What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Ok, time to log in for my yearly post...even though Im on this site daily.

It does my head in that people so easily can turn their back on 1 of 5 key Aus cities due to a small crowd in SA tonight.
Im disappointed that tonight was sub 10,000, but yet was only 400 less than Cronulla got - and they have a local team. The only tv ad I saw was played during Origin (which we got at 8.30). There were some good ads in the paper and a few lead-up stories...but all this would have only really assured the core followers would follow up. nothing to make random onlookers want to check it out. Weather has been cold and wet all week, shouldnt be an excuse for hard core followers, but not real ideal to get newbies to come out and check it out. School holidays have also just started and also, Adelaide Oval is amazing, but sucks for rectangle sports.

Ive lived in Adelaide for 15 years, and the media and people here are so insular when it comes to AFL...puts Melbourne to shame. Sadly, for heaps of locals, they almost do have a hate of NRL...not especially for any reason apart from the way the media perceives it. Ive had people spout the whole line to me that they wouldnt let their kids play league becuase of what the players get up to.

Like I said, I think the crowds over the last few years have shown that 10,000 is around that core group size. Without really spending money on promoting the sport, it doesnt surprise me that that is the crowd that will rock up. dont expect it to increase while the status quo remains.

Im realistic, Adelaide is still a while off getting our own team. No way should Adelaide get a team before some of the other bids out there. I think in the meantime, time and cash needs to be spent on 1)positive media...pains me to say, like AFL do in eastern states. The other big need is 2) schools...NRL needs to realise the importance of juniors and schools in particular.

Im sports coordinator/teacher at a primary school and am constantly pushed by AFL to promote their events...they even offered to install permanent aussie rules posts for free becuase it 'looks good' that people see the posts up. No doubt, thats where the posts in Western Sydney have come from. While AFL do lots of things well, the one thing I would disagree with the AFL on is the whole 'let's make the game safe because mum makes the decision on what sport Johnny will play'. Maybe 20 years ago, but now...in my classroom, mum pretty much lets Johnny do whatever he wants, because mum lets Johnny make the rules and not her. And school is by far the most influential power. I came to the school 6 years ago and introduced touch football to the kids. Every year, I run a touch tournament at lunch which now has 7 teams in it! 50(out of about 80) odd kids playing touch yet we have to combine with another school for our aussie rules team to make enough numbers. I now play in a social touch team with 4 ex-students...years after introducing them to the sport. Thats the power of school.

Anyway, rant over.

yep ... the key is getting our game on prime time on FTA TV
even if it is a secondary digital channel

this WILL happen in 2013.. & the AFL pro merkins who lurk in nearly all of the TV stations in the Sthn States will no longer be able to control the exposure of our game down there they way they do now.
thats a start
in the meantime .. we keep going .. we keep turning up & begin the process of a foundation for a return fulltime
2018 at the earliest ... 2022 more likely

the Rams will return its not a matter of if ... but when.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Timmah. Rain may have been a factor. But a severe storm didn't stop 15,000 fans showing up for a game in Perth.

For me the Dogs play there for the money and they don't care how many people show up. The fact that there is little if any promotion for the game there I believe supports this.

The interesting thing is that according to the ratings 65,000 people watched the SOO on Wednesday night in Adelaide. Now you would think those numbers would mean a bigger crowd last night then what they got. What I think it shows is that while people in Adelaide maybe interested in the occassion of State of Origin they are not interested in the game.[/QUOTE]

Yet...........

Raiderdave

First Grade
now to get stuck into the " fans " in the Shire

your club is near deaths door financially
your club is playing well & are playing an opponent equally in form
your club needs you to attend games

its a clear night ... & your club has been very unlucky with the weather in recent years .. but not tonight

& what do you do
what do you do

you stay at home :shock::sarcasm:

you lot who sat on yr f@t @sses at home or elsewhere..do not deserve a team
if you continue your fickle .. inconsistent .. I'll turn up when I feel like it attitude ,you won't have a choice as to wether you have a team in the future
the Bears want in .... they want you lot gone
( as its the only way they'll get a start)... anymore woeful turnouts like last night & their case becomes stronger each time.:?

pick up your act Sharks fans
or its the way of Norths ... Wests ... Newtown & the Steelers for you :x

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Oh i agree.
Problem is Cronulla is usually cold and/or wet. People dont rock up due to it.
Was very cold tonight.

Was Very Cold :lol::lol::lol:

you lot ( anyone who doesn't live in Canberra ) wouldn't know cold if it bit you on the @ss

12c at Kickoff

thats balmy if you aren't a p.ussy
lame excuse
won't fly .. won't fly at all:x

docbrown

Coach
Anyway, rant over.

Feel free to rant. It's good to see that you're getting kids excited about sport and rugby league in particular.

I agree that Adelaide is towards the bottom of the list in terms of expansion but it's also inevitable that once Melbourne & Perth come into their own that the 'National' Rugby League will gain more traction with South Australians.

That goes hand in hand with local grassroots development, local media access/exposure and regular exhibition matches.

The NRL needs to look at subsidising junior tickets for teams who take games to potential expansion areas.

Frailty

First Grade
now to get stuck into the " fans " in the Shire

your club is near deaths door financially
your club is playing well & are playing an opponent equally in form
your club needs you to attend games

its a clear night ... & your club has been very unlucky with the weather in recent years .. but not tonight

& what do you do
what do you do

you stay at home :shock::sarcasm:

you lot who sat on yr f@t @sses at home or elsewhere..do not deserve a team
if you continue your fickle .. inconsistent .. I'll turn up when I feel like it attitude ,you won't have a choice as to wether you have a team in the future
the Bears want in .... they want you lot gone
( as its the only way they'll get a start)... anymore woeful turnouts like last night & their case becomes stronger each time.:?

pick up your act Sharks fans
or its the way of Norths ... Wests ... Newtown & the Steelers for you :x

Before this round - average crowds:

Cronulla 13861
Canberra 13064

f**k off and die.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Before this round - average crowds:

Cronulla 13861
Canberra 13064

f**k off and die.

ah , we have a lot more members then your club & we're not broke

oh & the highlighted bit
thats what the sharks will do if their " fickle " fans keep staying at home you peanut ;-)

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
It was a poor crowd at Cronulla.

Should have been 15k.

Remember the days when Shark Park was the place to be on Saturday evenings?

Raiderdave

First Grade

Should have been 15k.

& now their fans are saying its sunday arvos that they prefer

as if they've earnt the right to choose
their club is slowly dissapearing down the tiolet & they want a box to tick as to when they'll turn up :?:sarcasm::crazy:

Frailty

First Grade

Should have been 15k.

About ten years ago... Those same people now have families - Saturday nights aren't good game times for them.

Frailty

First Grade
ah , we have a lot more members then your club & we're not broke

oh & the highlighted bit
thats what the sharks will do if their " fickle " fans keep staying at home you peanut ;-)

A lot more members who don't show up?

The club isn't broke yet, and we have the development being judged under Part 3A.... When that is approved, you will have no ammunition you troll.

Brutus

Referee
About ten years ago... Those same people now have families - Saturday nights aren't good game times for them.

It was the mid 90's when Saturday nights at Shark Park were big.

No Super Saturday Pay TV back then either. People actually had to attend the games otherwise they wouldn't see it. I guess that's the big difference.

Raiderdave

First Grade
A lot more members who don't show up?

The club isn't broke yet, and we have the development being judged under Part 3A.... When that is approved, you will have no ammunition you troll.

you're not getting it are you
if you don't have money & your fans are also staying away
its a slippery slope to .. well...

we have only one of the above 2 issues :roll:

the development will be a long time in returning anything for the Sharks
its not even a given it will go ahead

get to games Shark fans
all of you ... to all of them ... that is all;-)

Frailty

First Grade

get to games Shark fans

You know absolutely nothing about the Sharks finances or the development...

The development will be pay as soon as it is approved with the developers paying off any debt of the Club... Guess what... THat means the club will be in a much better position than the Canberra Faiders...

Don't worry about our club - because we will be in a much better position than your rabble...

Given the crowd figures, perhaps you should concentrate on your own town rather than everybody else...

get to games Shark fans

You do realise for the NRL to stay strong all the teams have to stay strong; you obviously don't want the NRL to stay strong and viable; which is clearly shown in your whining that they are "broke"; Or are you just sad because they whipped your teams a** last night ? which one is it ?

BDGS

Bench
Ok, time to log in for my yearly post...even though Im on this site daily.

It does my head in that people so easily can turn their back on 1 of 5 key Aus cities due to a small crowd in SA tonight.
Im disappointed that tonight was sub 10,000, but yet was only 400 less than Cronulla got - and they have a local team. The only tv ad I saw was played during Origin (which we got at 8.30). There were some good ads in the paper and a few lead-up stories...but all this would have only really assured the core followers would follow up. nothing to make random onlookers want to check it out. Weather has been cold and wet all week, shouldnt be an excuse for hard core followers, but not real ideal to get newbies to come out and check it out. School holidays have also just started and also, Adelaide Oval is amazing, but sucks for rectangle sports.

Ive lived in Adelaide for 15 years, and the media and people here are so insular when it comes to AFL...puts Melbourne to shame. Sadly, for heaps of locals, they almost do have a hate of NRL...not especially for any reason apart from the way the media perceives it. Ive had people spout the whole line to me that they wouldnt let their kids play league becuase of what the players get up to.

Like I said, I think the crowds over the last few years have shown that 10,000 is around that core group size. Without really spending money on promoting the sport, it doesnt surprise me that that is the crowd that will rock up. dont expect it to increase while the status quo remains.

Im realistic, Adelaide is still a while off getting our own team. No way should Adelaide get a team before some of the other bids out there. I think in the meantime, time and cash needs to be spent on 1)positive media...pains me to say, like AFL do in eastern states. The other big need is 2) schools...NRL needs to realise the importance of juniors and schools in particular.

Im sports coordinator/teacher at a primary school and am constantly pushed by AFL to promote their events...they even offered to install permanent aussie rules posts for free becuase it 'looks good' that people see the posts up. No doubt, thats where the posts in Western Sydney have come from. While AFL do lots of things well, the one thing I would disagree with the AFL on is the whole 'let's make the game safe because mum makes the decision on what sport Johnny will play'. Maybe 20 years ago, but now...in my classroom, mum pretty much lets Johnny do whatever he wants, because mum lets Johnny make the rules and not her. And school is by far the most influential power. I came to the school 6 years ago and introduced touch football to the kids. Every year, I run a touch tournament at lunch which now has 7 teams in it! 50(out of about 80) odd kids playing touch yet we have to combine with another school for our aussie rules team to make enough numbers. I now play in a social touch team with 4 ex-students...years after introducing them to the sport. Thats the power of school.

Anyway, rant over.

Fantastic post, despite some posters on here i think the Bulldogs will continue to play games there as part of the NRL premiership. The bulldogs have made moves to make this event in future years and are even thinking about taking 2 games there next year.

If the NRL were going to drop Adelaide i don't think you would of seen the CEO over there in the last few weeks making sure that Rugby League can continued to be played at the venue.

On the TV, the crowd didn't look to bad in the chappell or that new stand.

Billythekid

First Grade

get to games Shark fans

Holy hell that loss must have hurt :(. I know it's tough when you realise your season is over but eventually you will accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.