What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covell Goalkicking Record Countdown

brendothejet

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Covell is a damn good kicker and is in the top 3 natural kickers with Michael Witt and Hazen El Masri. If he break's Hazem's record then so be it!

so he is a natural kciker.

then....

Covell has changed his style a bit and the rewards are coming as a result. In the end he will be a good goalkicker.

...he has had to change his style so that in the end he will be a good goal kicker.

So what is it locky, is he a natural or is it a case of working?

Natural players who do things naturally usually dont have to force their technique...

One thing is for sure, it doesn't matter the hemisphere you're in you are a natural idiot.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Inferno said:
Right now Johns has kicked 70/87 for a total of 80.46%
Meanwhile Covell has kicked 65/81 for a total of 80.25% nothing in it really.

Only ones better than Covell are

Schif on 86.96%
Hazem on 82.83%
Gorell on 82.35%
Johns on 80.46%

Not much seperating them really.

Nobody has defined that we're talking about this season alone.

The best goalkicker, careerwise, is Hazem El Masri. No questions asked. Andrew Johns would be next, Schifcofske not far behind. Covell has a long way to go and a lot of improvement to make before he even gets mentioned in the same breath as Hazem or Johns. The suggestion came earlier that the three greatest kickers in today's game were Hazem, Covell and Witt. Witt? Give me a break. 2/2 for 100% this season? What you guys are waffling on with is akin to the behaviour displayed last year by some Eels fans suggesting Tim Smith was already in the category Johns is in regards to being the best half in the NRL.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
luke had some absolute shockers earlier this year. its good to see he's changed his style and hasnt missed a kick since. its also good to see a player be supported for an amazing acheivement. out of the 27 in a row id say at least 8 or 9 have been from the sideline.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
look, the cov is not as good as el masri yet, or as johns or schif. Most of us agree with you there Timmah, but the fact is, he is still good, and 27 in a row is an amazing feat, even if your GK % is like 50%, 27 in a row is brilliant. Why not give him the recognition for that and take this 'who is better' to TFC.

[furrycat]

Coach
lockyno1 said:
Yes, Michael Witt. Have a look at his %'s. Joey is pretty good as well granted. Aaron Gorrell is a pretty decent one as well.
Michael Witt?

You are a drop kick. 2/2 this season- 100%... wow...

Get back to LA or partake in the discussion properly.

[furrycat]

Coach
Locky; you are trying to bait people by saying Michael Witt is a great goal kicker.

He is no where near the same league as El Masri or even Covell.

f**k up and talk properly for once and stop talking sh*t.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Well said.

I must say his post is filled with ignorance. So if you kick a goal in the loosing side it doesnt matter. Take last weeks 38-32 loss. His 6\6 kept us in the game. His goalkicking vs Manly was very important in our 15-12 win, and vs Newcsatle in our narrow win.

And so you are saying El Masris kicks were all under extreme pressure? You are kidding BDGE. Covell has kicked alot from the touchline as well.

Covell played a big part (His goalkicking) in our loss against the Dogs, I admit that - it wasnt the sole reason though.

Lads I feel that I have once more baited an argument between the pro- and anti- Covell camps... Though I suggest that this thread was always going to result in some sort of post-a-thon from both sides.

Covell is a good kicker, and as I said, I've been impressed by his play on the wing. When he's playing in a team thats winning, he looks very good indeed. And he can certainly pot them from out wide. My only comment about Covell in the negative is that he seems to miss some very easy kicks when under pressure (note that he has rarely had the opportunity to be tested in that sort of a situation playing for Cronulla!)

RE: Inferno's comments about next year - check your own forums mate, your fellow fans aren't nearly as confident about next year as you seem to be. And with good reason - with awful halves and the inability to sign players of merit (how many did you approach and still came up with nothing?). The lack of depth at Cronulla has been exposed this year, and I think you really needed to make some good signings to make 2007 worthwhile. Unfortunately, a very lean year for the Sharks approaches...

cWo?

Poor man's imitation of the eWo, which has existed since 2000!

But good luck to Covell - if he ever gets the record then he deserves it.

innsaneink

Referee
aussies1st said:
What happened?

Un-Covell tripped over his feet and missed one from pretty much in front.

Records are for champs, and he went out of contention appropriately...missing a sitter.

Timmah

Staff member
wittyfan said:
The Cov is going to get the record. When Covell's in the zone, no one matches his kicking. (apart from Michael Witt of course)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You poor sad little man.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm not critical, I just think you're a f**king idiot comparing him to goalkicking greats due to one good streak. His goalkicking prior to this streak is evidence that you're full of sh*t.