What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could uncle Wayne be off to coach England?

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Justin Hodges and Greg Inglis back England push for Wayne Bennett
By Brent Read and Dan Koch
November 21, 2009 An English push to have Wayne Bennett join the country's coaching staff has been backed by two of the Kangaroos' biggest names.
Justin Hodges and Greg Inglis believe Bennett could have a dramatic impact on England, as he did for New Zealand in its stunning World Cup success last year.

After another defeat in the final of the recently completed Four Nations, Bennett has been earmarked as the man to lift England from the rugby league doldrums.

In a poll conducted by The Sun newspaper, more than one-third of respondents voted for Bennett to replace Tony Smith, who resigned after the Four Nations. Bennett was well clear of second choice John Kear, the coach of Wakefield in the Super League.

Hodges, on the Gold Coast for the announcement of the inaugural Indigenous All Stars side, said Bennett would be a perfect fit for England.

"He'd be great for them - you only have to see the confidence and guidance he gave New Zealand in the World Cup to know he can have an impact pretty quickly," Hodges said.

Although they were soundly beaten in the Four Nations final, several England players emerged with their reputations enhanced.

"They had plenty of firepower, plenty of skill and some good athletes. Their forwards were huge and played great for them right through the tournament," Inglis said.
"They just lacked a bit of experience I think, which probably cost at crucial times.

"Wayne, well his record speaks for itself."

The tyranny of distance could prove a stumbling block. Bennett would be unlikely to travel to Europe for England's traditional mid-year Test, but 2010's Four Nations will be played in Australia.

Another potential hurdle could be Bennett's relationship with New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney. The pair remain closely aligned and Kearney says he still speaks to Bennett regularly.
"I'll be telling him they don't need him," Kearney joked.

Though, he conceded Bennett had a deep love of the international game.

"That was one of the reasons he wanted to get involved with New Zealand," Kearney said.

"From my point of view, whoever he gets involved with is going to benefit."

Hodges said: "I don't think Wayne really wanted to do the New Zealand job but I think he felt it was the right thing for the game. So it might be the same case again here.

"Wayne being Wayne, he will probably want to help them out if he thinks it will help in the international game."

Bennett has his hands full in 2010. Not only will he attempt to end St George Illawarra's long wait for a premiership, but he will be in charge of the NRL All Stars side which will play the Indigenous All Stars on the Gold Coast in February.

Story Here

....hope not. Although he deserves to coach at a national level
1. I dont want England to win.
2. As it says in the last paragraph, he has his hands full.
3. I dont want England to win.... who would?

thoughts?

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Didnt he quit his assistant coaching job with (a better team compared to England) New Zealand, just so that he could spend more time coaching the dragons? I doubt he will take up the role, unless it is in about 10 years time and England are still desperate

intercept

Juniors
Is it that much of an issue if he just 'consults' with the England team/coach behind the scenes at the Four Nations held down here next year? It would be early in our off-season when Saints hasn't even begun training as yet, and he would definitely help to improve the international game just by being in the England camp for those few weeks.

Sas2200

Juniors
Dont think Saints would really let him have a full hands on coaching role with the poms....surely getting that premiership trophy and ending the drought is a priority

SEAT 1A

Bench
Dont think Saints would really let him have a full hands on coaching role with the poms....surely getting that premiership trophy and ending the drought is a priority

Agree with Sas2200.

I don't think Wayne will be offering his services to England in the near future, as he has unfinished business with the Dragons. He showed how good a coach he is with the Dragons, added with the determination and professionalism shown by the players this year by winning the minor premiership.

I think at one point in his coaching career, he may want to offer his talents to England, as I think he deserves the financial return and the recognition as one of the best coaches of all time.

Fartowner

Juniors
England are not surprisingly looking for a new coach, on many SL websites Bennett is being nominated, the job is usually part time, with an excisting SL coach taking on the roll, its also been said he could do this by switching with Nathan Brown, at the Giants, both renewing links with previous clubs, but this would be 2 years from now but in time for Englands next world cup, in 2013, thoughts?? :shock:

Goddo

Bench
I don't have a problem if he has a consulting role with England when they tour to Australia, but full time coach is a no. For the game to develop internationally, Australia needs strong rivals to keep it interesting. If Bennett can provide a bit of strength to the Four Nations competition, great, but priority 1 is a St George premiership... 79 was a long time ago...