What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crikey! How bad is Benji Marshall?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Almost cost us again against the Titans. Nice set up of a try only to give one away. Great kick downfield only to put in 2 or 3 luft drives. Two steps back everytime we lose the yards because of some fundmental error.

BUT.... I think we have to at least give him this year to find some consistency.

That said, it'l be a major piss off if Marshall uses Saints to regain his form then pisses off to another club or code.

Kuro

Juniors
Would like to see the name of this thread changed to something less insulting and more accurate

Agreed.

So many sooks in this thread. Benji to hit his stride soon, he is putting in a lot of effort - all the sooks in this thread to find something else to complain about.

Almost cost us again against the Titans. Nice set up of a try only to give one away. Great kick downfield only to put in 2 or 3 luft drives. Two steps back everytime we lose the yards because of some fundmental error.

BUT.... I think we have to at least give him this year to find some consistency.

That said, it'l be a major piss off if Marshall uses Saints to regain his form then pisses off to another club or code.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that Willow. After the 2 seasons of piss he served up at Wests many of us were happy to see the back of him. He'll never cut out the cross field running, loose pass to row H, failing to find touch with penalty kicks and kicking out on the full.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Haha. It's a bigger sook to try and shut down a different opinion.

Marshall needs to find some form, and I hope he does find that form. But until then, keep an open mind. Of course, everytime he touches the ball there's an air of anticipation. Unfortunately that also involves bracing oneself for a pass into touch, a kick to no one or a dropped ball.

Looking forward to the banner, "Holler for a Marshall" - but that might just a tad premature right now.

jenninga

First Grade
Haha. It's a bigger sook to try and shut down a different opinion.

Marshall needs to find some form, and I hope he does find that form. But until then, keep an open mind. Of course, everytime he touches the ball there's an air of anticipation. Unfortunately that also involves bracing oneself for a pass into touch, a kick to no one or a dropped ball.

Looking forward to the banner, "Holler for a Marshall" - but that might just a tad premature right now.

Not a fan?

bottle

Coach
I'm repeating myself, and paraphrasing others, but Benji is a player who will always create opportunities.
Some of them will even be for the team he plays for.

He has always had this element of error in him, even at his absolute best. Your heart is in your mouth when he gets the ball in hand, whether he is playing for you or against you, because he can be brilliant or very bad. A bit like the little girl with the curl.

I remember the latter stages of the 2010 prelim. Every time he got the ball I quaked a little because there was no telling what was going to eventuate. Fortunately for us he came up with a couple of duds with an out on the full and the final kick that found Darius. Could just as easily gone the way of 2005 though. That's Benji.

twinkletoes

Juniors
All I know is that a month ago I was totally pessimistic about making the 8. Now I have a small degree of hope & optimism, whether it be misplaced or not, time will tell

jenninga

First Grade
I'm repeating myself, and paraphrasing others, but Benji is a player who will always create opportunities.
Some of them will even be for the team he plays for.

He has always had this element of error in him, even at his absolute best. Your heart is in your mouth when he gets the ball in hand, whether he is playing for you or against you, because he can be brilliant or very bad. A bit like the little girl with the curl.

I remember the latter stages of the 2010 prelim. Every time he got the ball I quaked a little because there was no telling what was going to eventuate. Fortunately for us he came up with a couple of duds with an out on the full and the final kick that found Darius. Could just as easily gone the way of 2005 though. That's Benji.

You said this before.:D

dragonreddy

Juniors
Yeah I'm with you on that Rev and I think most ar e. Wecouldnt make a line break all year til Benji shows up and Quinlan is recalled. My concern is the same as yours which I posted in another thread is injuries as we just don't have the depth in the forwards to cover it. You can bet that the knives will come out for Benji, Quinlan and Rein when they struggle behind an inferior (more so than now) pack. Stockwell will be back just before the bye but doubt they will rush him in without any match fitness so we will be down Mez, Frizell and Stockwell. Considering we were getting smashed with them not so long ago its gonna be a tough few weeks. At full strength I think we would beat Melb and Cowboys at home

Just being a smartarse GT do the stats count the linebreaks Benchy supplies the opposition as well ALA hitting KEV GORDON nicely with the cutout pass .:D

jenninga

First Grade
I didn't say that.

The onus is on Marshall to prove himself to the supporters. Do you disagree with this?

Not at all,and I can see he is hungry to prove himself.He isn't going through the motions,just hope he and Widdop can combine together rather than nullify each others game.
Just thought you didn't like him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
How could I dislike him?

Long live St George, long live Rugby League and long live Saint Benji.
i want to believe, show us the way benji.
I want to believe too.

When all the sickly Channel 9 adoration for Benji was on, even when he signed with Union, they still went on with "we love you Benji... we'll never forget you Benji... please don't cry Benji", I was thinking WTF? Yes, I used to be in the "f**k off to Union Benji" camp.

But now I know he was just misunderstood... and it was all the media's fault. Amazing what wearing the Red V does for a man's worth.

Where's that picture of Homer Simpson waving the Bunji flag?

bottle

Coach
It is amazing how a man wearing the Red V can suddenly become an extremely worthwhile human being.
That's real V power.

dragonreddy

Juniors
It is amazing how a man wearing the Red V can suddenly become an extremely worthwhile human being.
That's real V power.

That could be a good line to entice Shell PETROLEUM on board as a sponsor they could use that slogan with Benji for their V-POWER fuel advertising.