What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarency

Juniors
Yes of course... A city with over a million people isn't worth it.

Thank god your opinions don't matter.

M2D2

Bench
Don't think there's many teams who wouldn't love Sunday games...

Saturday's are always shit.
Oh i agree.
Problem is Cronulla is usually cold and/or wet. People dont rock up due to it.
Was very cold tonight.

DC_fan

Coach
Yes of course... A city with over a million people isn't worth it.

Thank god your opinions don't matter.

A city of Adelaides size can attract only 9,000 fans to a game. While a few weeks back Perth who had very poor weather pulled a crowd of 15,000.

The game played in Adelaide last year drew 10,000. In 2009 it was 8,000.

The people of Adelaide are showing with thier lack pf patronage what they think of the NRL.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Adelaide crowd was only slightly down on last year. Looked a lot different on TV though because everyone was sitting in the new stand behind the camera.

I agree we don't really need a team in Adelaide, at least not in the foreseeable future. Perth, Brisbane, CC & NZ all come first IMO.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I read somewhere that Adelaide and SA in general has the oldest population in the country, so from a demographic POV it isn't too appealing either. We are probably 20 years from a side in Adelaide.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Adelaide crowd slightly down on last year with rain a factor probably. Solid given there'd be little promotion and in a town that has little passion for RL. That's my take. Bit harsh on Adelaide to say they hate RL...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Probably more people watching more RL in Adelaide tonight than there was watching the Phuns at the Gold Coast. The crowd wasn't that bad considering the weather.

clarency

Juniors
user_nat: swing and a miss.

DC:
A city of Adelaides size can attract only 9,000 fans to a game.

Applicable to every Sydney team. Funny that.

Crowd figure is reflective of their poor coverage, poor sport participation, poor facilities, infrastructure with next to no investment. What figure were you expecting exactly?

Nothing has been done in that state and everyone has thrown their hands in the air "Lordy lordy what ever are we going to do!?!".

SA is a new market. That involves actually doing things to be successful. You don't just show up and expect everyone to rush at your feet groveling.

Scarves

Juniors
Baton down those hatches... the rugby league fans of Adelaide are coming, they're like a juggernaught, they can't be stopped and won't be stopped.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
OT but apparently there were 16,488 at the Suns game tonight. That like all of their games this year is a lie. I have had a look at all of their home games so far, capacity is 25k on the nose and it has not been close to half full at the last 3 v North melbourne, bulldogs and sydney. They are inflating the figures to score cheap points in the media on the GC. Enraging that is.

BDGS

Bench
Good crowd in Adelaide, rain all day in Adelaide and only down by about 300. I remember about five years ago people were saying that Perth isn't worth it, that changed and so will SA. If we cracked Melvourne we will crack Adelaide. Hope we take two games there next year and hopefully no rain.

undertaker

Coach
OT but apparently there were 16,488 at the Suns game tonight. That like all of their games this year is a lie. I have had a look at all of their home games so far, capacity is 25k on the nose and it has not been close to half full at the last 3 v North melbourne, bulldogs and sydney. They are inflating the figures to score cheap points in the media on the GC. Enraging that is.

Correct. Watched a small snipped of the Suns/Swans game, and when the camera panned over to the angle where it was facing towards the grandstands, plenty of empty gaps could be seen. No way was that ground 65% full, as that 16488 attendance figure suggests.

wain

Juniors
Ok, time to log in for my yearly post...even though Im on this site daily.

It does my head in that people so easily can turn their back on 1 of 5 key Aus cities due to a small crowd in SA tonight.
Im disappointed that tonight was sub 10,000, but yet was only 400 less than Cronulla got - and they have a local team. The only tv ad I saw was played during Origin (which we got at 8.30). There were some good ads in the paper and a few lead-up stories...but all this would have only really assured the core followers would follow up. nothing to make random onlookers want to check it out. Weather has been cold and wet all week, shouldnt be an excuse for hard core followers, but not real ideal to get newbies to come out and check it out. School holidays have also just started and also, Adelaide Oval is amazing, but sucks for rectangle sports.

Ive lived in Adelaide for 15 years, and the media and people here are so insular when it comes to AFL...puts Melbourne to shame. Sadly, for heaps of locals, they almost do have a hate of NRL...not especially for any reason apart from the way the media perceives it. Ive had people spout the whole line to me that they wouldnt let their kids play league becuase of what the players get up to.

Like I said, I think the crowds over the last few years have shown that 10,000 is around that core group size. Without really spending money on promoting the sport, it doesnt surprise me that that is the crowd that will rock up. dont expect it to increase while the status quo remains.

Im realistic, Adelaide is still a while off getting our own team. No way should Adelaide get a team before some of the other bids out there. I think in the meantime, time and cash needs to be spent on 1)positive media...pains me to say, like AFL do in eastern states. The other big need is 2) schools...NRL needs to realise the importance of juniors and schools in particular.

Im sports coordinator/teacher at a primary school and am constantly pushed by AFL to promote their events...they even offered to install permanent aussie rules posts for free becuase it 'looks good' that people see the posts up. No doubt, thats where the posts in Western Sydney have come from. While AFL do lots of things well, the one thing I would disagree with the AFL on is the whole 'let's make the game safe because mum makes the decision on what sport Johnny will play'. Maybe 20 years ago, but now...in my classroom, mum pretty much lets Johnny do whatever he wants, because mum lets Johnny make the rules and not her. And school is by far the most influential power. I came to the school 6 years ago and introduced touch football to the kids. Every year, I run a touch tournament at lunch which now has 7 teams in it! 50(out of about 80) odd kids playing touch yet we have to combine with another school for our aussie rules team to make enough numbers. I now play in a social touch team with 4 ex-students...years after introducing them to the sport. Thats the power of school.

Anyway, rant over.

It does my head in that people so easily can turn their back on 1 of 5 key Aus cities due to a small crowd in SA tonight.
Im disappointed that tonight was sub 10,000, but yet was only 400 less than Cronulla got - and they have a local team. The only tv ad I saw was played during Origin (which we got at 8.30). There were some good ads in the paper and a few lead-up stories...but all this would have only really assured the core followers would follow up. nothing to make random onlookers want to check it out. Weather has been cold and wet all week, shouldnt be an excuse for hard core followers, but not real ideal to get newbies to come out and check it out. School holidays have also just started and also, Adelaide Oval is amazing, but sucks for rectangle sports.

Ive lived in Adelaide for 15 years, and the media and people here are so insular when it comes to AFL...puts Melbourne to shame. Sadly, for heaps of locals, they almost do have a hate of NRL...not especially for any reason apart from the way the media perceives it. Ive had people spout the whole line to me that they wouldnt let their kids play league becuase of what the players get up to.

Like I said, I think the crowds over the last few years have shown that 10,000 is around that core group size. Without really spending money on promoting the sport, it doesnt surprise me that that is the crowd that will rock up. dont expect it to increase while the status quo remains.

Im realistic, Adelaide is still a while off getting our own team. No way should Adelaide get a team before some of the other bids out there. I think in the meantime, time and cash needs to be spent on 1)positive media...pains me to say, like AFL do in eastern states. The other big need is 2) schools...NRL needs to realise the importance of juniors and schools in particular.

Im sports coordinator/teacher at a primary school and am constantly pushed by AFL to promote their events...they even offered to install permanent aussie rules posts for free becuase it 'looks good' that people see the posts up. No doubt, thats where the posts in Western Sydney have come from. While AFL do lots of things well, the one thing I would disagree with the AFL on is the whole 'let's make the game safe because mum makes the decision on what sport Johnny will play'. Maybe 20 years ago, but now...in my classroom, mum pretty much lets Johnny do whatever he wants, because mum lets Johnny make the rules and not her. And school is by far the most influential power. I came to the school 6 years ago and introduced touch football to the kids. Every year, I run a touch tournament at lunch which now has 7 teams in it! 50(out of about 80) odd kids playing touch yet we have to combine with another school for our aussie rules team to make enough numbers. I now play in a social touch team with 4 ex-students...years after introducing them to the sport. Thats the power of school.

Anyway, rant over.

100% right about the schools & kids. You've gotta get them when they're young, we've got to look at generational change

ForestDragon

Juniors

Anyway, rant over.

100% agreed,the NRL needs to invest time and interest at grass root levels and give us 3 games a year and the crowds will grow..

DC_fan

Coach
Adelaide crowd slightly down on last year with rain a factor probably. Solid given there'd be little promotion and in a town that has little passion for RL. That's my take. Bit harsh on Adelaide to say they hate RL...

Timmah. Rain may have been a factor. But a severe storm didn't stop 15,000 fans showing up for a game in Perth.

For me the Dogs play there for the money and they don't care how many people show up. The fact that there is little if any promotion for the game there I believe supports this.

The interesting thing is that according to the ratings 65,000 people watched the SOO on Wednesday night in Adelaide. Now you would think those numbers would mean a bigger crowd last night then what they got. What I think it shows is that while people in Adelaide maybe interested in the occassion of State of Origin they are not interested in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.