What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
When slothfield is the shining knight on horseback come to save the NRLs reputation you know we are living a truly f**ked up world!

going to be funny watching fox and nine journos battle over which channel has screwed the game the most!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So, we now know that it costs 500K a week to run the game. Are you any chance of breaking that down for us??? Or is it to be broken down using your categories and percentage amounts from previous posts??? ie 3.8% of that 500K a week goes to admin costs???

You realize that this $500k per week is averaged, right?

So, yeah. You can say 3.8% of $500k goes to admin as it would be equally accurate as the original $500k.

John Barilaro reveals why NSW Government is backing return of NRL
Only days after NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard questioned restarting rugby league amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mr Barilaro is now joining the Australian Rugby League Commission’s Project Apollo push personally.

A close friend of Canberra coach Ricky Stuart, the Deputy Premier said he expected to receive some criticism for helping fast-track rugby league’s return, and within just seven weeks, ahead of other major sports and industries.

However, the state government’s eagerness to revive the NRL competition is, he said, driven by the “significant uplift” it would provide NSW, both economically and from a social and wellbeing perspective.

Mr Barilaro added that, starting this week, he would also be offering to personally assist ARLC chairman Peter V’landys with issues like both the Queensland border situation and travel requirements for the returning New Zealand Warriors.

Incredibly, the announcement comes only days after Mr Hazzard not only questioned rugby league’s return, but suggested the code’s announced May 28 restart was yet to be confirmed.

Asked if Mr Hazzard should have better understood the government’s standing on the situation, the Deputy Premier said: “Brad probably should have but this is a moving beast and he’s been focused on the health disaster.

“I know he spoke about signing off on the orders, but I’m not sure if he was talking about signing off on protocols to ensure people are protected or if there was confusion around whether he has to do it legally. But he doesn’t.

“The reality is that the NRL chose to close itself down at the height of the pandemic. It made that decision for the welfare and wellbeing of its own staff, players and clubs. But there is no public order which stops rugby league from taking place.

“It’s no different to racing (which has been ongoing).

“So while there may have been some confusion, I can tell you that in the conversation I’ve had with the Premier and the Treasurer, we’ve all spoken about the NRL (returning) and said ‘yes, absolutely’. Of course we’ll sit down with them to check through protocols and measures, but we want to see the game up and running.”

Asked if the May 28 return date had state government support, Mr Barilaro was adamant: “It does.” He added that, from this week, he would begin liaising with all the relevant state and federal bodies to ensure the hyped Project Apollo date is met.

“And I’ll likely cop grief from other codes like soccer and Aussie rules,” he said.

“There will be people ask ‘why aren’t you saying the same for all?’. And I would say the same for all.

“But rugby league is at the heart of everything we do in NSW. I’ve been talking with a lot of people this past week and it’s clear that as the infections decrease, we start looking to where you lift restrictions with economic uplift, social uplift and mental wellbeing uplift.

“Where can you do that and minimise health risk?

“That’s what treasury will do with health experts for every industry.

“And when it comes to rugby league, the economic uplift will be significant. Just as the social and wellbeing uplift will be significant.

“There’s a real case there of looking at risk versus all those other opportunities and saying ‘yes, rugby league should be one of the first industries that should get the go ahead’.”

Asked if reviving the NRL would really help with the wellbeing of thousands left unemployed by COVID-19, Mr Barilaro said: “Look, it’s a tough one. And I’ve copped some criticism (for saying it will). But there’s a real issue right now because self-isolation is contrary to the Australian DNA.

“And I have no doubt that as much as we’re all hurting, rugby league can lift spirits.

“Rugby league brings families together. It sends a message that there is a level of normality on the horizon.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/4dda20c568d54e09eaa6ad4091c2679a

Peter Fitzsimmons just fainted, but when he awakens & unclutches his pearls, there will be a reckoning in his column, let me tell you that.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
Of course is an agenda but why should ch9 just get given them? They want it then should pay
There is no way Fox or the NRL will give 9 exclusive rights to any games without 9 having to substantially up how much they are paying to buy some games from Fox. With the parlous state of 9's finances the NRL would also ask for part or all of this money upfront same as they did for the $50 million that the morons at 9 have tried to spin that they lent the NRL the money on the goodness of their hearts when in reality the NRL were concerned about how solvent 9 were at the time and asked for the money upfront.

Hopefully this turns into a major shit fight and 9 lose the rights to broadcast Rugby League period. Ten's ratings would go through the roof if they picked up the game and 9 would occupy last spot among the FTA stations where Ten sits now. Watch how fast advertisers would flee from 9 if this were to happen.

When slothfield is the shining knight on horseback come to save the NRLs reputation you know we are living a truly fcked up world!

going to be funny watching fox and nine journos battle over which channel has screwed the game the most!

Looking forward to the Buzz article if/when the NRL decides to fully go in-house with its own production and piss Fox off for good.

We should’ve signed with channel ten when we had the chance. I know it was 200mil less but the network desperately needed a high rating product and wouldn’t have been as demanding as nine on scheduling. It would’ve been more supportive of the game given it was its new baby. We would eventually see a better deal come next negotiation as both companies grew. The NRL went top-dollar in the end cos they were in a pissing contest with the AFL

TheFrog

Coach
John Barilaro reveals why NSW Government is backing return of NRL
Only days after NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard questioned restarting rugby league amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mr Barilaro is now joining the Australian Rugby League Commission’s Project Apollo push personally.

A close friend of Canberra coach Ricky Stuart, the Deputy Premier said he expected to receive some criticism for helping fast-track rugby league’s return, and within just seven weeks, ahead of other major sports and industries.

However, the state government’s eagerness to revive the NRL competition is, he said, driven by the “significant uplift” it would provide NSW, both economically and from a social and wellbeing perspective.

Mr Barilaro added that, starting this week, he would also be offering to personally assist ARLC chairman Peter V’landys with issues like both the Queensland border situation and travel requirements for the returning New Zealand Warriors.

Incredibly, the announcement comes only days after Mr Hazzard not only questioned rugby league’s return, but suggested the code’s announced May 28 restart was yet to be confirmed.

Asked if Mr Hazzard should have better understood the government’s standing on the situation, the Deputy Premier said: “Brad probably should have but this is a moving beast and he’s been focused on the health disaster.

“I know he spoke about signing off on the orders, but I’m not sure if he was talking about signing off on protocols to ensure people are protected or if there was confusion around whether he has to do it legally. But he doesn’t.

“The reality is that the NRL chose to close itself down at the height of the pandemic. It made that decision for the welfare and wellbeing of its own staff, players and clubs. But there is no public order which stops rugby league from taking place.

“It’s no different to racing (which has been ongoing).

“So while there may have been some confusion, I can tell you that in the conversation I’ve had with the Premier and the Treasurer, we’ve all spoken about the NRL (returning) and said ‘yes, absolutely’. Of course we’ll sit down with them to check through protocols and measures, but we want to see the game up and running.”

Asked if the May 28 return date had state government support, Mr Barilaro was adamant: “It does.” He added that, from this week, he would begin liaising with all the relevant state and federal bodies to ensure the hyped Project Apollo date is met.

“And I’ll likely cop grief from other codes like soccer and Aussie rules,” he said.

“There will be people ask ‘why aren’t you saying the same for all?’. And I would say the same for all.

“But rugby league is at the heart of everything we do in NSW. I’ve been talking with a lot of people this past week and it’s clear that as the infections decrease, we start looking to where you lift restrictions with economic uplift, social uplift and mental wellbeing uplift.

“Where can you do that and minimise health risk?

“That’s what treasury will do with health experts for every industry.

“And when it comes to rugby league, the economic uplift will be significant. Just as the social and wellbeing uplift will be significant.

“There’s a real case there of looking at risk versus all those other opportunities and saying ‘yes, rugby league should be one of the first industries that should get the go ahead’.”

Asked if reviving the NRL would really help with the wellbeing of thousands left unemployed by COVID-19, Mr Barilaro said: “Look, it’s a tough one. And I’ve copped some criticism (for saying it will). But there’s a real issue right now because self-isolation is contrary to the Australian DNA.

“And I have no doubt that as much as we’re all hurting, rugby league can lift spirits.

“Rugby league brings families together. It sends a message that there is a level of normality on the horizon.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/4dda20c568d54e09eaa6ad4091c2679a

Meanwhile you've got Gladys saying she has not approved the return. You at least wish they'd talk to each other, rather than playing silly buggers.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...nsw-government-again-calls-move-into-question

No paywall on this one.

Heisenberg

Juniors
We should’ve signed with channel ten when we had the chance. I know it was 200mil less but the network desperately needed a high rating product and wouldn’t have been as demanding as nine on scheduling. It would’ve been more supportive of the game given it was its new baby. We would eventually see a better deal come next negotiation as both companies grew. The NRL went top-dollar in the end cos they were in a pissing contest with the AFL

Did this not happen because the incumbents had first and last right of refusal? This may have been the previous deal, I can’t recall.

This is a huge opportunity for the NRL to stand up for itself

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Meanwhile you've got Gladys saying she has not approved the return. You at least wish they'd talk to each other, rather than playing silly buggers.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...nsw-government-again-calls-move-into-question

No paywall on this one.
The only reason this is a debate is because everyone's treating it as an absolute.

It's not. Gladys hasn't "approved anything yet" because this shit is still 45 days away and a shitload can change in that time. Nothing about this is certain at all, they've set a date and they're working toward it. Whether it actually happens, who knows.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The only reason this is a debate is because everyone's treating it as an absolute.

It's not. Gladys hasn't "approved anything yet" because this shit is still 45 days away and a shitload can change in that time. Nothing about this is certain at all, they've set a date and they're working toward it. Whether it actually happens, who knows.
Plus the fact a few pollies are using the talking point that “the gov didn’t order a stop, RL stopped playing RL” or something along those lines. If the gov hasn’t rule that RL have to stop the comp, then why would they need approval (apart from complying with rules and regulations) to start?

seanoff

Juniors
Plus the fact a few pollies are using the talking point that “the gov didn’t order a stop, RL stopped playing RL” or something along those lines. If the gov hasn’t rule that RL have to stop the comp, then why would they need approval (apart from complying with rules and regulations) to start?
Because it crosses state/National borders. It’s going to need some sort of dispensation from NZ, Victoria and Queensland to allow the players from other places to come in and not be quarantined for 14 days.
The NRL cannot operate in a vacuum. It might be possible to have the NSW teams to play with govt blessing but there are teams in other places that may not be quite so keen.

T-Boon

Coach
Gould is cursed. When was the last time he was involved in something that didn't go bad? Channel nine, Penrith, The footy show, player agent.

skot

Juniors
Not sure if this has been covered in discussion BUT IF the NRL somehow get a competition of sorts going this year and for arguments sake it is reduced to a 16 or 18 game comp, do the players on suspension after round 2 have to serve out their whole suspension or will they be rationed down in some sort of Duckworth Lewis calculation. eg If a player has been given 4 weeks suspension, that equates to approx 1/6 of the season. If we have an 18 game season...should that be dropped to 3 weeks ?

Canard

Immortal
Because it crosses state/National borders. It’s going to need some sort of dispensation from NZ, Victoria and Queensland to allow the players from other places to come in and not be quarantined for 14 days.
The NRL cannot operate in a vacuum. It might be possible to have the NSW teams to play with govt blessing but there are teams in other places that may not be quite so keen.

At least initially the idea would be to play all the games in one venue/ location surely?

TheFrog

Coach
My guess would be they have to serve the number of weeks they were suspended for. There can't be more than two or three of them anyway.

big hit!

Bench

and given how desperate the NRL are to restart operations, it seems the extra 200m wasn't even enough, or head office are blowing it on catering, entertainment, and per diems. we have to remember that any competition played in neutral venues is basically a competition with little integrity.

There is no other professional sport in the world that appears as desperate as the NRL to get back on the park. Granted, most other Leagues are in the back end of their seasons, and have already received broadcast rights payments for their seasons, and this is significant. I haven't heard (or looked too hard into it either) much about MLB and their approach to this, given their season will be just about wiped out too.

I do agree the NRL should've looked at the Ch10 offer and considered the leverage for scheduling they would've had. $200m less, but perhaps clubs could've made that revenue up for themselves with better scheduling of matches (more day games / no thursday friday 6pm or monday night), better numbers through the gates, and promote more organic sources of revenue rather than relying on gamblers to subsidise a football business. the further we go with the comp admin making sacrifices for broadcasters to make more of the game's quid, the harder it will be to strip it back, if at all possible.

Latest posts