What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Figures this year

RaidersMalt

Juniors
In the Australian today, there was an article about the crowd figures this year.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10336226-23214,00.html

There was a paragraph on the raiders:

Canberra also had a significant drop of 19.2 per cent, but chief executive Simon Hawkins said: "It doesn't hurt our bottom line as much as other clubs because we have a revenue share arrangement with the stadium. So we don't get to keep all the money anyway if it is sold out."

Is it just me or does it seem that Simon Hawkins cares more about the bottom line than the future of this club? I have said that for a while now, but comments like that add more fuel to the fire. Surely a big drop off is a problem considering we were top 4 last year and have been in the 8 most of this year. Pull your head out Hawkins and start looking at why Canberra fans are turning away in droves!!

Raider Azz

Bench
Waits for Bay56 to reply with "see, I am right... more FACTS here"

I do agree, though. That is a little worrying.

skeepe

Immortal
I find you need to take all quotes with a grain of salt. How do we know that Hawkins didn't say more to them that wasn't included in that report? I find it's a dangerous game to try and find people's motives based on a newspaper report.

jed

First Grade
That's a very good point skeepe - when approached by a journalist, no-one ever gives just a 2 sentence response.

woodgers

Bench
No, Malt is right. Hawkins is a tit and cannot run a fun run let alone a footy club. Surely he has to be removed. I can't see how he keeps his job. Even last year when we were doing well we couldn't get numbers to games. Man this guy bugs me. So he is saying he doesn't care if the players get big support and numbers watching them and pushing the side to victory because we don't make that much more profit? For the love of god. Is there anything he is good at or is he living proof that anyone with the appropriate paperwork can get a top job at a large organisation?

Monkeys on Typewriters........

Raider Ultra

Bench
Can anyone remember the last game we cracked 11 000? I think it was the Eels game. I can't see us getting half decent crowds to the Storm or Roosters either. Canberra sporting fans are infuriating, turncoat b*stards.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
last year when we cracked 19000 against the dogs in Canberra, that was great. I wish it was like that more often. But the 8000 die hards against the warriors made alot of noise too.

Edwahu

Bench
Roosters will be a good crowd I reckon. People come to watch Fittler (and heckle Finchy :) ) . Dont think it will match the 22000 we got last year though.

woodgers

Bench
Can anyone remember the last game we cracked 11 000? I think it was the Eels game. I can't see us getting half decent crowds to the Storm or Roosters either. Canberra sporting fans are infuriating, turncoat b*stards.
That may well be but it is Hawkins & co who are supposed to make it attractive to the general public to go out and spend the money. Most people have nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon, so if the marketing is right and the incentive is there, they should get numbers. Why not market to Uni students across the road to come to the footy for the Saturday night games and have a few beers before heading out on the town? Maybe the Raiders can subside the drinks or tickets slightly? Anything. They just don't try and Hawkins comments above back that up. It appears to me the time and money he should be putting into these things he is spending on the phone to the UK talking to the over 30's club.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
We've had some pretty ordinary teams down here though. Brisbane and Penrith being the only decent ones. We haven't had The Bulldogs, Roosters, Melbourne or St George down here this year.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
if they dont get all the money then why not offer schools free tickets? get them interested in comming down..i know its lame

It's not lame. I remember when McDonalds (here where I live) would give a free general admin ticket to a Dragons game. I would go then go to the game. (hey it's free). But little things like that, get people to go to the footy, and once you get a taste of it, you always want to go back for more.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
back in highschool we would get given free tickets to attend different games...more then half were from the bulldogs and the thing is i live in campbelltown lol...

thickos

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:
if they dont get all the money then why not offer schools free tickets? get them interested in comming down..i know its lame

It's not lame. I remember when McDonalds (here where I live) would give a free general admin ticket to a Dragons game. I would go then go to the game. (hey it's free). But little things like that, get people to go to the footy, and once you get a taste of it, you always want to go back for more.

The Maccas, or the footy? :oops:

jed

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:

They used to do the same thing in Melbourne when I was in primary school with VFL (AFL) tickets, it used to get us to go along to the games.

Definitely if it's against a top side, don't hand out many freebies, but if we're talking about a manly or tigpies game, by all means get them hooked whilst they're young.

Edwahu

Bench
They have given away a fair few tickets with a Milk cap promotion in Canberra. They gave away stacks this way last year.

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_Azz said:
Waits for Bay56 to reply with "see, I am right... more FACTS here"

I do agree, though. That is a little worrying.

see, I am right... more FACTS here :lol: :lol:

ohh boy, crack me up Raider Azz ... by the way have you seen Shrek ??