What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covell Goalkicking Record Countdown

innsaneink

Referee
All crap aside, Covell is an awesome kicker, and when he hits them sweetly they are drilled...never look like missing. Fair ball runner too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He hasn't looked like being a decent kicker til this year though, his strike rate last year and prior to this run this year has been nothing short of atrocious. Some of his misses vs Bulldogs were horrible.

That said, from calculations he hasn't missed since the 45th minute vs the NZ Warriors in Round 12. He's on 28 straight after last night.

ali

Bench
stormman said:
It is Barry Eaton who hold the record with 36. He played for Batley in England's NL1 comp. He beat El Masri about 3 month after EL MASRI did hes.

That's what I thought. Come on Covell, the spirit fingers will get you home.

innsaneink

Referee
I thought it was pretty soon after el masri did it that eaton broke it...like a week or so.....remember thinking it was ironic.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Covell has 27 in a row.
The NRL Record is either 35 or 36 and I think the world record is 1 or 2 more which was broken a week or so later after Hasem did it.

Is there anyway this can be checked?

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
bigdogsgottaeat said:
The thing is that El Masri did it in completely different circumstances.

Covell is just out there kicking for the fun of it, because he knows the Sharks are so bad that 2 points will hardly make a difference in the scheme of things.

As soon as the pressure is on, Covell will choke. That is why El Masri is so much better - he actually performs when its really necessary.

Covell might be able to kick a goal, but he can't handle pressure situations.

You my friend are a knob.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
You my friend are a knob.

Eh - at least I've got something to look forward to aside from an individual's effort.

You know I'm right about Covell. I think he's a very good player, but he seems to crumble a little when it matters most. Look at the Dogs game - you guys should've won that, but Cov lost it for you.

Nice season Sharkies. Better luck next year - at least you can look forward to 2007 with eager anticipation, with all the great signings you've made :lol:

Inferno

Coach
bigdogsgottaeat said:
Eh - at least I've got something to look forward to aside from an individual's effort.

You know I'm right about Covell. I think he's a very good player, but he seems to crumble a little when it matters most. Look at the Dogs game - you guys should've won that, but Cov lost it for you.

Nice season Sharkies. Better luck next year - at least you can look forward to 2007 with eager anticipation, with all the great signings you've made :lol:

It was sh*thouse ruck defence that lost us that game not cov's kicking.

simon says

First Grade
He is a solid player whoe doesnt get much room to move playing for the Sharks.....and on his kicking,he strikes them harder than anyone Ive seen.You may have noticed there is very littel curve on his kicks,once he drills it they fly.

Mr Saab

Referee
Immortal said:
El Masri doesn't hold the record.

El Masri equaled it, the next DAY, someone in England beat it.

El Masri holds the record in the Australian comp and thats all that matters.

Ken Irvine is the leading try scorer in the ARL/NRL..and he is acknowledged as so. However Brian Bevan has a million tries in the English comp.
What happens in overseas comps is irrelevant...it is like putting Andrew Gaze in some of the NBA stats...please.

sharkadelic

Juniors
bigdogsgottaeat said:

Who have Canterbury signed? Oh yes. Daryl Millard. :crazy:

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
sharkadelic said:
Who have Canterbury signed? Oh yes. Daryl Millard. :crazy:

So, are you actually suggesting that you are looking forward to next year?

Your team on paper is even worse than this year - and look how well you are performing. The Dogs have almost the same team as this year, and I think we're performing pretty well actually!!!

Unfortunately it looks like another lean year for the Sharks. Honestly the Sharks are my 2nd team so I'm disappointed, but I just can't see 2007 being the year of the Shark!

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Inferno said:
It was sh*thouse ruck defence that lost us that game not cov's kicking.

It was 26-24 until we crossed in the dying minutes. At that point (correct me if I'm wrong) but Cov had missed 3 conversions, at least one which was basically right in front. If he had kicked those, you would've more than likely won that game.

Don't get me wrong, he played very well in that game, and I've been impressed this year. But the fact is that he is a choker. My point stands - if he had actually been under pressure this year, he would not even be close to the record. Its a very empty record when 13 of the goals were scored for a losing side, in zero pressure situations.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
[furrycat] said:
Sharks - 40 years and won Sweet f**k all.

We don't need to buy our players sharkadelic :p

No you just pay the ones you have already extra and cheat the cap. (2003 Salary Cap Breachers)

[furrycat]

Coach
2003 scandal? :lol:

Pardon?

Maybe you should check your facts- Bulldogs were not docked points/fined in 2003.