What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

gUt

Coach
I hope he finds the Gabba's green-top

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01...t-seeks-nations-lost-cricket-pitches/13071028

Les Everett's epic quest to uncover Australia's 'lost' cricket pitches

13076110-3x2-xlarge.png

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-21/big-bash-league-indigenous-strips-australia-day/13077082

Scott Morrison attacks Cricket Australia for decision to drop term 'Australia Day' from BBL promotions

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has criticised Cricket Australia (CA) for its decision to avoid using the term "Australia Day" in Big Bash League promotions.

Key points:

• The move was a recommendation from the National Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Cricket Advisory Committee
  • Cricket Australia wants to encourage discussion of the issue
  • The move has been firmly approved by the game's players, but sparked criticism from the Prime Minister
Three Big Bash clubs will wear Indigenous jerseys and Cricket Australia decided to drop the term in a bid to normalise conversations over the date's history.

The move to abandon references to "Australia Day" prompted a rebuke from Mr Morrison, who is touring a refinery in Queensland on Thursday.

"I think a bit more focus on cricket, and a bit less focus on politics would be my message to Cricket Australia," he told radio station 4RO.

"I think that's pretty ordinary but that's what they're putting on their press releases."

He said Cricket Australia should listen to any backlash from fans opposed to the decision and reverse it.

The Sydney Thunder, Perth Scorchers and Melbourne Renegades will all wear their special strips in matches on January 23, 25 and 26.

A barefoot circle, Welcome to Country and smoking ceremony will also take place before some games, with CA leading the initiative backed by the clubs.

The moves form part of several recommendations by the sport's National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cricket Advisory Committee, with three games to be played on January 26.

"They thought it was pretty important to not remove cultural elements we have celebrated all season on a day like that," Cricket Australia's diversity and inclusion manager Adam Cassidy told AAP.

"Obviously it's a bit of a challenge when you have matches being played on a day of mourning for a lot of people."

CA is well aware the issue is a sensitive one and is desperate for it not to prove divisive, but for it to encourage open discussion.

"When you are a business operating under a Stretch Reconciliation Action Plan, it does come with responsibility and accountability to lead on key reconciliation issues," Cassidy said.

"In an ideal world what we're trying to do is create a safe and inclusive environment for everybody."

Indigenous jerseys have been worn across different sports for some time, but it is the first time they will be used over the Australia Day period.

13072084-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Scott Morrison is currently on a tour of western Queensland.(ABC North West Queensland: Kelly Butterworth)
The move has been firmly approved by the game's players, with Sydney Thunder's Brendan Doggett championing the cause through his own Indigenous history.

"I hate conflict. So I am of the opinion if we can all merge forward together that's ideal," Doggett said.

"The way we're going to do that is by starting conversations and talking about it and acknowledging the history of what's happened.

"If we wear the kit and hopefully even start one conversation then that is a win."

The Thunder have long referred to the public holiday as the January long weekend and have been a leader in multicultural initiatives through the Thunder Cup.

Doggett, meanwhile, has grown increasingly aware of his Indigenous history in recent years, after only discovering his mother's family's links to the Stolen Generation around five years ago.

That, too, has changed his perspective on the day, which he says is now far different to when he was a carpenter in Queensland.

And it's with that perspective he believes it is possible to become more united, and that wearing the Indigenous jerseys could help prompt that.

"For me now it's more of a day to just recognise and acknowledge the history and everything that has happened. And do it respectfully," he said.

"It makes me want to make sure that everyone's moving forward together.

"It's a pretty dark past but if we can move forward, together and united then in my opinion that's the best result."

undertaker

Coach
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-21/big-bash-league-indigenous-strips-australia-day/13077082

Scott Morrison attacks Cricket Australia for decision to drop term 'Australia Day' from BBL promotions

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has criticised Cricket Australia (CA) for its decision to avoid using the term "Australia Day" in Big Bash League promotions.

Key points:

• The move was a recommendation from the National Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Cricket Advisory Committee
  • Cricket Australia wants to encourage discussion of the issue
  • The move has been firmly approved by the game's players, but sparked criticism from the Prime Minister
Three Big Bash clubs will wear Indigenous jerseys and Cricket Australia decided to drop the term in a bid to normalise conversations over the date's history.

The move to abandon references to "Australia Day" prompted a rebuke from Mr Morrison, who is touring a refinery in Queensland on Thursday.

"I think a bit more focus on cricket, and a bit less focus on politics would be my message to Cricket Australia," he told radio station 4RO.

"I think that's pretty ordinary but that's what they're putting on their press releases."

He said Cricket Australia should listen to any backlash from fans opposed to the decision and reverse it.

The Sydney Thunder, Perth Scorchers and Melbourne Renegades will all wear their special strips in matches on January 23, 25 and 26.

A barefoot circle, Welcome to Country and smoking ceremony will also take place before some games, with CA leading the initiative backed by the clubs.

The moves form part of several recommendations by the sport's National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cricket Advisory Committee, with three games to be played on January 26.

"They thought it was pretty important to not remove cultural elements we have celebrated all season on a day like that," Cricket Australia's diversity and inclusion manager Adam Cassidy told AAP.

"Obviously it's a bit of a challenge when you have matches being played on a day of mourning for a lot of people."

CA is well aware the issue is a sensitive one and is desperate for it not to prove divisive, but for it to encourage open discussion.

"When you are a business operating under a Stretch Reconciliation Action Plan, it does come with responsibility and accountability to lead on key reconciliation issues," Cassidy said.

"In an ideal world what we're trying to do is create a safe and inclusive environment for everybody."

Indigenous jerseys have been worn across different sports for some time, but it is the first time they will be used over the Australia Day period.

13072084-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Scott Morrison is currently on a tour of western Queensland.(ABC North West Queensland: Kelly Butterworth)
The move has been firmly approved by the game's players, with Sydney Thunder's Brendan Doggett championing the cause through his own Indigenous history.

"I hate conflict. So I am of the opinion if we can all merge forward together that's ideal," Doggett said.

"The way we're going to do that is by starting conversations and talking about it and acknowledging the history of what's happened.

"If we wear the kit and hopefully even start one conversation then that is a win."

The Thunder have long referred to the public holiday as the January long weekend and have been a leader in multicultural initiatives through the Thunder Cup.

Doggett, meanwhile, has grown increasingly aware of his Indigenous history in recent years, after only discovering his mother's family's links to the Stolen Generation around five years ago.

That, too, has changed his perspective on the day, which he says is now far different to when he was a carpenter in Queensland.

And it's with that perspective he believes it is possible to become more united, and that wearing the Indigenous jerseys could help prompt that.

"For me now it's more of a day to just recognise and acknowledge the history and everything that has happened. And do it respectfully," he said.

"It makes me want to make sure that everyone's moving forward together.

"It's a pretty dark past but if we can move forward, together and united then in my opinion that's the best result."

Another example of a sport being hijacked by political agendas.

King hit

Coach
Politics have got absolutely no place being in sports. Just look at how the NBA have driven away so many of their own fans over the last year by being political.

TheParraboy

Staff member
If I don't watch BBL on Australia day, it's not a boycott or protest or what ever the hell.
It's because their's only so much derp I can take.

I mean Renegades Vs Huricanes
And Heat vs Scorchers.
The two worse teams in the comp vs two slightly less derpy teams.

Come of it, look at these mighty match ups

Finch Martin v Admiral Wade

Lynnsanity v Levers Bison

My eyes are glued for 6+ hrs

Eelogical

Referee
sport and politics ?

yeh, nar
Exactly. Thank you, but the two will always be intertwined. Sports players for the most part are not too bright when they invilve themselves in political issues. That being said, our pollies aren't much better.

mozza91

Coach
How about Kyle Mayers getting a double hundred on debut in a big 4th innings chase?

Outstanding achievement. Like most cricket fans I’ve got a soft spot for the West Indies so hopefully he can go on with it and become a top player.

Latest posts