juniors
I doesn't work that way anymore. Ten are a basketcase, 7 have paid close to 1$ billion for the AFL rights so aren't interested and Fox has just sacked 200 staff, let 140 more go and are looking to make further cuts. They won't answer the phones anymore so that people can't disconnect their service. They are shot.

Must you take everything so literally.

And my comment about NRL being the most watched sport stands.

Danish

Referee

Yeah, somehow I don't think there are too many orthopaedic surgeons and physios treating covid patients mate

shear_joy9

Coach
Yeah, somehow I don't think there are too many orthopaedic surgeons and physios treating covid patients mate

There will be community uproar when an nrl player is transported in an ambulance to hospital for a broken arm or concussion.

Danish

Referee
There will be community uproar when an nrl player is transported in an ambulance to hospital for a broken arm or concussion.

Alright Karen.

We have like 50 people across the entire country in ICU for covid. Its not exactly stretching our medical system in Australia.

Danish

Referee
In two months, could be a totally different situation for the worst.

Sure, but there is nothing to show that as a likely situation today.

Aussie numbers have flattened, and are in fact coming back down the other side of the apex. Active cases are dropping like a stone right now. Even deaths, which generally lag behind the other stats, are now also flattening.

Its exponentially more likely that 2 months from now Aussie cases will be at zero as opposed to overrunning the hospital system.

lockyno1

Post Whore
We have like 50 people across the entire country in ICU for covid. Its not exactly stretching our medical system in Australia.

We haven't hit Winter, it's worse in Winter overseas at least. Our climate does help to a degree but we are a long way off being jumping up and celebrating yet. The vaccine (if we get one is a good 12 months away) needs to come before that is the case. They will probably develop anti viral drugs before then though

Spot On

Coach
Do you make up everything you write?

Take the lead from you buddy. Learnt from one of the best.

You are a decent dribbler.

You still believe Robbo and Ricky are frauds for having success only because they had 'squads built for them'?

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if Optus Sports will step up to the mark here.

I was never a fan of having to cast the EPL to my TV but thats only cuz I'm a lazy merkin and got used to just using the Foxtel remote for every sport. Got used to casting pretty quick as you can watch it at your leisure and Optus have been saying they want a bigger share of the Australian Sports market.

Well this may be their opportunity and they are not greedy merkins like Foxtell.

Danish

Referee
I wonder if Optus Sports will step up to the mark here.

I was never a fan of having to cast the EPL to my TV but thats only cuz I'm a lazy merkin and got used to just using the Foxtel remote for every sport. Got used to casting pretty quick as you can watch it at your leisure and Optus have been saying they want a bigger share of the Australian Sports market.

Well this may be their opportunity and they are not greedy merkins like Foxtell.

Problem is though Optus Sport don't have the provisions to actually broadcast. They just take the streams from other broadcasters for their current crop.

The NRL would be taking on a lot of additional responsibilities if they were to go with a partner that wasn't capable of actually producing content.

siv

First Grade
not true, club losses last year were around $20mill compared to around $60mill a few years ago. Still not great but it would be churlish to say a $5mill a year increase hasnt heLped clubs start to right their ships.

Sorry

But all of that is before Leagues Club grants which is a valid revenue stream

I will be interested to see how those clubs go now that Leagues Clubs have closed

You can bet they will stop spending on those extra items

Latest posts