What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crime Command Takes Over NRL Betting Inquiry

muznik

Juniors
Apparently the Eels are keeping in constant contact with Murray.

Well, that's a relief, considering he works for us.
Another hopeless Weidler line no doubt.

Suity

yeah... but so does Tahu and they find out what hes up to by each days Telegraph

born an eel

Bench
looks like anasta will be going to the cowboys, the rooster want murray back and set him up, so we are forced to sack him and they pick him up:sarcasm:

daly m player of the year in 2 years ;-)

boxhead

First Grade
It doesn't matter if that is how it happened or not. It has to be proven by law he didn't.

I know how the legal system works and in a criminal court case the defendant's crime has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. To charge Brad Murray with the crime it has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Eels Dude

Coach
I know how the legal system works and in a criminal court case the defendant's crime has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. To charge Brad Murray with the crime it has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

No, to charge him they need sufficient evidence, to find him guilty it has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The NRL is not a court of law. If they feel there's sufficient evidence to suggest Murray did place a bet on an NRL match they can suspend and deregister him.

No, to charge him they need sufficient evidence, to find him guilty it has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The NRL is not a court of law. If they feel there's sufficient evidence to suggest Murray did place a bet on an NRL match they can suspend and deregister him.
as you said there are two parties at work here even if the police dont charge him the nrl can still punish him themselves i hope he is innocent i would hate to see him cop a suspension or ban from the nrl

Parra Pride

Referee
PARRAMATTA Eels rookie Brad Murray is not the only rugby league identity linked by CCTV footage to the sport's ugly betting scandal.

Murray was identified in footage released yesterday, but a second man's suspicious betting patterns have also been caught on camera - with the images now in the hands of police.

The Daily Telegraph has learned the man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, visited five TABs during a five-hour betting plunge in the days before the contentious Cowboys-Bulldogs match in August last year.

The man changed outfits for each TAB, but not his betting patterns - he was backing the Cowboys to score first with a penalty goal.

The CCTV footage of the man - who has links to current players - has become part of the police investigation, but detectives yesterday refused to confirm or deny the man's involvement.

It is unknown how much money was gambled.

Investigation head Detective Superintendent Arthur Katsogiannis would not confirm the nature of what police had viewed on CCTV.

"We have examined a host of CCTV footage depicting individuals placing bets on the game. I'm not prepared to elaborate on who those individuals may be," he said.

However, the images of Murray are the only ones to be released by police investigating possible charges over the betting scam.

Officers released the image yesterday, asking for the public to help identify him.

Soon after, Murray's identity was passed on to police, who are yet to speak to him.

Murray, who played for the Roosters last season before joining Parramatta for the next three years, was named in the 2010 Toyota Cup team of the year.

He placed his bet, backing the Cowboys to score first in the match via a penalty goal, on August 19 in a Flemington hotel on Parramatta Rd. Over the next two days a number of similar bets were placed by others around the country, with punters standing to collect more than $250,000.

"We didn't go into the specifics but, yes, I have spoken to Brad," said Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne.

"It is a difficult time for him and his family but I've encouraged him to fully co-operate with police."

Asked would his club consider sacking Murray, Osborne said: "It's too early."

Murray is managed by Sam Ayoub, also the agent for Bulldogs prop Ryan Tandy, who has denied any wrong-doing despite losing the ball with his first hit-up of the match and conceding a penalty in front of his side's posts.

Mr Ayoub would not return calls last night.

Supt Katsogiannis said he was "optimistic" the investigation would uncover the truth behind the betting.

No charges have been laid.

More than 80 people have been interviewed, including players from the match.

NRL chief David Gallop said: "It is difficult to comment until the police investigation is complete."

Supt Katsogiannis said the scandal "if true" risked eroding public confidence in all sports.

So it's not only Murray involved in placing the bets.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...lldogs-bet-probe/story-e6frexnr-1225964414649

Last edited:

jc155776

Coach
Weidler wont go off against a player agent as they feed him all his info. He is down on his knees to these germs every week.

Player agents are scum. So is the Worm.

bartman

Immortal
No way, so it was our Brad Murray who was in that photo the police wanted the public to identify? :lol:

This betting saga gets funnier and funnier. I hope they pull in a ringleader for this, might just help the rest of the game clean itself up a little bit.

Eels Dude

Coach
Weidler wont go off against a player agent as they feed him all his info. He is down on his knees to these germs every week.

Player agents are scum. So is the Worm.

I thought he got all his info from Anthony Mundine or SBW... those seem to be the only two he gossips about rugby league wise, even though they're both out of the sport.

boxhead

First Grade
I wonder what will happen to Brad Murray.....the punishment should be the correct one, not the obvious one. I hope the NRL and the Eels see fit to handle this well.

Let me be a devil's advocate for Murray.

What if Murray was told to have a bet for someone on a trotter at fixed odds. Maybe the ticket was already written out for him or he was given the code no. He was told the bets were being spread around so more money could be placed on the trotter at the max odds. Plausible and nothing illegal or wrong for a footy player to bet on Trots. There were trots being run that night.

Only after he places the bet does he realise the bet was for something else.Maybe he doesn't even look at the ticket. What does he do them ? Maybe he thinks the wrong code was written down. Who hasn't done that. I accidently backed someone to win the Browlow medal at 1000 - 1 odds once. I trying to have an NRL bet. When he realises what the bet was for and it loses what does he do about.

How can anyone prove this hasn't happened.

What the Police will want from Murrray is who he was placing the bet for. Presumably others are implicated. Others who are connected to the match.

After you had the bet on the winner of the brownlow, did you cancel the bet?

If you have just had a $1000 bet on something, you are going to check the ticket.......

By the way, a Sports bet ticket is completely different to a horse/greyhound ticket in the TAB.