What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Wizardman

First Grade
The difference is those sports can financially afford to call off a season and survive..the NRL through it's own poor mismanagement in the past need to play on or go out of business as they clearly don't have a lot of money in the bank.
Tough titties, too f**king bad. We are in a health crisis. Sort that out, deal with the economics later.

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL's arrogance is breathtaking. With Victoria about to shut up shop, the Storm will have to make the same decision that the Warriors did. I seriously doubt they will be as soft as the Warriors are in staying for the NRL We already know Smith and Bellamy are not keen to play on.

The comp could go on without Storm. I've got no problem with Cam retiring.
Just send up those that want in and a coach that wants in. Or Storm can stay home. Its not personal.

taste2taste

Juniors
VLandys is playing this very smart.

If you read between the lines from his interview on ch9 this evening, He's waiting for the government to shut down the NRL, therefore giving us the best chance possible of being included in a future government stimulus package.

taste2taste

Juniors
The difference is those sports can financially afford to call off a season and survive..the NRL through it's own poor mismanagement in the past need to play on or go out of business as they clearly don't have a lot of money in the bank.
Not entirely true, if the NBA season can't restart they are looking at a 1.7 billion dollar loss in revenue. Players won't be getting paid and small market teams will be lucky to survive.

Game_Breaker

Coach

That's the only way to continue

The NRL will tell clubs if you want to pay your players, then ALL clubs must agree with this
But if they go down that route, then the season must be shortened. It cant be good to treat players like they're gladiators at the colosseum and lock them up in between matches

Wizardman

First Grade
VLandys is playing this very smart.

If you read between the lines from his interview on ch9 this evening, He's waiting for the government to shut down the NRL, therefore giving us the best chance possible of being included in a future government stimulus package.
I don't know what planet you're f**king from but rugby league would be very low down the list when to comes to compensation. Not exactly a vote winner to puff up rich mens pay pay packets at the expense of so many other areas that are battling to survive. Rugby league will rebuild....pay tv needs us as much as we need them.

taste2taste

Juniors
As a Pom, where football is basically a religion and has been suspended till end of April, I'm amazed NRL think they can carry on. :scream:
While the NRL fits into government guidelines why wouldn't they continue playing ? They are no different to any other business that can continue operation within government guidelines.

A lot of the other major sports stopped because players tested positive. Not the case with the NRL....yet

taste2taste

Juniors
I don't know what planet you're f**king from but rugby league would be very low down the list when to comes to compensation. Not exactly a vote winner to puff up rich mens pay pay packets at the expense of so many other areas that are battling to survive. Rugby league will rebuild....pay tv needs us as much as we need them.
Do you understand the NRL directly and indirectly employ 10,000 people ?
Try telling Peter the pie seller, the stadium cleaners or the tv cameraman they don't matter !

If the arts can ask for 850 million I think sport can ask for a bit too.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

I think you’re about to get a shock if you think the NRL is anything like alone in this respect. What business can afford an indefinite shutdown with no income and maintain its huge outgoings?

Heisenberg

Juniors
Why ? If players are virus free and the NRL fits in the health and government guidelines what's the problem ?

This is a cohort of young men who struggle to behave at the best of times. It’s a matter of time until someone tests positive, and the longer we can prevent that the better off we will be

siv

First Grade
Yeh, i feel like if any single place is made to house the whole nrl it is Homebush.

Problem is that the Olympic village at Newington has been sold off as housing

But there should be lots of empty hotels nearby

Perth Red

Post Whore
My mate is fifo on an iron mine site in North WA. It’s business as usual. Really the nrl is no different. Bunk them up somewhere all clubs together for 8 weeks. Have a 4 week break for players to s0end with families. Pick up the season in 3 months if we are over the hump.

taste2taste

Juniors
AFL has always been very community minded and handled its money well. Like the Patriotic Funds during WWI.
The AFL are coming across as saints by stopping their season, listening to the press conference they stopped because 4 teams couldn't play any longer because the states and territories shut down their borders ... yeah, very gracious AFL :/ their hand was forced.

Eddy ' Mr Know it All' McGuire is predicting it'll take a decade for the AFL to recover financially.