What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

costly loss?

gregstar

Referee
any news on hornby's supposed medial ligament tear?
if it is bad, then the season will be as good as toodles. he is by far & away the most important playmaker we have.

we ceratinly could have made life easier for ourselves by winning today going into the bye. now we are back in the sh*tfight just to make the 8!

the most significant pointer to come out of this game is that ennis is not a playmaker & shouldn't be at either first or second receiver.

the tigers showed us that a team with enthusiasm can show up a team of class & promptly rolled us. in fact the score flattered us. we only came close courtesy of a hometown penalty count in the second half. we were spared the absolute drubbing we deserved!

fingers crossed hornby's injury is less serious & he can return against the eels.

Godz Illa

Coach
I have felt that our victories over the Cowboys and Souths helped masked the playmaking inadequacies of Michael Ennis. He is a great hooker, but at five-eighth Hornby and also Timmins have been picking up his slack. Today, no Timmins, no Hornby, Ennis was exposed. I now fear that the fate of our season is tied to Hornby's injury. I was still confident we could win the comp without Head, but we can't win it without both Head AND Hornby.

bornadragon

Juniors
Its not a costly lost. Hopefully it will do them the world of good. Sims is disapointing me at the moment and Ennis is not a five-eight. He's definately a bench sub player...

Get fierman from the Roosters for the rest of the season... That's not a bad option.

redwhitedragon

Juniors
Godzilla your exactly right Ennis lack of playmaking skills was overshadowed in our last two games. I have to say his kicking game is very poor even against the bunnies he was kicking them str8 down their throats. He has nothing I wouldnt consider him a great hooker either. I hope Barrett wasnt rested to make origin cause we needed him.
For god sake get Kerr out of reserve grade. I am afraid like we do every year get ourselves in a hole.

The score doesnt properly reflect our bad they played. The tigers deserved the game today. Quite possibly their worst game all year. At least when they were losing before they played with some heart.
Not good enough..

they might need this break but for god sake hook Ennis out of the halves!

Jono078

Referee
Not trying to make you feel better, but I reckon

6. Ennis
7. Barrett

Will go alright firing towards the semis.

weasel

First Grade
I fear this loss was one we couldn't afford, if Hornby is out for any significant period of time we're gone. Awful, just awful. Looks like we're gonna go back to back as the "coulda been" premiers.

bornadragon

Juniors
barrett is not a half back - never was and should never be... It's a waist of his talent. maybe put ennis at half.

11Straight

Juniors
I think the cost will come down to how long hornby is out for.

If it is an extended period we are as good as gone.

Ozzwald

Juniors
Godz Illa said:
I now fear that the fate of our season is tied to Hornby's injury. I was still confident we could win the comp without Head, but we can't win it without both Head AND Hornby.

TING......that's the sound of Godzilla hitting the nail on the head. Brownie said when Head went down that he thought Horns would fill in admirably in the halves for him. I thought so too. In fact I posted elsewhere that he'd do a much more than merely "admirable" job. I wasn't overly concerned losing Head. But if Ben is gone then so are Saints. Totally & utterly. They MIGHT scrape into the 8 by the skin of their teeth, but they cannot & will not go deep without a fit Hornby AND Barrett in the side. Without either one of them, the side is FAR too make-shift in my opinion. It's make-shift enough with Head & Baz out.....now with Ben gone....it's lost.

I don't profess to be a Saints analytical guru.....I haven't seen all the games this year living all the way over here in Tex-ass, but the 5 or so games I have seen, I don't think Ennis has any right playing in the halves. His kicking game is ordinary at best, he provides little if any direction or attacking prowess & his defence is suspect from what I have seen. I am not bagging the guy for the sake of, nor trying to blame today's shallacking by the Tigers (don't let the score fool you) on him, but he's seriously got no business in the number 6 or 7. He's a hooker (and yes a relatively decent one) but that's about it as far as I can ascertain.

I have my fingers crossed that Horns' injury isn't a season ender but I am sure it'll be 4-6 weeks at least by the sounds of it & by then the horse will have probably bolted I'm afraid. It's not the teams in the lower half of the comp were playing in the run home. It's all the sides that are well & truly in contention, bar the Knights. The loss today sees us well & truly back into the dogfight for 8th. In every game that mattered this weekend (which was all of 'em except the Penrith-Newcastle game) the team that got up was the team that Saints wanted to lose. Roosters, Raiders, Dogs, Warriors, Storm all won. We're fighting with every one of those teams for our place in the 8. I mean sh*t, even the Tigers are only 2 points out of the 8 now. A bad, bad day for Saints today in more ways than one. Especially if those teams can find some form over the next few weeks. We have to continue to win now just to make the 8 in my opinion & all with a make-shift halves combination. I posted after the Cowboys win that things were looking exceptionally bright for the red & whites for season 2005. The gray skies across Jubilee this afternoon were symbolic of how that outlook changed dramatically in the space of 80 minutes.

I love St. George & I am not a negative supporter, but this was MASSIVE & crushing blow to our finals hopes today & realistically more than we can overcome I believe. I hope I am wrong, but I ain't gonna hold my breath!

11Straight

Juniors
Ozzwald said:
TING......that's the sound of Godzilla hitting the nail on the head. Brownie said when Head went down that he thought Horns would fill in admirably in the halves for him. I thought so too. In fact I posted elsewhere that he'd do a much more than merely "admirable" job. I wasn't overly concerned losing Head. But if Ben is gone then so are Saints. Totally & utterly. They MIGHT scrape into the 8 by the skin of their teeth, but they cannot & will not go deep without a fit Hornby AND Barrett in the side. Without either one of them, the side is FAR too make-shift in my opinion. It's make-shift enough with Head & Baz out.....now with Ben gone....it's lost.

I don't profess to be a Saints analytical guru.....I haven't seen all the games this year living all the way over here in Tex-ass, but the 5 or so games I have seen, I don't think Ennis has any right playing in the halves. His kicking game is ordinary at best, he provides little if any direction or attacking prowess & his defence is suspect from what I have seen. I am not bagging the guy for the sake of, nor trying to blame today's shallacking by the Tigers (don't let the score fool you) on him, but he's seriously got no business in the number 6 or 7. He's a hooker (and yes a relatively decent one) but that's about it as far as I can ascertain.

I have my fingers crossed that Horns' injury isn't a season ender but I am sure it'll be 4-6 weeks at least by the sounds of it & by then the horse will have probably bolted I'm afraid. It's not the teams in the lower half of the comp were playing in the run home. It's all the sides that are well & truly in contention, bar the Knights. The loss today sees us well & truly back into the dogfight for 8th. In every game that mattered this weekend (which was all of 'em except the Penrith-Newcastle game) the team that got up was the team that Saints wanted to lose. Roosters, Raiders, Dogs, Warriors, Storm all won. We're fighting with every one of those teams for our place in the 8. I mean sh*t, even the Tigers are only 2 points out of the 8 now. A bad, bad day for Saints today in more ways than one. Especially if those teams can find some form over the next few weeks. We have to continue to win now just to make the 8 in my opinion & all with a make-shift halves combination. I posted after the Cowboys win that things were looking exceptionally bright for the red & whites for season 2005. The gray skies across Jubilee this afternoon were symbolic of how that outlook changed dramatically in the space of 80 minutes.

I love St. George & I am not a negative supporter, but this was MASSIVE & crushing blow to our finals hopes today & realistically more than we can overcome I believe. I hope I am wrong, but I ain't gonna hold my breath!
Great post :clap: :clap: i agree if hornby is out for an extended period we are gone we really needed him and barret to form a combination before the finals.

What are our options now maybe timmins to half back and barret to 5/8 don't know but we are really just about out of options.:(

Ozzwald

Juniors
Barrett HAS to play half....there is no if's and's or but's about it. It's not his preferred position....so what. League is a TEAM game & it's time for Baz to swallow his pride & do what he needs to do for the team. We have some options at five-eighth (albeit, pretty piss poor ones IMO) but we have no realistic options for half-back other than Trent.

I have heard talk of putting Gaz in at five-eighth......no good IMO. Gaz needs the space out wide to be effective. Timmins MAY go OK at five-eighth, but I think his barnstorming running up the middle of the ruck & on the fringe off the short ball will be too badly missed. That's where his value lies for mine. There have been calls to bring Holdsworth up from Premier League. I must admit I know precious little about this guy, but with the run home we have, it's certainly not the time to be blooding a young guy to the first grade team (not sure if, or how many games he's had in the top grade, but it can't be many at all). The only saving grace is that Saints have 2 weeks to try & work some combinations between him & Barrett. That's not much consolation though. Running drills at training is a far, far cry from the pressure & intensity of game time.

We really are pretty much out of options with Hornby gone I'm afraid. Anything they do will be a patch job at best. What a pr*ck of a way to have the season turn.

Bench
Hope Hornby's injury is not bad,I like him he is very under rated not by you supporters but league fans in general.

Collateral

Coach
Biglance said:
firman has a broken arm u tools

Take it easy mate, we are not all as well informed as you obviously are.

I think Brown is playing Ennis at 6 to try and keep roughly the same 17 on the park every week. Its a good plan but Im not sure about it continuing when we have Holdsworth and Kerr in the lower grades.

If we were really in a pinch maybe we could pick up Luke Branighan from Tigers PL...I have heard he is killing it....

tiger_nick

Bench
Holdsworth was very good in PL.

Greenshields was originally five eight and played great for Wests Pl in that psoition two years ago, maybe worth a try??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Holdsworth had a top game in the reserves.

Gasnier looked dangerous late in the match when he started getting in close to the ruck.

In any case, there's hope that Hornby's injury isnt that bad. Apparently they'll know more tomorrow.

Hollywood

Juniors
I think our season was over when we lost Head. We will miss him the most when it comes to the bg games. As honest and good performer that Hornby is, I dont think he has the game at halfback against the big guns!

drake

First Grade
Terrible news losing Hornby, regardless of wether or not we have Head.
I agree that Holdsworth needs to come into first grade.

menai_dogs

Juniors
you know what i find funny. you guys have an all star line up, and u still manage to make an *ss out of yourselves. forget about the fact uz got beaten by the tigers, u guys should be in the top four, at the least. if the sharks had the players st george did, we'd be number one contenders. like to see barret do half the job kimmorley does for his team...

gregstar

Referee
menai_dogs said:
you know what i find funny. you guys have an all star line up, and u still manage to make an *ss out of yourselves. forget about the fact uz got beaten by the tigers, u guys should be in the top four, at the least. if the sharks had the players st george did, we'd be number one contenders. like to see barret do half the job kimmorley does for his team...
hey stupid! for it is obviously your name.
why forget about the loss to the tigers? a win would probably have put us in the top 4 you dope.
the sharks could have the entire australian team and still f*ck up.
the stench of 38 years would even derail the harlem globe-trotters.
retire now after 8 posts - prove you've reached genius level at least.

Latest posts