What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 24 2024 - General Non-Warriors thread

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think Penrith are cruising a little - but fmd, you add Crichton, Burton, Leniu, the strike of Kikau and Api back, and wow... salary cap bites on some (they've missed Api much less than I thought they might - with the later JFH call losing Leniu was unfortunate)
Yeah without a cap, and not bringing in from outside, you might start talking about a run like the Dragons had in the 60s

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd much rather a four-peat than Melbourne winning, but something tells me this Storm team is cherry ripe to put their foot on Penrith's throat in a GF.

I still think the Roosters will have something to say about it all, too, although I will grant that they don't play the tough, uncompromising footy that wins premierships, and that Melbourne/Penrith have as a default.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I'd much rather a four-peat than Melbourne winning, but something tells me this Storm team is cherry ripe to put their foot on Penrith's throat in a GF.

I still think the Roosters will have something to say about it all, too, although I will grant that they don't play the tough, uncompromising footy that wins premierships, and that Melbourne/Penrith have as a default.
How good would JWH/Collins v JFH/Leota be in a GF, with lenui entering after 20mins. Someone probably sits down lol

Leota was immense in the opener a couple of years ago, but I will never forget Martin Lang in 2003 repeatedly running it straight and repeatedly getting absolutely destroyed by Morley and Co. Gee he was great to watch, Nathan Brown a bit of a throwback to him this year

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
How good would JWH/Collins v JFH/Leota be in a GF, with lenui entering after 20mins. Someone probably sits down lol

Leota was immense in the opener a couple of years ago, but I will never forget Martin Lang in 2003 repeatedly running it straight and repeatedly getting absolutely destroyed by Morley and Co. Gee he was great to watch, Nathan Brown a bit of a throwback to him this year
Leota is one of the most underrated players in the NRL, at least in terms of the press. Penrith fans know

yeh, that was soft as butter. Theres less than a second between the ball being released and the tackle. I dont think the human body would be able to react in time. But seriously, that penalty before halftime was a joke. Why is that a penalty and people being offside when they tap isnt? They always make them re tap.
And this is the NRL's BEST ref.....

i know alot of people cant stand NFL because its too long and too stop-start, but sometimes i think the NFLs version of officiating (even though slower) is better:
Where anyone can throw a flag(s) during the play (yes you touchie, you can actually f**king contribute to the game). Once the play ends, they all come together for a chat (usually 7 on field officials plus one in charge of replay review), and either:
Penalise the team;
or if theres a flag on both teams, they cancel each other out and restart from where the game stopped;
or pick the flag up if they all decide theres no foul.

They have a bunker but they rarely use it.

7 +1 officials for 11 vs 11 on the field. vs 3 +1 for 13 v 13.

Having said that, sometimes the NFL officials get it completely wrong too.

So whats your preference? Faster game with less accuracy. Slower game with more accuracy.
Penalty at halftime was a downtown penalty.
Winger was 3m offside.

I enjoy NFL and their officials have so much more time. I appreciate refs can't see everything, touchies seem to see nothing and the bunker, well who knows what they see sometimes. But most enjoy the faster game of league that watch it.

Blair

Coach
Shirt of one of the darts players last night

View attachment 92587
I remember a British commentator from when I was a kid ('70s/80s) going 'One hundred and eighty!' in a northern English accent. Darts was quite big on TVNZ.

Sport On One was the name of the general program on Saturday afternoons. Before your time but there was a famous intro that I can't find online. Fast-paced music cut to some iconic sport of the time. I particularly remember Roberto Duran giving it to Leonard, after the final bell in their first fight in Montreal.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I remember a British commentator from when I was a kid ('70s/80s) going 'One hundred and eighty!' in a northern English accent. Darts was quite big on TVNZ.

Sport On One was the name of the general program on Saturday afternoons. Before your time but there was a famous intro that I can't find online. Fast-paced music cut to some iconic sport of the time. I particularly remember Roberto Duran giving it to Leonard, after the final bell in their first fight in Montreal.
Am guessing that would have been Sid Waddell and the Bullseye programme

Big Marn

Bench

heres the theme Blair.

One Hoondred and eighhhteee! in that accent is etched in my brain for all time.

Big Marn

Bench
Am guessing that would have been Sid Waddell and the Bullseye programme
im guessing we 3 are from a similar generation but i couldnt recall the name of the darts show at all. I remember On The Mat with Ernie Leonard and Steve Rickard, Pot Black with ?? Lowe?, and Sport on One with Glyn Tucker, and there was a motor show with Tony ??

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
im guessing we 3 are from a similar generation but i couldnt recall the name of the darts show at all. I remember On The Mat with Ernie Leonard and Steve Rickard, Pot Black with ?? Lowe?, and Sport on One with Glyn Tucker, and there was a motor show with Tony ??
Went to the wrestling as a kid, King Curtis was terrifying lmao

was it Tony Palmer? Think he used to call league too? I always remember that hill climb rally - Trevor Crowe with a V8 stuck in a Toyota Starlet - my dad thought that was brilliant

Last edited:

Latest posts