What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I have a question I'd be interested in the perspective of others on...

Let's say we hit the 80% vaccinated population target. Why would we need to worry about a 'no jab, no entry' policy for stadiums? If you are vaccinated, then it lessens your chances of catching COVID and reduces the harshness of it if you do catch it. The ones taking the risk at that point are the 20% and if they are choosing to take that risk, why should they be excluded?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Let's say we hit the 80% vaccinated population target. Why would we need to worry about a 'no jab, no entry' policy for stadiums? If you are vaccinated, then it lessens your chances of catching COVID and reduces the harshness of it if you do catch it. The ones taking the risk at that point are the 20% and if they are choosing to take that risk, why should they be excluded?
Transmission is lower in vaccinated people (or so the science seems to be heading) so its partly a risk of spread thing, but more likely it will be used as an incentive to get it done. Whilst 80% sounds a lot that still leaves over 5 million people susceptible to serious health outcomes and just a fraction of them needing ICU would overwhelm the health system in most States.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
the disadvantage is we look like idiots while the rest of the world has reopened and is going about its business looking at Australia as a dysfunctional dystopian hell

Knight76

Juniors
the disadvantage is we look like idiots while the rest of the world has reopened and is going about its business looking at Australia as a dysfunctional dystopian hell

Yeah, like dickheads in the US of A laughing at Australia lockdowns, whilst Florida is getting absolutely fisted by Covid.

I'm not concerned about what the rest of the world think.

One question though. Kids under 12 not likely to be getting vaccinated anytime soon, so what happen with them at the NRL? Bring the whole family 12+?

Jamberoo

Juniors

1. To provide a safer environment for fans, officials and players
2. To incentivise people to be vaccinated for the good of others
3. To protect that 20% that are too stupid to be vaccinated
4. To protect those that are unable to be vaccinated
5. To allow 100% capacity at stadiums

Diesel

Referee
Transmission is lower in vaccinated people (or so the science seems to be heading) so its partly a risk of spread thing, but more likely it will be used as an incentive to get it done. Whilst 80% sounds a lot that still leaves over 5 million people susceptible to serious health outcomes and just a fraction of them needing ICU would overwhelm the health system in most States.
It’s not 5 million, it’s 80% of the adult population.
By the time you throw in those that can’t/won’t vaccinate and children under 16, the number is 56% of the population

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s not 5 million, it’s 80% of the adult population.
By the time you throw in those that can’t/won’t vaccinate and children under 16, the number is 56% of the population
There’s 20million adults in australia roughly. 20% of that is 4million people who won’t have had a vaccine if 80% is the target. Given there’s only 2500 icu beds in the country it would still be a worry For govts if just a tiny fraction of that 4mill gets really sick.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
1. To provide a safer environment for fans, officials and players
2. To incentivise people to be vaccinated for the good of others
3. To protect that 20% that are too stupid to be vaccinated
4. To protect those that are unable to be vaccinated
5. To allow 100% capacity at stadiums
I guess what I'm getting at (which @Perth Red answered well) is if the vaccine provides the benefits it says to provide, then point 1, 2 and 5 are a non-issue.

Point 3 will be proven right or wrong with time I guess as the vaccine is not fully tested and trialled (for obvious reasons in the current climate).

# 4 is a good point.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
NRL statements

Josh Dugan

The National Rugby League (NRL) has issued Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks player Josh Dugan with a Breach Notice for failing to comply with the game’s biosecurity protocols.

The Notice proposes Dugan is fined $50,000 and removed from the club’s biosecurity bubble in NSW.

The Notice alleges Dugan drove to Lithgow with a friend on the evening of 20 August, in contravention of the game’s Level 4 Protocols.

In considering the proposed penalty, the NRL took into account that the alleged breach was Dugan’s second serious contravention of biosecurity protocols in the past 2 months.

The NRL alleges that Dugan has shown a continued failure to comply with the protocols and poses an unacceptable risk to his teammates in the NSW bubble.

Dugan has 5 working days to respond to the Breach Notice.

Adam Elliott and Millie Boyle

The National Rugby League (NRL) has issued a Breach Notice to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs player Adam Elliott for bringing the game into disrepute and failing to comply with biosecurity protocols.

The Notice proposes Elliott is fined $10,000 and must complete education and training.

The Notice alleges Elliott brought the game into disrepute after he was removed by security from a Gold Coast restaurant on 22 August. It also alleges that the conduct leading to his removal breached the Game’s biosecurity protocols. The proposed fine takes into account Elliott’s off-field disciplinary record.

The NRL has issued NRLW player Millie Boyle with a warning regarding her conduct at the restaurant and will be given education and training regarding the obligations of NRL and NRLW players in public. NRLW players are currently not subject to biosecurity protocols.

Elliott has 5 working days to respond to the Breach Notice.

Canard

Immortal
Why are the NRL taking so long to announce the GF venue being Brisbane? Are they putting the gouge on the QLD government?

Latest posts