What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
PR those two extra games would bring in more money in the broadcast deals than they would being exclusive to live pass, a lot more money would be my guess.

history would suggest not seeing as we are now into a third tv deal where expansion hasn’t been part of the thinking as the nrl won’t do it unless tv want it.

having two exclusive games to nrl digital and the other 8 live would most definitely be a driver from fox/Kayo to nrl digital. It would be the only wa as a fan you could guarantee being able to see your club every weekend. Make it a reasonable amount under price of Kayo (which is going to yup in price in next two years imo),offer massive back library of historic games and bingo!

09e5a2392bae2b29812a360883971c1e

franklin2323

Immortal
Because it isn't allowed to compete for eyeballs with 9 and Foxtel.

I agree, Kayo is great value and I really hope it stays at the $25 price point and enough people jump back on to keep it there.

I'm just weary of the other side of it which is the freedom and autonomy it gives the NRL in the future, across all forms of media. Being beholden to news Corp set the game back decades.

Well that is true but no different then the blackout of games other sports have on their service. Atleast we can watch footy somehow regardless of crowds.

I would hate for it to lose it’s independence but look at the amazing work clubs do on their socials. Surely they can run their websites and link it too NRL.com. Saves $ and still gets stories out not behind a paywall.

As for showing the games. Keep it how it is just free access for people internationally

LeagueXIII

First Grade
no one is talking about not having some games on fta. Digital provides a future opportunity for the game to break free totally from media stations control and plough it’s own path. It means it can sell to fta what it wants, how it wants and be less driven by most dollars but poor outcomes in other kpi’s. Might not happen but there’s a reason why they want a 4 year extension and to destroy the nrl’s digital arm, they can see the threat it provides.

This is the way the game was going under Smith, Greenberg, Grant and now under super Pete he has steered us back under the thumb of News Ltd and Nine. Pathetic.

No wonder News Ltd etc were jerking off over his every move, no interest like self interest.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
not known yet. Whilst the dollars look reasonable in what’s been announced we don’t yet know what has been conceded to get the deal signed. KO times, all games simucast, digital control would all be areas that can make or break if this is a good deal for the game long term.

digital is now producing a healthy profit margin so you’d be nuts to hand it over just for that reason.

As for Vlandys saying he’s going to cut $50mill a year from nrlhq, well given corporate admin is less than $30mill a year you’d have to be asking where he is going to cut it from? Digital, refs, integrity unit, development officers, new jnr school program, putting on big events?
Where exactly are the savings to be made?

V'landys could do nothing and the media won't hold him to account he has delivered what they want.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I believe most of the revenue comes from digital advertising rather than current subscription levels. I still wouldn’t be getting rid of a profit making arm of the business “just in case”. If anything a 4 team expansion over this 7 year period could see two exclusive games on the nrl platform a week which would drive subscriptions significantly. It depends if the nrl has a long term vision and strategy to cut the apron strings.

It did, before V'landys, that is now over.

Vee

First Grade
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...with-cap-on-rights-value-20200510-p54rl6.html

The NRL is considering a proposal from Nine Entertainment Co for a long-term extension to its television deal with the the free-to-air network, which wants to cap its annual rights fee for the sport at about $90 million to $100m.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys says he hopes to have reached agreement with the game’s two major broadcast partners by Friday and provide more financial certainty for the game ahead of its May 28 restart.

According to sources with knowledge of the negotiations, it is expected that while Foxtel, majority owned by News Corp, may be close to signing a long-term extension, Nine won't commit beyond the three years that remain in its existing deal unless League Central agrees to its offer for a reduced long-term arrangement.

News Corp reported on Sunday the code was on the brink of securing a new $2.3 billion television deal over seven years, which would take in the final three seasons of its current $1.8bn contract with Nine, Foxtel and Telstra that runs from 2018 to 2022.

Sources say Nine, the owners of this masthead, wants to cap its annual rights fees for the sport at $90m to $100m. Nine is this year paying $115m for NRL rights, a figure that will rise to $120m next year and $125m in 2022.

The NRL has offered a five per cent discount to the fees for the next two years, according to sources, as well as a more significant markdown on this season because of the impact of coronavirus.

Nine has put forward its case to the NRL for a long-term extension and the two parties have been back and forth on the issue but they had not reached a resolution by Sunday night.

The result is both could end up resolving to revisit a longer deal down the track rather than immediately. That would leave the door open for Nine to walk away from its long association with the game in the future or reconsider the game's value to the business. That scenario would also allow the NRL to potentially consider an alliance with another free-to-air network beyond 2022.

Nine chief executive Hugh Marks has been at loggerheads with the NRL for weeks over the value of the sport as a result of coronavirus and last week told investors at the Macquarie Australia Conference “it's not a given that NRL has to be part of our future”.

Marks said the sport needed to “pay its way like all of our content does” and confirmed the company’s interest in taking over the NRL’s digital arm.

While News Corp chief executive Robert Thompson said on Friday there needed to be a “fundamental reset” of the price of sports rights, Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany has kept a low profile on the talks with the NRL.

"The one thing I'm pretty consistent with is we just don't comment on live negotiations,” Delany told the Herald last week.

“Some people choose to negotiate through the press, we just like to do things directly with our partners.”

Sources said an extension with Foxtel would not grant the subscription television outlet prized simulcast rights to State of Origin and the NRL grand final.

Nine currently has exclusive coverage of those flagship events as part its five-year deal with the NRL.

“I understand Channel Nine is being prudent but you’ve got to be careful because I still believe a free-to air network without either the NRL or the AFL ,that’s not something I would choose to do,” said Global Media and Sports managing director Colin Smith.

“I’d be surprised if Channel Nine would want to give up on State Origin in particular.”

- with Zoe Samios

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...with-cap-on-rights-value-20200510-p54rl6.html

The NRL is considering a proposal from Nine Entertainment Co for a long-term extension to its television deal with the the free-to-air network, which wants to cap its annual rights fee for the sport at about $90 million to $100m.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys says he hopes to have reached agreement with the game’s two major broadcast partners by Friday and provide more financial certainty for the game ahead of its May 28 restart.

According to sources with knowledge of the negotiations, it is expected that while Foxtel, majority owned by News Corp, may be close to signing a long-term extension, Nine won't commit beyond the three years that remain in its existing deal unless League Central agrees to its offer for a reduced long-term arrangement.

News Corp reported on Sunday the code was on the brink of securing a new $2.3 billion television deal over seven years, which would take in the final three seasons of its current $1.8bn contract with Nine, Foxtel and Telstra that runs from 2018 to 2022.

Sources say Nine, the owners of this masthead, wants to cap its annual rights fees for the sport at $90m to $100m. Nine is this year paying $115m for NRL rights, a figure that will rise to $120m next year and $125m in 2022.

The NRL has offered a five per cent discount to the fees for the next two years, according to sources, as well as a more significant markdown on this season because of the impact of coronavirus.

Nine has put forward its case to the NRL for a long-term extension and the two parties have been back and forth on the issue but they had not reached a resolution by Sunday night.

The result is both could end up resolving to revisit a longer deal down the track rather than immediately. That would leave the door open for Nine to walk away from its long association with the game in the future or reconsider the game's value to the business. That scenario would also allow the NRL to potentially consider an alliance with another free-to-air network beyond 2022.

Nine chief executive Hugh Marks has been at loggerheads with the NRL for weeks over the value of the sport as a result of coronavirus and last week told investors at the Macquarie Australia Conference “it's not a given that NRL has to be part of our future”.

Marks said the sport needed to “pay its way like all of our content does” and confirmed the company’s interest in taking over the NRL’s digital arm.

While News Corp chief executive Robert Thompson said on Friday there needed to be a “fundamental reset” of the price of sports rights, Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany has kept a low profile on the talks with the NRL.

"The one thing I'm pretty consistent with is we just don't comment on live negotiations,” Delany told the Herald last week.

“Some people choose to negotiate through the press, we just like to do things directly with our partners.”

Sources said an extension with Foxtel would not grant the subscription television outlet prized simulcast rights to State of Origin and the NRL grand final.

Nine currently has exclusive coverage of those flagship events as part its five-year deal with the NRL.

“I understand Channel Nine is being prudent but you’ve got to be careful because I still believe a free-to air network without either the NRL or the AFL ,that’s not something I would choose to do,” said Global Media and Sports managing director Colin Smith.

“I’d be surprised if Channel Nine would want to give up on State Origin in particular.”

- with Zoe Samios

something doesn’t add up. In previous story Nrl allegedly on verge of a $2.3billion deal but Ch9 only want to pay between $630mill and $700mill. That would leave fox picking up the bulk of it at $1.6billion or $228mill a year! That’s a massive increase on the current $180mill a year they are paying.

Cactus

Juniors
When it comes to the NRL digital platform, lets not forget that part of the reason why it was developed was to promote Rugby League. Put aside profits etc for just a moment.

Think about all that archival footage. That one (at least) historical game that you would like to see again.. And what about all the old stories about legends of the sport that provide continuity for todays players. The players of each and every club that make up much of what we support for the team we barrack for.

The NRL has copyright for all of that. What good is it if the digital arm is gifted away ? But what a treasure trove of promotion it could be in the hands of the governing body that wants to promote this sport properly.

No matter how you cut it, all the historical footage used in the digital sense, is a gold mine whether you monetise it for consumptional use or for purely promotional purposes.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
When it comes to the NRL digital platform, lets not forget that part of the reason why it was developed was to promote Rugby League. Put aside profits etc for just a moment.

Think about all that archival footage. That one (at least) historical game that you would like to see again.. And what about all the old stories about legends of the sport that provide continuity for todays players. The players of each and every club that make up much of what we support for the team we barrack for.

The NRL has copyright for all of that. What good is it if the digital arm is gifted away ? But what a treasure trove of promotion it could be in the hands of the governing body that wants to promote this sport properly.

No matter how you cut it, all the historical footage used in the digital sense, is a gold mine whether you monetise it for consumptional use or for purely promotional purposes.

not to mention the chance to stream more games from other comps around the country and the world. I’d love to watch the PNG and French comps for example. I’d happily pay same as KAYO for a genuine RL service with all nrl games and games from around the country and world.

betcats

Referee

They will still own all of that footage.

betcats

Referee
not to mention the chance to stream more games from other comps around the country and the world. I’d love to watch the PNG and French comps for example. I’d happily pay same as KAYO for a genuine RL service with all nrl games and games from around the country and world.

Is the PNG comp even televised? Niot many people are going to pay more to watch the french and png comps there is every chance they lose money on that.

Latest posts