What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covell Goalkicking Record Countdown

wittyfan

Referee
The Cov is going to get the record. When Covell's in the zone, no one matches his kicking. (apart from Michael Witt of course)

ali

Bench
Mr Saab said:
El Masri holds the record in the Australian comp and thats all that matters.

Ken Irvine is the leading try scorer in the ARL/NRL..and he is acknowledged as so. However Brian Bevan has a million tries in the English comp.
What happens in overseas comps is irrelevant...it is like putting Andrew Gaze in some of the NBA stats...please.

You are kidding. The NSWRL / NRL may have been the stronger comp from about 1970 -2004 or so, but there have been plenty of times in the past where the English had a stronger comp than the NSWRL.

By the way there is a statue of Brian Bevan as you arrive in Warrington. I think a better reason (than bias) for not comparing NSWRL / NRL stats with English try stats is that they play a sh*tload more games.

BWNB

First Grade
bigdogsgottaeat said:
The thing is that El Masri did it in completely different circumstances.

Covell is just out there kicking for the fun of it
, because he knows the Sharks are so bad that 2 points will hardly make a difference in the scheme of things.

As soon as the pressure is on, Covell will choke. That is why El Masri is so much better - he actually performs when its really necessary.

Covell might be able to kick a goal, but he can't handle pressure situations.

LOL please.

bartman

Immortal

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:|

No, he cracks under it.

I called him ugly and he missed.

Inferno

Coach
bigdogsgottaeat said:
It was 26-24 until we crossed in the dying minutes. At that point (correct me if I'm wrong) but Cov had missed 3 conversions, at least one which was basically right in front. If he had kicked those, you would've more than likely won that game.

Don't get me wrong, he played very well in that game, and I've been impressed this year. But the fact is that he is a choker. My point stands - if he had actually been under pressure this year, he would not even be close to the record. Its a very empty record when 13 of the goals were scored for a losing side, in zero pressure situations.

How is under any less pressure than any of the other kickers in other teams when he attempts a conversion? He missed 3 that day and 1 was from a reasonable distance, had he kicked it we still would have been equal. Fact remains you can't afford to let your position score 32 points and expect to walk away with the win.

Even if we are losing I think its stupid calling them zero pressure situations. We are not guaranteed a spot in the top 8 and it will most likely come down to F/A so every point is Vital.

Who are we losing from our squad this year that makes us weaker next year?

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Inferno said:
How is under any less pressure than any of the other kickers in other teams when he attempts a conversion? He missed 3 that day and 1 was from a reasonable distance, had he kicked it we still would have been equal. Fact remains you can't afford to let your position score 32 points and expect to walk away with the win.

Even if we are losing I think its stupid calling them zero pressure situations. We are not guaranteed a spot in the top 8 and it will most likely come down to F/A so every point is Vital.

Who are we losing from our squad this year that makes us weaker next year?

Well said.

I must say his post is filled with ignorance. So if you kick a goal in the loosing side it doesnt matter. Take last weeks 38-32 loss. His 6\6 kept us in the game. His goalkicking vs Manly was very important in our 15-12 win, and vs Newcsatle in our narrow win.

And so you are saying El Masris kicks were all under extreme pressure? You are kidding BDGE. Covell has kicked alot from the touchline as well.

Covell played a big part (His goalkicking) in our loss against the Dogs, I admit that - it wasnt the sole reason though.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Covell is a damn good kicker and is in the top 3 natural kickers with Michael Witt and Hazen El Masri. If he break's Hazem's record then so be it!

bartman

Immortal
Corbin said:
is Eaton still playing?

He's still running around for NL2 side Keighley Cougars, I believe. Former Welsh international player, must be getting on in age now.

Timmah

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Covell is a damn good kicker and is in the top 3 natural kickers with Michael Witt and Hazen El Masri. If he break's Hazem's record then so be it!

Oh get a grip!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Oh get a grip!

Huh? Covell is a good kicker and is a "natural goalkicker". Simillar with Witt and El Masri. All 3 are as good as each other really. All 3 should be the top 3 n terms of goalkicking % in years to come.

Timmah

Staff member
Covell is NOWHERE near El Masri. Get a f**king grip. Covell's strikerate in the seasons before this streak and even up until this streak began was not good at all and to suggest he's in the same league as Hazem simply because he's on 27/27 at the moment is ludicrous. He's come good recently but stop chest beating him like he's a goalkicking great. One sweet run does not an all-time great make.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Covell has changed his style a bit and the rewards are coming as a result. In the end he will be a good goalkicker. Will he be as good as Hazem, well we don't know. Time will tell. The best kicker after Hazem is probally Michael Witt then Covell.

Timmah

Staff member
Michael Witt? WTF? Stop taking the piss and partake in an actual discussion.

As much as I hate Johns, he sh*ts all over both of those players. Covell is probably 5th or 6th at best.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yes, Michael Witt. Have a look at his %'s. Joey is pretty good as well granted. Aaron Gorrell is a pretty decent one as well.

Inferno

Coach
Timmah said:
Michael Witt? WTF? Stop taking the piss and partake in an actual discussion.

As much as I hate Johns, he sh*ts all over both of those players. Covell is probably 5th or 6th at best.

Right now Johns has kicked 70/87 for a total of 80.46%
Meanwhile Covell has kicked 65/81 for a total of 80.25% nothing in it really.

Only ones better than Covell are

Schif on 86.96%
Hazem on 82.83%
Gorell on 82.35%
Johns on 80.46%

Not much seperating them really.

Latest posts