What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

T-Boon

Coach
Schedule Saturday and Sunday morning games to be broadcast into the USA/LA prime time?
They are begging for things to watch over there and they have no sport. We should try to get it happening.

Schedule Saturday and Sunday morning games to be broadcast into the USA/LA prime time?
They are begging for things to watch over there and they have no sport. We should try to get it happening.
Only if they're played in Quarters
The yanks would turn off in disgust if they keep playing 40 min halves

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
On the topic of the demise of union some Kiwis (presuming they are) got very defensive on reddit yesterday when I told them no one cares about union here anymore. They still don’t get it.

The NRL should go and offer the All Blacks an annual 3-game series against the Kangaroos (RL rules obviously)

They might feel dirty the first year, but they will get used to it. They do need the money.

Cactus

Juniors
The NRL should go and offer the All Blacks an annual 3-game series against the Kangaroos (RL rules obviously)

They might feel dirty the first year, but they will get used to it. They do need the money.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

some11

Referee
I like the cut of his gib, this vlandys bloke. Get out of my way everyone, rugbaleeg is coming back!

Without his intestinal fortitude, we’d be like all the other softcock sports. I’m looking at you afl. Now their fans are waiting another month at least before knowing a restart date.

Way to go Pete, now at least some normalcy isn’t too far away thanks to your conviction. And f**k you channel 9 for wanting to give us a measly 13 games. I’m quite happy if we get 17 more for a total of 19. If it all works out it will be excellent considering. And having SOO when (hopefully) we’re in the clear and allowed to attend the footy again, may be a blessing in disguise.

Rugbaleeg f**k yeahhh
Small dick energy nine bluffed

Big rugba leg dick playa PVL called their bluff and said honor your contract, we're ready to go.

Vee

First Grade
From https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...league-tsar-must-be-born-20200424-p54mx6.html

At least this bloke claims to be a lawyer, good and bad in this depending on what's in the broadcast contract, thought it was worth posting.

But force majeure clauses typically also include a sting in the tail; a provision that says that if the unforeseeable circumstances preventing compliance with a contract’s terms continue to exist for longer than a specified period - say 90 days, or longer - the non-affected party (sometimes either party) can elect to terminate the whole deal.

The NRL competition was suspended on March 23; it’s slated to definitely, maybe resume on May 28. That’s a 66-day period. It isn’t inconceivable that rugby league’s broadcasters - including Channel Nine, publishers of this masthead - have the subsisting contractual right to walk away entirely from broadcasting rugby league, if the game doesn’t resume this side of 30 June. That would be an unmitigated disaster.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Interchanges could be lifted to 10 amid a host of rule changes being considered by the NRL in a bid to protect players from injury once they return to the field on May 28.

The Sunday Telegraph has learnt a number of proposals are being thought out as part of several committees established by the NRL ahead of their planned return.

Among the considerations include:

– Lifting interchanges from eight to 10.

– Introducing an 18th man who can take to the field if a player is ruled out because of concussion.

– Having a 15-minute halftime instead of 10.

– Potential for drink beaks at the 20th minute mark.

– 20 players available for selection up to an hour before kick-off.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/9c2e3db4a7a3d979947fdc5eb4fba6be

TheFrog

Coach
From https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...league-tsar-must-be-born-20200424-p54mx6.html

At least this bloke claims to be a lawyer, good and bad in this depending on what's in the broadcast contract, thought it was worth posting.

But force majeure clauses typically also include a sting in the tail; a provision that says that if the unforeseeable circumstances preventing compliance with a contract’s terms continue to exist for longer than a specified period - say 90 days, or longer - the non-affected party (sometimes either party) can elect to terminate the whole deal.

The NRL competition was suspended on March 23; it’s slated to definitely, maybe resume on May 28. That’s a 66-day period. It isn’t inconceivable that rugby league’s broadcasters - including Channel Nine, publishers of this masthead - have the subsisting contractual right to walk away entirely from broadcasting rugby league, if the game doesn’t resume this side of 30 June. That would be an unmitigated disaster.
This would certainly explain why Nine were trying to get it put back to a later start. The date of the suspension starting would be March 26, the first day the NRL did not have content for Nine to broadcast as per the contract.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Interchanges could be lifted to 10 amid a host of rule changes being considered by the NRL in a bid to protect players from injury once they return to the field on May 28.

The Sunday Telegraph has learnt a number of proposals are being thought out as part of several committees established by the NRL ahead of their planned return.

– Introducing an 18th man who can take to the field if a player is ruled out because of concussion.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/9c2e3db4a7a3d979947fdc5eb4fba6be

Fantastic. A whole series of changes with unintended consequences and opportunities for coaches to exploit.

Might also be time for eight tackle set while we're at it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, ok. I would also increase the number of bench players to 6

I actually see this causing MORE injuries as players will be cooling down

Good depending how it is handled. I would say: The first stoppage after 18m and 58 min (scrum, dropout, points) gets an extended break. So no siren stopping us in the middle of play, just waiting for a natural stoppage.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

That would be an unmitigated disaster.

A disaster for who? NRL get to put their rights out to the market (maybe they take a cut to go to 9, but who gives a shit)

C9, meanwhile, loses Australias most valuable sporting content to a competitor.

I feel like C9 definitely comes out worse here.....

Xcalibre

Juniors
I don’t see the need for vastly different rules. Losing a player due concussion is logical regardless of the circumstances and relaxed interchange rules also make sense with the players not have done proper training for 2 months when the comp resumes, but I don’t think you need to make any other changes. If it’s too hot at the tail end of the season they can have drink breaks like they often do early season.

shear_joy9

Coach
Untitled.png

Jesus Vlandys, clean your desk you slob

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Please no. I'm sure there was a study that more interchanges and fresher players actually results in more injuries.

TheFrog

Coach
If there's no reserve grade, they are going to have to have some way of keeping an extended squad of players match fit.

Reactions: siv

greenBV4

Bench

Nah just use that English loan we got to buy out Rugby Australia, can't be worth much at the moment, then convert all the clubs and grassroots systems to League

Bring in the Reds as Brisbane 2, Rebels as Melbourne 2, bring back the force in Perth and move the Brumbies to Adelaide, merge the Waratahs with a struggling Sydney team

Rename the national team the Wallabyroos

We'll be left with a nail in RUs coffin and a truly national NRL :slight_smile:

Perth Red

Post Whore

in my experience in our business most contracts with these type of force majeures in them state that the delivery of the contract can be suspended until the episode is over and normal business can resume. We’ve never had one with a time limited period attached.

Not sure I’d be putting Ecclestone up as a great example, some of the sht in F1 when he was in charge led to drivers deaths. Watch the senna doco!

Latest posts