What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

blaza88z

Coach
Anna is talking shit when she says that the NRL grand final being in town hasn't has an influence on whether or not they call in a snap lockdown

With no grand final, everyone in Brisbane is in lockdown, I have no doubt about it

I think if the cases go into double figures in the next day or two, they won't have a choice

Brutus

Referee
Without doubt the worst lead up to a grand final of all time.

Such a shame.

This would have been an enjoyable week had it been in either a covid-free Sydney or Brisbane.

The media's fixation with the Melbourne Storm incident also hasn't helped.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Victoria was supposed to go into a short sharp lock down, countless weeks have come and gone, they are still in lock down, while cases have climbed to record levels. Who is to say Queensland won't go the same way? It is absurd to postpone for a week because there is no guarantee it will be right in a week.

No other first world country on earth panicked this much once vaccination rates were at the level we are at now. This is insanity.
Quiet you, it's not a race.

How much risk did this man and his government place on clubs and code with that policy setting?

images

If vaccine rates were at 80 per cent by now we wouldn't be having this conversation, in fact we'd all be out of lockdown and we'd have a packed Sydney stadium for the two Sydney-based GF clubs. Fans miss out because of shit policy and a complacent government. Pubs, businesses, etc miss out from the grand final day boost.

How much will this cost the clubs in merchandising? If it has to move to Perth for instance will as many people tune in, like kids? Will we need to postpone for a month or more, by which time will anybody care? The stories will have been written, the build up and narrative done 2022 season will be that much closer.

As a rugby league fan imo they need to be kicked to the curb if not for that policy setting, then for all the reasons outlined above.

Jamberoo

Juniors
if is is postponed, surely it goes to Perth next Saturday night. With cases in Townsville, you are taking a huge risk just to play in front of 20k - 22k.
Perth could have 65k, and near certainly that it would proceed. Only problem is that daylight savings and time difference means it won’t be under lights except for the post game.

Iamback

Coach

How much risk did this man and his government place on clubs and code with that policy setting?

images

If vaccine rates were at 80 per cent by now we wouldn't be having this conversation, in fact we'd all be out of lockdown and we'd have a packed Sydney stadium for the two Sydney-based GF clubs. Fans miss out because of shit policy and a complacent government. Pubs, businesses, etc miss out from the grand final day boost.

How much will this cost the clubs in merchandising? If it has to move to Perth for instance will as many people tune in, like kids? Will we need to postpone for a month or more, by which time will anybody care? The stories will have been written, the build up and narrative done 2022 season will be that much closer.

As a rugby league fan imo they need to be kicked to the curb if not for that policy setting, then for all the reasons outlined above.

I am no Scomo fan but

What Country in the world has 80% coverage? More to the point what country has zero cases?

Compliancy due to how well we got off last year meant people weren't going to race out to get jabs, More to the point this countries fixation on zero Covid is why we are here.

France for example is only at 64% now and have been open for several months. Yet we are still losing our minds over 6 cases

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Rather it go ahead as scheduled, but yes a postponement would benefit PENRITH

Depends where it is played, If Brisbane locks down then no guarantee it is open next week. I'd back Bennett to lift Souffs more off a longer break than Ivan

Generalzod

Immortal
This is comical stuff, why they just let the vaccinated in.....or that's so potically incorrect to say that.

Without doubt the worst lead up to a grand final of all time.

Such a shame.

This would have been an enjoyable week had it been in either a covid-free Sydney or Brisbane.

The media's fixation with the Melbourne Storm incident also hasn't helped.
While I don’t doubt support is strong for both clubs in their heartlands but Souths are pretty well represented in the Sydney’s inner west where I live but so far, I’ve spotted three cars with flags and one house decked out in Souths gear. Not many jerseys spotted while shopping as well. While any premiership win is a good win, I feel sorry for both sets of fans at the lack of buzz in this shit year.

The_Frog

First Grade
This is comical stuff, why they just let the vaccinated in.....or that's so potically incorrect to say that.
This had to be specified up front and backed by legislation. You can't just sell tickets to all comers and then change the rules at the last moment.

Danish

Referee

images

In NSW, yes. All other states have reneged on the 80% goal for removing restrictions

yobbo84

First Grade
In all honesty any sort of postponement only benefits the Panthers. Right now it's 50/50 but another week's rest for their battered and bruised would make it 75/25 to them.

I hope my team has an "anyone, anywhere, any time" mentality, but the whole integrity of the finals system and the top 4 benefit of winning and getting a week off goes out the window with a delay.

hrundi99

First Grade
I am no Scomo fan but

What Country in the world has 80% coverage? More to the point what country has zero cases?

80% coverage:
Portugal 84.3%
UAE 84.3%
Singapore 79.4%
Malta 83.6%

Over 70% coverage:
Spain 78.2%
Ireland 73.8%
Denmark 75.1%
Canada 70.7%
Uruguay 73.7%
Chile 73.5%

Spanner in the works

First Grade
In NSW, yes. All other states have reneged on the 80% goal for removing restrictions
Yes, in NSW where the grand final is normally played, and is kinda my point - if we had pursued a decent vaccine procurement policy - one not based on 'it's not a race' and just a few vaccine suppliers - perhaps we avoid lockdown, and perhaps we avoid the moving of the competition. People spent months and months and months trying to get one and, well, here we are.