What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla Sharks facing financial oblivion

cityshark

Juniors
Im fine with this from Zaps, lets just move on. But No Gow please he would have sold the whole shebang a few years ago and we would have no assets to do anything with. Try geting a loan without assets, we would end up like Souths , playing out of ANZ with dwindling supporter base ( look at their crowds ) going down hill.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
you recieve a grant of 3.5 mill from the NRL each year which basically covers player payments, why the f**k would you blame this on Noddy??

besides, your management and coaching staff agreed to sign Noddy, the guy is only doing what's best for himself..

blaming him is completely and utterly ignorant..

Shows what you know. That Poison Pixie, known as The Toxic Gnome or to his fan as Noddy, sunk the Titanic and made Vesuvius erupt and wipe out Pompeii. He bumped off the Space Shuttle Columbia, caused the recent tsunami in Asia, personally activated the San Andreas fault and is responsible for the current global ecomonic crisis.

He also makes it rain.

bluey

Bench
Shows what you know. That Poison Pixie, known as The Toxic Gnome or to his fan as Noddy, sunk the Titanic and made Vesuvius erupt and wipe out Pompeii. He bumped off the Space Shuttle Columbia, caused the recent tsunami in Asia, personally activated the San Andreas fault and is responsible for the current global ecomonic crisis.

He also makes it rain.

:lol::lol: Go hard mate

Hanscholo

Bench
We have assets in development so we will be fine but maybe we should be looking at our banking partner a bit more closely . We ask for 1m and they offer 500,000 , I think we can do better and they are now Westpak , different people at the helm.

Your lucky you got that.

The financial crisis is all about banks not wanting to loan money to high risks. No bank wants any prospective doubful debts on the balance sheet, they will get hosed in the market for it.

Jasdragon

Juniors
IT'S the uncertainty no one in the Sutherland Shire wants to relive.

Just 15 years after their beloved footy side staved off insolvency, the Cronulla Sharks have again been forced to seek financial aid as the leagues club struggles to deflect the ravages of soaring poker machine taxes and indoor smoking bans.
The Daily Telegraph has learned Sharks officials requested a $1 million loan from St George Bank in September to pay wages and bills over Christmas. The football club needed the liquidity because Sharkies Leagues Club no longer has the means to drip-feed it cash on demand over the slow-trading summer period.
St George Bank, however, could only approve $500,000. In addition, the bank asked the Sharks to conduct an independent financial review of both the leagues and football clubs.
The global economic crisis has tightened lines of credit to all lenders. Plus, the entire Sharks group no longer boasts enough financial surety to command a $1 million loan.
As auditors from sleeve sponsor and global accountant PKF yesterday interviewed staff at the Sharks base in Woolooware, group chairman Barry Pierce conceded "hard calls" would need to be made.
Possible measures could include staff redundancies, player salary cuts and the axing of junior teams.
But the $500,000 loan will maintain the status quo over the short-term, as will a bonus from major sponsor LG and NRL prizemoney for finishing in the top four last season.

"We have got PKF in at the moment - they are doing a review of both the football club and the leagues club and St George Bank is supportive of that," Pierce said.
"I want to stress that we've got the full support of the bank - they've been behind us for 18 years."
Despite receiving a $1.5 million licensed club grant and finishing equal first in the minor premiership, the football club is still expected to record a $500,000 loss for 2008.
Pierce was involved when Cronulla flirted with insolvency during the early '90s, and suggested the current climate was even tougher for Sydney-based clubs. "It was hard times 15 years ago, but we didn't have smoking bans and gaming taxes to contend with back then," he said.
On the positive side, Cronulla have retained all their sponsors for 2009 and will earn big money from the South Australian government for transferring a home game to Adelaide.
The leagues club is also sweating on offers from two builders interested in building a nursing home and retail complex in land surrounding the club.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24647225-5006066,00.html

:lol:

The Dodger

First Grade

But unlike some other NRL clubs (such as the merged scum), Zappia did not believe cutting funding to junior teams was the answer to Cronulla's financial woes.

"Junior rep teams are certainly part of the livelihood and future of our club. More importantly, the Cronulla Sharks were set up to propagate the game of rugby league and we need to ensure that continues to happen in the future."

Squae

Juniors
wateva buddy, at least we have a club, and not 50% of a merged one, tell your story walking!!!! :D:D:D

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So the Sharks have taken out a 500k loan to help pay for the monumental f**k up suspending Greg Bird.
If a component of an organisation in the real business world was responsible for such a monumental f**k up i.e suspending & not playing bird through the finals series, then they would pay for that with their jobs/positions.
When are they going to man up & say "yeah, we f*cked up, & it cost cost us extra revenue & exposure through the finals, & will cost us over 500k in legals & payouts when we sack him"

samshark

Juniors
So the Sharks have taken out a 500k loan to help pay for the monumental f**k up suspending Greg Bird.
If a component of an organisation in the real business world was responsible for such a monumental f**k up i.e suspending & not playing bird through the finals series, then they would pay for that with their jobs/positions.
When are they going to man up & say "yeah, we f*cked up, & it cost cost us extra revenue & exposure through the finals, & will cost us over 500k in legals & payouts when we sack him"

I think Ive asked you this before Reefy but cant remember your answer but is the club/CEO/Barry aware of your thoughts and can I ask what sort of response you got.

FTR I mostly agree with what you say except for the legals and pay out. I am not sure that will occur if he is sacked. Anyway, I am still hoping for a happy ending to all this and for what its worth I plan to fight the cause with a soon Dear Barry letter. I have a bit of interesting info that I plan to use but I have to be careful how its delivered, if you know what I mean.

Inferno

Coach

Why are you linking the loan with suspending Bird?

As far as I am aware they haven't given him a raise, so they are only paying him what he would be earning had this incident never occurred.

If they do sack him and a faced with legal action, I do think some questions will need to be asked of the board though.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I think Ive asked you this before Reefy but cant remember your answer but is the club/CEO/Barry aware of your thoughts and can I ask what sort of response you got.

FTR I mostly agree with what you say except for the legals and pay out. I am not sure that will occur if he is sacked. Anyway, I am still hoping for a happy ending to all this and for what its worth I plan to fight the cause with a soon Dear Barry letter. I have a bit of interesting info that I plan to use but I have to be careful how its delivered, if you know what I mean.

No I haven't "written a letter". yet.

My outside/inside info is Bird is gone along with the charges.
Will be interesting to see which comes first mr Samshark.

cityshark

Juniors
Who says he will be sacked? He may not be , and could well be in the starting side round one , with his girlfriend cheering him on. A reformed man.

Latest posts