What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

franklin2323

Immortal
AFL desperate to get their comp up and running. Just don't think 2 Adelaide, 2 Perth, 2 Sydney and 2 Brisbane teams want to play out of Melbourne...which, correct me if I'm wrong, seems to be worse off in this situation than Sydney/NSW.

The only real unknown NRL have is Interstate travel. If borders were open I’d be certain of making May 28.

AFL pencilled in June return so it is stupid to not think they have plans underway

Cactus

Juniors
There is always the option of notifying 9 that they are in breach of contract & then have it leaked we are in discussions with other broadcasters.

Cat...Pigeons...hardball.

greenBV4

Bench
The only real unknown NRL have is Interstate travel. If borders were open I’d be certain of making May 28.

AFL pencilled in June return so it is stupid to not think they have plans underway
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the new and vic borders still open? And the qld one is closed to incoming travellers but open for anyone to leave?

If it is Sydney that is going to host everyone, NZ would be the only problem, and even then all they would have to do is quarantine in a hotel for 14 days

King hit

Coach
It was really funny seeing Anastasia on the news tonight saying how much she wants the footy back. Yeah right I would be shocked if she knows any of the players in the NRL.

Pommy

Coach
So we are going to treat the players like prisoners for our entertainment??

Leave your homes, family and friends so we can watch you play a game. It’s not just the players either. You’ve got all the staff, trainers, physios, doctors etc all having to be locked down in the one spot. They’re not all on 500k a year. A lot are on min salary and the staff are on way less than that.

If I was only getting 30% of my wage I would be very keen to get started again.
The guys on a million a year are still getting 300k and they’re probably the ones most likely to be content to sit it out.

Chimp

Bench
If I was only getting 30% of my wage I would be very keen to get started again.
The guys on a million a year are still getting 300k and they’re probably the ones most likely to be content to sit it out.
I actually think the opposite, those going from a mil to 300k are the ones losing the most - and in all likelihood will have mortgages, investments and lifestyles built around their mil salary. Going from 100k to 30k, whilst a big cut to a lower paid person, their outgoings will also be lots lower and easier therefore to manage.

I actually think the opposite, those going from a mil to 300k are the ones losing the most - and in all likelihood will have mortgages, investments and lifestyles built around their mil salary. Going from 100k to 30k, whilst a big cut to a lower paid person, their outgoings will also be lots lower and easier therefore to manage.

How will they survive...

Pommy

Coach

I know you live to your income but losing an investment isn’t the same as losing a family home or telling the kids they can’t have XY and Z.
I know which category I would rather fall
In to.

Chimp

Bench
I know you live to your income but losing an investment isn’t the same as losing a family home or telling the kids they can’t have XY and Z.
I know which category I would rather fall
In to.
Thing is, I think someone dropping from a mil to 300k is more likely to lose their home than the lower wages - they’re more likely to have a mortgage that is a much bigger percent of their income.

shear_joy9

Coach
no idea where some of you are getting your figures from. From what I've read the players will receive their normal wages until the start of August. If the season doesn't restart at all then they will lose their final 5 months of salary. So worst case they will lose 41.66% of yearly salary.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So we are going to treat the players like prisoners for our entertainment??

Leave your homes, family and friends so we can watch you play a game. It’s not just the players either. You’ve got all the staff, trainers, physios, doctors etc all having to be locked down in the one spot. They’re not all on 500k a year. A lot are on min salary and the staff are on way less than that.

Shocking!! Terrible!!

Its almost like packing them up and sending them on a tour to England for 2 months. We would NEVER do that.......

Pommy

Coach
Thing is, I think someone dropping from a mil to 300k is more likely to lose their home than the lower wages - they’re more likely to have a mortgage that is a much bigger percent of their income.

Are they though? Someone on 80k is pretty likely to have a mortgage 10x their income in Sydney, is a million dollar player going to have an $8m house?

TheFrog

Coach
It is plainly idiotic to announce an arbitrary return date and then when you're asked about details and plans you say "ummm, i dunno...we'll figure that out." You figure out the plans, the logistics, the legal limitations FIRST. And only then when you are across every detail do you know exactly what date is possible.
The thing is, players need a months notice so they can return to full training. I don't see much issue with putting it back a week or two when the time comes. Better than completely unfit players taking the field for NRL matches.

TheFrog

Coach
10 news reported that Nine want Friday and Sunday Games exclusively and this is why they are carrying on about tv rights.
CH10 getting leaks from the NRL
The time to do that is new contract time, and its going to cost you quite a bit extra. This is not the time for such demands, and the NRL should tell them to get nicked, which maybe was what led to last week's extraordinary dummy spit.

Latest posts