What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wests v Easts should have been at ANZ.

The ARLC will see to it in the coming years.

There would've been 56,000 if the game were played at ANZ.

As strange as it sounds some WT fans like attending Leichhardt Oval. It's the perfect size for an opponent like the Roosters who doesn't bring much support. For bigger teams we have the SFS.

boxhead

First Grade
Your mob got less against Penrith. We showed up. There was thousands of us.

Including myself and Russell Crowe.

We outnumbered you.

I was actually at the ground, and it didn't look that way.
A mob of your fans was making the most noise of everyone, because the rest of the stadium was bored sh*tless.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
There would've been 56,000 if the game were played at ANZ.

As strange as it sounds some WT fans like attending Leichhardt Oval. It's the perfect size for an opponent like the Roosters who doesn't bring much support. For bigger teams we have the SFS.
You'd think you'd play Easts at SFS to attract as many of their fans as possible.

And it would still be your home game because you have twice the fans they do. But still. Easily would have got 25k at SFS.

And I understand people like attending Leichhardt. I've been to a game there once. I appreciate history more than most. But there are plenty of teams that you wouldn't get 20k+ at a big stadium. You can play them there as you do. But Easts are a team you could have attracted a few more to.

Brutus

Referee
Hypothetical time.

wests v easts @ leichhardt 20k plus
wests v easts @ anz 15k
wests v easts @ allianz 17k
Wests v easts @ campbelltown 16k

now

dragons v dogs @ the gong 16k
dragons v dogs @ kogarah 17k
dragons v dogs @ anz 30k

It's all about putting the right games on at the right grounds.

Wests v Easts shouldn't go anywhere near ANZ, whereas dragons v dogs should.

Last edited:
More like you and brutus need to be nailed... in the head... with a hammer.

Why the hell should the Dragons take their home game to our home ground ?:crazy:

It completely freezes out large parts of their supporter base whilst opening it up to ours, which is not fair considering its their team.

They would lose their home ground advantage which plays a big role for most teams, especially in regards to refereeing.

Same story every year, crowds have been static for years. Why do we act surprised?

I would love crowds to go up each year but the last five years have been a nightmare economically. When the gfc first hit there were predictions that rl would be the worst hit and all these clubs would fold. In reality we have maintained our crowds whilst adding a new team and mnf. All other codes including afl are down 10% or more since 2007

Spark Plug

Juniors
O

Why the hell should the Dragons take their home game to our home ground ?:crazy:

It completely freezes out large parts of their supporter base whilst opening it up to ours, which is not fair considering its their team.

They would lose their home ground advantage which plays a big role for most teams, especially in regards to refereeing.

Oh dear, you are a moron....
ANZ is a whore of a stadium, Souths play there, Parra and the Tigers play there at times as their 'home'....its hardly fortress Canterbury. And the dragons are arguably the most popular Sydney club with a wide supporter base

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
O

ANZ is a whore of a stadium, Souths play there, Parra and the Tigers play there at times as their 'home'....its hardly fortress Canterbury. And the dragons are arguably the most popular Sydney club with a wide supporter base
Souths relocated there about 5 or 6 years ago for reasons unknown, probably to make money. Parra play two games there against us and Souths (the other two teams which call it home) in order to get a better gate and make some money.

The Tigers left ANZ a number of years ago.

By contrast, the Bulldogs have played all bar 1 or 2 seasons at ANZ since 1999 - the year the place opened. I think if any team can lay claim to the stadium, it's the Bulldogs.

I'm not fussed as to whether it's ANZ or Allianz (even SCG) - I just think the Dragons are getting close to a point where they'll need to implement a model where they'll need to use a larger ground for marquee clashes like the Tigers do - 3 at ANZ or Allianz, 5 at Kogarah, 4 at Gong (reverse between Kog/Gong each year).

If our game's going to survive into the next decade (and moreover, traditional Sydney clubs), there needs to be a balance of big games being played at big venues, while maintaining tradition.

For the same reason I'm a strong believer that Belmore, once approved, should host 2 or 3 matches a season against low-drawing opposition, rather than us taking games to Brisbane or Mackay or Adelaide etc.

Actually you are...

ANZ is a whore of a stadium, Souths play there, Parra and the Tigers play there at times as their 'home'....

Souths play there permanently because they have no alternate ground(where they get such a good deal), the Tigers and Parramatta only play there when they are playing either of our teams. Those teams do this to maximise their game day income and both of these teams are situated close to ANZ in terms of geographical location.

its hardly fortress Canterbury.

If the Dragons played their home game at ANZ which is where we play the majority of our home games; then we would have more fans at the ground.

And the dragons are arguably the most popular Sydney club with a wide supporter base

The Bulldogs are the most supported team to play at ANZ, currently have the highest home attendance of every team in sydney and have the second highest home/away total of all teams in the NRL.

Unless you support the dragons you have no right to even speak, it's their damn home game, why should they play it at our home ground?

I'm not fussed as to whether it's ANZ or Allianz (even SCG) - I just think the Dragons are getting close to a point where they'll need to implement a model where they'll need to use a larger ground for marquee clashes like the Tigers do - 3 at ANZ or Allianz, 5 at Kogarah, 4 at Gong (reverse between Kog/Gong each year).

If our game's going to survive into the next decade (and moreover, traditional Sydney clubs), there needs to be a balance of big games being played at big venues, while maintaining tradition.

See Allianz would be ok because it is closer to there supporter base, but playing it at ANZ is a joke.

I do agree though, eventually we will have to move away from suburban grounds for teams like the Dragons and Tigers whose supporter base seems to be getting bigger.

For the same reason I'm a strong believer that Belmore, once approved, should host 2 or 3 matches a season against low-drawing opposition, rather than us taking games to Brisbane or Mackay or Adelaide etc

That would be pretty awesome, but I don't think it will happen; the main reasons we take our home games away is to increase our supporter base and the financial incentive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.