What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

unforgiven

Bench
Seriously. Given the value of the NRL to broadcasters, the mind boggles at how they constantly trash the game.
Surely it is in their interest to promote the hell out of it and protect their "investment" once the money is paid and squeeze every drop of juice out of it . Like how about showing more content in Melbourne.
That would make it more expensive next time.

shear_joy9

Coach
nrl.jpg

siv

First Grade
who can’t get unlimited data? Even if someone in the arse end of the world can’t that’s not enough to hold everyone else back. Presumably at some point these people couldn’t get TV signals either.

Lots of people who can't get NBN

T-Boon

Coach
Seriously. Given the value of the NRL to broadcasters, the mind boggles at how they constantly trash the game.
Surely it is in their interest to promote the hell out of it and protect their "investment" once the money is paid and squeeze every drop of juice out of it . Like how about showing more content in Melbourne.

Its a little strange that you say this but your signature/quote is from Gould. He is up with Fitzsimmons as the games biggest hate speecher.

betcats

Referee
And barely existed outside of the US. 20M was only 6.5% of the american population at the time.

We were still on ADSL ffs. Shit moves slow in Aus, what's new?

I’ll be very suprised if nrl live pass subscriptions reach 6 percent of our population but my point was to highlight how ridiculous it is mentioning Netflix in the same breath as the nrl digital rights. The market just is not there for the nrl and Kayo already gives better value than live pass. The nrl without free to air tv will end up like rugby union the game will not become more valuable taking the product off free to air, any train of thought along those lines is delusional. You lose a shit ton of sponsor value straight away for one thing, secondly you lose the interest of a shit load of casual fans.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ll be very suprised if nrl live pass subscriptions reach 6 percent of our population but my point was to highlight how ridiculous it is mentioning Netflix in the same breath as the nrl digital rights. The market just is not there for the nrl and Kayo already gives better value than live pass. The nrl without free to air tv will end up like rugby union the game will not become more valuable taking the product off free to air, any train of thought along those lines is delusional. You lose a shit ton of sponsor value straight away for one thing, secondly you lose the interest of a shit load of casual fans.

no one is talking about not having some games on fta. Digital provides a future opportunity for the game to break free totally from media stations control and plough it’s own path. It means it can sell to fta what it wants, how it wants and be less driven by most dollars but poor outcomes in other kpi’s. Might not happen but there’s a reason why they want a 4 year extension and to destroy the nrl’s digital arm, they can see the threat it provides.

betcats

Referee
no one is talking about not having some games on fta. Digital provides a future opportunity for the game to break free totally from media stations control and plough it’s own path. It means it can sell to fta what it wants, how it wants and be less driven by most dollars but poor outcomes in other kpi’s. Might not happen but there’s a reason why they want a 4 year extension and to destroy the nrl’s digital arm, they can see the threat it provides.

What deal is being proposed for the digital rights? Are the NRL going to sell them forever or just for the next few years? I’m a little ignorant here about the recent news but I don’t think they are just going to sell the digital rights forever surely.

As far as being media free, you cannot expect someone to run the game with the idea of one day being completely media free, sports on pay tv and free to air are not going anywhere soon and as long as they are willing to pay more for what they want they will have some control.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What deal is being proposed for the digital rights? Are the NRL going to sell them forever or just for the next few years? I’m a little ignorant here about the recent news but I don’t think they are just going to sell the digital rights forever surely.

As far as being media free, you cannot expect someone to run the game with the idea of one day being completely media free, sports on pay tv and free to air are not going anywhere soon.

not known yet. Whilst the dollars look reasonable in what’s been announced we don’t yet know what has been conceded to get the deal signed. KO times, all games simucast, digital control would all be areas that can make or break if this is a good deal for the game long term.

digital is now producing a healthy profit margin so you’d be nuts to hand it over just for that reason.

As for Vlandys saying he’s going to cut $50mill a year from nrlhq, well given corporate admin is less than $30mill a year you’d have to be asking where he is going to cut it from? Digital, refs, integrity unit, development officers, new jnr school program, putting on big events?
Where exactly are the savings to be made?

betcats

Referee
not known yet. Whilst the dollars look reasonable in what’s been announced we don’t yet know what has been conceded to get the deal signed. KO times, all games simucast, digital control would all be areas that can make or break if this is a good deal for the game long term.

digital is now producing a healthy profit margin so you’d be nuts to hand it over just for that reason.

As for Vlandys saying he’s going to cut $50mill a year from nrlhq, well given corporate admin is less than $30mill a year you’d have to be asking where he is going to cut it from? Digital, refs, integrity unit, development officers, new jnr school program, putting on big events?
Where exactly are the savings to be made?

Whether or not the tv deal is a good one is really beyond me to work out so I’ll stay out of that conversation, time will tell whether it’s a good or bad move.

As far as it beings crazy to sell digital rights just because they are making a nice profit I don’t see it that way that is far to black and white, for one thing live pass subscriptions might not keep growing, they could go backwards. Kayo started in 2018 and already have 400k subscribers, the basic membership is 10 bucks more a month and you get every nrl game plus any other sport shown on fox sports or ESPN, racing.com and more. It’s much better value already and I’ve got no doubt it will be biting in to that live pass profit margin soon.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whether or not the tv deal is a good one is really beyond me to work out so I’ll stay out that conversation, time will tell whether it’s a good or bad move.

As far as it beings crazy to sell digital rights just because they are making a nice profit I don’t see it that way, for one thing live pass subscriptions might not keep growing, they could go backwards. Kayo started in 2018 and already have 400k subscribers, the basic membership is 10 more a month and you get every nrl game plus any other sport shown on fox sports or ESPN, racing.com and more. It’s much better value already and I’ve got no doubt it will be biting in to that live pass profit margin soon.

I believe most of the revenue comes from digital advertising rather than current subscription levels. I still wouldn’t be getting rid of a profit making arm of the business “just in case”. If anything a 4 team expansion over this 7 year period could see two exclusive games on the nrl platform a week which would drive subscriptions significantly. It depends if the nrl has a long term vision and strategy to cut the apron strings.

betcats

Referee
I believe most of the revenue comes from digital advertising rather than current subscription levels. I still wouldn’t be getting rid of a profit making arm of the business “just in case”. If anything a 4 team expansion over this 7 year period could see two exclusive games on the nrl platform a week which would drive subscriptions significantly. It depends if the nrl has a long term vision and strategy to cut the apron strings.

PR those two extra games would bring in more money in the broadcast deals than they would being exclusive to live pass, a lot more money would be my guess.

T-Boon

Coach
The nrl without free to air tv will end up like rugby union the game will not become more valuable taking the product off free to air, any train of thought along those lines is delusional. You lose a shit ton of sponsor value straight away for one thing, secondly you lose the interest of a shit load of casual fans.

The free to air seems to be dying.

T-Boon

Coach
If you give NRL digital to nine they might as well give it to AFL because I think AFL basically controls nine. How did Eddie McGuire ever become CEO of nine. That really happened. Not in bizzaro world but in the real world.

franklin2323

Immortal
Whether or not the tv deal is a good one is really beyond me to work out so I’ll stay out of that conversation, time will tell whether it’s a good or bad move.

As far as it beings crazy to sell digital rights just because they are making a nice profit I don’t see it that way that is far to black and white, for one thing live pass subscriptions might not keep growing, they could go backwards. Kayo started in 2018 and already have 400k subscribers, the basic membership is 10 bucks more a month and you get every nrl game plus any other sport shown on fox sports or ESPN, racing.com and more. It’s much better value already and I’ve got no doubt it will be biting in to that live pass profit margin soon.

The live pass thing can’t be shown on full screen for starters. With Kayo being more important money wise.. I can’t see that changing

betcats

Referee
The live pass thing can’t be shown on full screen for starters. With Kayo being more important money wise.. I can’t see that changing

That is great point and actually a big reason why I switched to Kayo, it connects to google chromecast and can be watched on a tv.

franklin2323

Immortal
That is great point and actually a big reason why I switched to Kayo, it connects to google chromecast and can be watched on a tv.

Same here. I think during this next tv deal cable Fox will be dead so can see the full screen option changing. The Website is good for news without BS but can have some shaved off it quite easily

some11

Referee
Because it isn't allowed to compete for eyeballs with 9 and Foxtel.

I agree, Kayo is great value and I really hope it stays at the $25 price point and enough people jump back on to keep it there.

I'm just weary of the other side of it which is the freedom and autonomy it gives the NRL in the future, across all forms of media. Being beholden to news Corp set the game back decades.

Latest posts