What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could League go to Ten?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/ros/story-e6frewt9-1225759275131

ooty footage follies

WITH the footy season now at the pointy end of the sports year, television networks are limbering up in a bid to steal the AFL rights from Seven and Ten.

Nine would love to broadcast the AFL and a high-level committee is already doing the sums on what it might cost.

One pundit has predicted that it would take $1 billion, which seems a little excessive.
Hard for just one network to carry that with the effects of the GFC still being felt at full force.

The word is that with Ten in the bad books for joining forces with 7 against 9, so this time around there is talk that the famous foes will combine to keep 10 out of the picture. No, really?

El Diablo

Post Whore
if 7 and 9 got boggerball i imagine Ten would put in a bid seeing they'd have nothing

if 7 and 9 are showing boggerball you can also bet they won't show League anywhere but NSW and Queensland

and the NRL rights should get a billion too as Roy Masters wrote a month or two ago

At least Channel 10 know how to promote the sports to which they have the rights.

Look at that Thursday Night sports show they have - it's basically "What's on ONEHD/TEN" with 10 minutes out to preview the NRL fixtures.

In-goal

Bench
I only wish some of you could travel the southern states to see why the rights to the AFL are so much bigger than that of the NRL at this time.

Don't kid yourselves about how big RL is in the national market, and on the other hand don't underestimate the size of the AFL.

I live and work in Melbourne, and over the last month I have had to live in Perth due to work, the AFL is so engrosed in all facets of the community over there. The same could be said about South Australia.

These people aren't just match watchers, they read it and live it, unlike the greater public of Sydney.

El Diablo

Post Whore
so what?

the AFL think that they will get a lot more because they're putting teams in Sydney and the GC

the Pink twinkies and the Bears usually come last in their slot when shown on TV. they get beaten by repeats of 20 year old movies

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont think Channel 10 alone could get us the value we so deserve, but if Fox Sports can bid, then I think we will get a fairly good deal seeing as we dominate Foxtel.

gallagher

Juniors
I live and work in Melbourne, and over the last month I have had to live in Perth due to work, the AFL is so engrosed in all facets of the community over there. The same could be said about South Australia.

I've lived in Perth for 5 years now and before that lived in Sydney for 32 years.
I see no difference in the culture between Sydney and league compared to AFL and Perth.
Can you explain what you mean by 'the AFL is so engrosed in all facets of the community '

I only wish some of you could travel the southern states to see why the rights to the AFL are so much bigger than that of the NRL at this time.

Don't kid yourselves about how big RL is in the national market, and on the other hand don't underestimate the size of the AFL.

These people aren't just match watchers, they read it and live it, unlike the greater public of Sydney.

Nobody doubts the fanaticism for the game of Australian Rules in it's heartlands. The reality is, though, there's no more of them watching their game on television in those areas than there are Rugby league fans watching our game in our's.

The only actual justification (aside from competition) we've been given for the larger amount given for the AFL rights is that their game allows for more commercials. Even the "national footprint" argument apparently isn't really the cause.

DeeJ

Bench
I would like to see it on 10. They always have f**king AFL games, previews, shows and even ads on it all the time so it would be good for them to get league.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If we want true value from our next TV deal and don't want to be held ransom by a sole broadcaster then we need to be on multiple channels, preferably all three FTA stations aswell as FoxSports.

If we are stuck with one channel in the next deal who's to say that they won't f**k us like C9 has done, with ridiculously delayed telecasts and not even showing it in certain areas.

babyg

Juniors
Yep, 10 wouldn't be scared of getting beat in the ratings either, imagine them putting a league game at 7.30 on a Friday night.

Agreed with the split, it would good to see Origin go to one station, test to another, NRL to one or two, and even charity shield or others split.

Question if 7 & 9 put in a joint bid, would that drive the drive the price down cause they're not competing against each other. One thing is for sure NRL rights again seem to be the dreggs to be picked up as second prize.

Didgi

There is no way stations can now prefer AFL to broadcast over NRL, the facts have proven that more people watch the NRL to factors of 10. The game will be making a comeback as soon as we are rid of David Gallop and can secure a new TV deal.

We need to convert those TV watchers to actually going to the games - AFL has huge crowds, but the publicwould rather watch the action form Kitchen stadium, while NRL has great TV audience, but lower crowds.

Last edited:

parano1a

Juniors
Are you guys serious? The NRL rights are worth ZERO in three of the five markets that the networks operate in.

This is the fault of both Nine and the NRL itself - the recent Friday night blockbuster match between St George and the Storm was shown at 12.30am on Nine and 2am on Fox in Melbourne and there wasn't even outrage because this is what the public has come to expect.

If the NRL wants the rights to be worth anything in Melbourne, they need to grow a pair and force the rights holder to at least show Storm games live in Melbourne. As for Adelaide and Perth, why would anyone from those cities bother following league when their teams were kicked out of the comp after only a few years?

You can say whatever you like about the AFL, but one advantage they have is they actually care about promoting their game in the northern states - all Lions and Swans games are shown live in those markets, and the same will be the case with the 2 new teams.

If the Storm had the same deal - the NRL TV rights would eventually be worth more as the team grew a regular television following on FTA.