What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla to Perth

Woolooware-Bay-Town-Centre-Stage-1.jpg

That's all well n good and guarantees the survival of the club which is great. It doesn't guarantee TPA's which is what T-Boon was on about.

T-Boon

Coach
no club should ever have a higher salary cap than another club

I disagree.
The whole idea of the salary cap is artificial management from top down. So why not go to this step for the greater good. It is already unfair as hell with imbalance of TPA's.

T-Boon

Coach

The clubs are selfish and short sighted. Its the mentality of our clubs and unfortunately they have more power with the NRL than they should. We would already have a team in Perth and a second Brisbane team but the clubs attitude to that is "whats in that for me?" "that will cost money that could otherwise be split between us", "thats going to effect the NRL's capacity to bail me out of trouble next year". Thats why they helped News Ltd get rid of Smith. He strutted around in a tie like some sort of ambitious business man and had big ideas like expansion. How terrifying.

They are also small minded wanting to play in the burbs to appease their 10,000 keen fans. Losers. The next Sydney club that goes tits up I am going to celebrate.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Yes, why isn't Cronulla thinking about the poor 9000 Perth fans love of the game. It is their social responsibility after all, not the NRL's.

T-Boon

Coach
Yes, why isn't Cronulla thinking about the poor 9000 Perth fans love of the game. It is their social responsibility after all, not the NRL's.

they can have the 10k Cronulla fans and the potential 1 mill Adelaide fans.

no name

Coach
The clubs are selfish and short sighted. Its the mentality of our clubs and unfortunately they have more power with the NRL than they should. We would already have a team in Perth and a second Brisbane team but the clubs attitude to that is "whats in that for me?" "that will cost money that could otherwise be split between us", "thats going to effect the NRL's capacity to bail me out of trouble next year". Thats why they helped News Ltd get rid of Smith. He strutted around in a tie like some sort of ambitious business man and had big ideas like expansion. How terrifying.

They are also small minded wanting to play in the burbs to appease their 10,000 keen fans. Losers. The next Sydney club that goes tits up I am going to celebrate.
We had that until the Bronco's had a cry.
Sydney teams would have died a natural unmerged death if it weren't for Super League.

myrrh ken

First Grade
they can have the 10k Cronulla fans and the potential 1 mill Adelaide fans.

You actually expect Cronulla to establish an Adelaide fan base so the NRL can then set up a team there? Or Cronulla to voluntarily relocate there? Wow.

T-Boon

Coach
You actually expect Cronulla to establish an Adelaide fan base so the NRL can then set up a team there? Or Cronulla to voluntarily relocate there? Wow.

Well yeah. Cronulla to relocate but also keep roots in the Shire (NRL guarantee 4 games there or so) . Why not? Its like, I don't know, ambitious or something...Like St Loius Rams to Los Angeles Rams.

How hard is it to think big is the dumb f**k sport of ours?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Why not? Because we've got a stadium and infrastructure that's already paid for, we have an established fan base, we are financially secure, we have just tasted success and moving away is risky and will cost'a lot of money specially if we do it on our own?

Didnt the rams move from LA to St Louis and back again?

taipan

Referee
Well yeah. Cronulla to relocate but also keep roots in the Shire (NRL guarantee 4 games there or so) . Why not? Its like, I don't know, ambitious or something...Like St Loius Rams to Los Angeles Rams.

How hard is it to think big is the dumb f**k sport of ours?

Tell him .he's dreaming.
There is nothing wrong in thinking big.There is something wrong in thinking big, by wasting money and losing fans such as happened with Nth Sydney supporters.

Already companies including one International want to get involved with Cronulla.plans for expansion of the ground capacity.
If you believe having a club which is totally community backed,will continue with that support if 4 games are played in Adelaide,when the Rams could barely crack the crowds .
Expansion clubs,should be localised built from the ground up,with local companies and local support.

The only dumb thing is not checking what joint ventures,relocations and mixing venues does for support,SFA.

The Sharks have set themselves up now to be a financially strong and well supported club by fans and business alike.Only they should decide whether they play here, there or everywhere,because now they can.

T-Boon

Coach
Tell him .he's dreaming.

Already companies including one International want to get involved with Cronulla.plans for expansion of the ground capacity.

Ok, you win. I am not being sarcastic.

But why would you expand the ground capacity?

Cronulla crowds will always max out at about 18k on a great season. On a bad season they are a 10k max crowd. On an average season probably 12k.

Spend money on making it comfortable, not big.

taipan

Referee
Ok, you win. I am not being sarcastic.

But why would you expand the ground capacity?

Cronulla crowds will always max out at about 18k on a great season. On a bad season they are a 10k max crowd. On an average season probably 12k.

Spend money on making it comfortable, not big.

You understand there is a limitation on seating currently under cover.The more cover the better chance of crowds.Bearing in mind there is underlying support for the club,50 years of frustration bubbled to the surface with the huge number of Shark's fans and no doubt bandwaggoners on deck.

Shark's crowds have always been affected by lack of cover and seating under cover.That also covers the comfort angle .In fact you may also attract more visitors to a game.
The ground is chocko when they announce 18,000,with people standing on the hill.

25,000 capacity with plenty of seating under cover,is not too much to ask for an NRL club.Bit like the Tit's ground capacity wise.
I also understand the club will have little problem flogging seating next season.

T-Boon

Coach
25,000 capacity with plenty of seating under cover,is not too much to ask for an NRL club.Bit like the Tit's ground capacity wise.
I also understand the club will have little problem flogging seating next season.

I'd save bit of money and go with a 20k stadium. Nobody is travelling to Cronulla for the same reason Cronulla fans don't want to take games to ANZ - its a bitch to get there.
No Sydney team is getting 20 plus crowds unless its at ANZ with two home teams playing against one another both kicking arse at the same time.

siv

First Grade

Wonder how long until the main ground gets redeveloped into appartments as well ?

Developers have their eye on the whole site

Not just the junior playing fields

More surprised council are letting their allocated sported venue to be rezoned

taipan

Referee
I'd save bit of money and go with a 20k stadium. Nobody is travelling to Cronulla for the same reason Cronulla fans don't want to take games to ANZ - its a bitch to get there.
No Sydney team is getting 20 plus crowds unless its at ANZ with two home teams playing against one another both kicking arse at the same time.

taipan

Referee
No Sydney suburban ground caters currently seat wise for 20-25,000.Yes they could squeeze them in,but why be a peak hour train.
Perhaps if they did,the crowds would jump accordingly.
Hills are Ok for families on a fine sunny day,but a bitch when it scold ,windy and or rainy.

Think outsider the square,if you believe in your product,you flog it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, the NRl should bring in some min standards for grounds like they did in EPl after the European fan disasters. Clubs moaned and said it would send them broke but here they are now 25 years later in a multitude of state of the art stadiums.
Min 25k capacity with min 18k seating undercover should be the target. You wont grow crowds above 15-16k in a stadium with only 12k covered seats.

Where Cronulla are going to find the needed $80-100mill from to build two new stands is another question. Do they have another block they can sell off?