What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

taste2taste

Juniors
Fitzsimmons is at it again in the SMH. League bashing, telling Gladys to shut down the NRL.

Strangely, his article doesn't mention suburban rugby union plans to start up in July, only a month after the NRL. Funny that he should forget to mention that lol

Diesel

Referee
Old hankyhead normally writes about the ANZACs this time of year. Obviously he’s so obsessed with the NRL he’s forgotten to write his normal piece

LeagueXIII

First Grade
One thing i will say about Vlad is that he seems to always get what he wants...

He seems to have been campaigning for control of RL since Gallop left = now the Chairman
He says that the NRL will restart on the 28th = 9 falls into line
He wants Todd gone = yeh

For me, the question isnt “can he do it?”
The question is “what does he WANT done?”

As long as the game always wins, and he keeps control of digital arm and News Ltd don't get too much influence then I may start to trust him. He did handle Nine well, tough, just how we like our leaders.

big hit!

Bench
really makes you wonder how we got into this position, with broadcasters telling the NRL how to run the game, maybe we have been too soft for tool long

we have a product they they should be bidding for, not dictating how to run it

now really is the time to stand up to them before we get trampled on

wonder? where have you been mate?

how did we get to thursday night footy? how did we get to friday evening 6pm starts? because the governing body itself decided to neglect supporters and s**t itself only for broadcast rights money.

perhaps if the NRL in the past had protected its scheduling, and given clubs and the game itself a chance to build crowds, a game-day revenue stream, and some prestige instead school night footy, games when folks are still driving home from work on fridays, fox super saturdays and 10k in an 80k stadium on cold winter nights, we wouldn't have broadcasters thinking they run the game. Previous administrations have allowed them too. and financially they actually do.

NFL and EPL play the bulk of their matches during the day in traditional time slot (1 & 4pm ET Sundays for NFL, 3pm Saturdays for EPL). Rugby League's traditional time slot doesn't exist anymore. In fact, we get just 2 matches Sundays when it used to 5 or 6.

Nothing the NRL has done has grown it or acquired it for its benefit. The Great Southern Stand renovation at the MCG was part funded by the AFL and in return they got a 30-yr lease to share the ground with cricket. They're now the major tenant of the MCG. They even own Docklands Stadium. They were a broke organisation at one stage in the 80s. They built crowds, built prestige, built a brand, and now they're #1.

NFL teams are so important to the economy and prestige of their cities that the latter will build new stadiums for them.

Rugby League has practically no pull, because it chose to be a predominantly lounge room sport. They rely 99% on broadcasters. So of course the broadcasters think they have the clout.

Last edited:

Angry_eel

First Grade
wonder? where have you been mate?

how did we get to thursday night footy? how did we get to friday evening 6pm starts? because the governing body itself decided to neglect supporters and s**t itself only for broadcast rights money.

perhaps if the NRL in the past had protected its scheduling, and given clubs and the game itself a chance to build crowds, a game-day revenue stream, and some prestige instead school night footy, games when folks are still driving home from work on fridays, fox super saturdays and 10k in an 80k stadium on cold winter nights, we wouldn't have broadcasters thinking they run the game. Previous administrations have allowed them too. and financially they actually do.

NFL and EPL play the bulk of their matches during the day in traditional time slot (1 & 4pm ET Sundays for NFL, 3pm Saturdays for EPL). Rugby League's traditional time slot doesn't exist anymore. In fact, we get just 2 matches Sundays when it used to 5 or 6.

Nothing the NRL has done has grown it or acquired it for its benefit. The Great Southern Stand renovation at the MCG was part funded by the AFL and in return they got a 30-yr lease to share the ground with cricket. They even own Docklands Stadium. They were a broke organisation at one stage in the 80s. They built crowds, built prestige, built a brand, and now they're #1.

NFL teams are so important to the economy and prestige of their cities that the latter will build new stadiums for them.

Rugby League has practically no pull, because it chose to be a predominantly lounge room sport. They rely 99% on broadcasters. So of course the broadcasters think they have the clout.

You're mostly right but you're ignoring one thing. The biggest city for the NRL has gone through tremendous development since the 80s. The wealth of the city has kept NRL propped up but removed traditional crowds from areas.

Look at the demographic shift of a number of teams like Roosters, West Tigers and Parramatta. These teams should have moved areas a while back.

For example - Parramatta runs buses for fans on the Hornsby, Carlingford and Rouse Hill lines to get them to the stadium in 3 different directions, sometimes 20km away. It makes it much much easier for Parramatta fans to be lounge supporters. Same goes for old Balmain and Roosters supporters.

Look at Manly, in the 80s a powerhouse. Most people think of themselves as posh in the northern beaches now and won't attend the games. Or they've moved in from England or elsewhere and don't give a chuck about NRL.

I don't think Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth have had demographic shifts like that.

TheFrog

Coach
I don't think Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth have had demographic shifts like that.
Melbourne certainly has. Of the 9 Melbourne-based AFL clubs none are further than 8km from the CBD, whereas contigious suburbia extends out 40km or so.

Sydney and Melbourne are completely different. Melbourne will come out to watch two flies crawl up a wall, but Sydney likes events. That is why Bankwest stadium has done well in its first year but will do less and less well as time goes on.

greenBV4

Bench
Melbourne definitely has, every Melbourne AFL club is located within this red circle, while I'd be fairly confident the majority of most if not all of those clubs support comes from outside of it. The blue star is roughly the population and geographical centre of Melbourne (Glen Iris & Malvern), and the distance from Essendon to St Kilda (the 2 furthest away clubs) is only around 14km

The difference is the better transport links to the central stadiums and the willingness of fans to actually travel
Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 11.35.22 am.png

mozza91

Coach
Fitzsimmons is at it again in the SMH. League bashing, telling Gladys to shut down the NRL.

Strangely, his article doesn't mention suburban rugby union plans to start up in July, only a month after the NRL. Funny that he should forget to mention that lol
Normally people who wear bandanas have cancer. If only this was the case for Fitzsimmons.

Reactions: Vee

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're mostly right but you're ignoring one thing. The biggest city for the NRL has gone through tremendous development since the 80s. The wealth of the city has kept NRL propped up but removed traditional crowds from areas.

Look at the demographic shift of a number of teams like Roosters, West Tigers and Parramatta. These teams should have moved areas a while back.

For example - Parramatta runs buses for fans on the Hornsby, Carlingford and Rouse Hill lines to get them to the stadium in 3 different directions, sometimes 20km away. It makes it much much easier for Parramatta fans to be lounge supporters. Same goes for old Balmain and Roosters supporters.

Look at Manly, in the 80s a powerhouse. Most people think of themselves as posh in the northern beaches now and won't attend the games. Or they've moved in from England or elsewhere and don't give a chuck about NRL.

not sure about the other cities but perth has had a massive demographic and geographical shift over last twenty years. The city effectively runs for about 125km up and down the coast now and the 40% population growth has largely been from east coasters, kiwis, poms and saffers moving here. Difference seems to be that perth people have no issues travelling 20-50km to get to the game. Probably always having had central stadiums over suburban ones means people don’t expect the game to be on their doorstep. Also people seem to be more willing to follow afl from other countries, most of my die hard soccer loving Pom friends who’ve moved here have adopted a perth afl club. No idea why RL can’t attract immigrants in same numbers, maybe it’s seen as the Aussie thing to do in afl cities?
The new stadium with direct public transport services has driven another major crowd increase for the two big clubs here in last couple of years.

Silent Knight

First Grade
She took no notice of him on the stadium, I don't suppose she'll take much notice of him on this.

images

images

mongoose

Coach
not sure about the other cities but perth has had a massive demographic and geographical shift over last twenty years. The city effectively runs for about 125km up and down the coast now and the 40% population growth has largely been from east coasters, kiwis, poms and saffers moving here. Difference seems to be that perth people have no issues travelling 20-50km to get to the game. Probably always having had central stadiums over suburban ones means people don’t expect the game to be on their doorstep. Also people seem to be more willing to follow afl from other countries, most of my die hard soccer loving Pom friends who’ve moved here have adopted a perth afl club. No idea why RL can’t attract immigrants in same numbers, maybe it’s seen as the Aussie thing to do in afl cities?
The new stadium with direct public transport services has driven another major crowd increase for the two big clubs here in last couple of years.

It's a lot easier to get around Perth than Sydney by car. Perth almost covers a similar area than Sydney now but has less than half the population. Anyway clubs like the Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Dragons have plenty of followers who are clearly immigrants.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I like the cut of his gib, this vlandys bloke. Get out of my way everyone, rugbaleeg is coming back!

Without his intestinal fortitude, we’d be like all the other softcock sports. I’m looking at you afl. Now their fans are waiting another month at least before knowing a restart date.

Way to go Pete, now at least some normalcy isn’t too far away thanks to your conviction. And f**k you channel 9 for wanting to give us a measly 13 games. I’m quite happy if we get 17 more for a total of 19. If it all works out it will be excellent considering. And having SOO when (hopefully) we’re in the clear and allowed to attend the footy again, may be a blessing in disguise.

Rugbaleeg f**k yeahhh

big hit!

Bench

It's easier for fans to become lounge supporters, because the NRL has allowed them too. plain and simple.

I've just looked at the first lot of home games for souths (approx game start times). Ignore COVID. This was the schedule for supporters.
Rd 1 Cronulla - Sat 5:30pm FOX
Rd 3 Roosters - Fri 8:00pm NINE/FOX
Rd 5 Canterbury - Fri 4:30pm (Easter) NINE/FOX
Rd 6 St George Illawarra - Sun 2:30pm FOX
Rd 9 Brisbane - Thu 8:00pm NINE/FOX

Absolutely no consistency in game days or times. Good luck getting into some sort of habit as an attending supporter.

Folks on the northern beaches won't attend games because it's shit sitting out on the hill on a cold saturday night. they pack out the joint for sunday games.

And if you think AFL clubs in Melbourne only get their supporters from their little adjoining suburbs, then you're greatly mistaken. Just look at a freakin map! North Melbourne borders Carlton, Carlton borders old Fitzroy, Fitzroy borders Collingwood, Collingwood borders Richmond, Richmond borders Hawthorn. Melbourne CBD borders NM, Carlton, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Richmond or is just a suburb away. Their clubs attract their support metropolitan wide. They even get merkins coming in regularly from regional areas to watch a footy match.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's a lot easier to get around Perth than Sydney by car. Perth almost covers a similar area than Sydney now but has less than half the population. Anyway clubs like the Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Dragons have plenty of followers who are clearly immigrants.

not saying we don’t attract any, just not as many. I live about 25km from the stadiums, takes me about 40min door to gate to drive non rush hour, about 50min-1hour by public transport. And I’m not to far out, go out to the outer suburbs and regions like Butler or Mandurah and you can add another 20-30min onto that.
How many fans going to panthers or manly or anz would live in a radius like that? Yes perth is much much better a city to get around but most fans would be travelling 30min-1hour to get to the perth stadiums. I’m guessing getting to panthers or parra etc in max an hour would reach a pretty large radius of population?

Cactus

Juniors
This is an interview done today with PVL and Tim Gilbert (who, because of his racing links seems a real fan of PVL). After 15 second ad the interview goes for around 11 mins. Centres on RL & Media deal and general Covid stuff. Worth listening to:

V'landys confident rugby will resume in May
25/04/2020Australian Rugby League Chairman Peter V'landys is confident games will resume next month as long as the coronavirus infection rate remains at less than one per cent. Broadcasters, Fox and Channel 9 have reached a deal with the code to resume play on May 28. Mr V'landys insists it will be safe for both players and the community in five weeks. “You’ve got to remember that we’re five weeks away from May 28 so hopefully the infection rate will be the lowest ever at that period and the risk will be zero to minimal,” he told Sky News.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6151985739001

Saxon

Bench
Old hankyhead normally writes about the ANZACs this time of year. Obviously he’s so obsessed with the NRL he’s forgotten to write his normal piece
Anything to distract attention from the impending doom of professional Rugby Union in Australia.

King hit

Coach
Anything to distract attention from the impending doom of professional Rugby Union in Australia.
On the topic of the demise of union some Kiwis (presuming they are) got very defensive on reddit yesterday when I told them no one cares about union here anymore. They still don’t get it.

Latest posts