What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

Coach
How does 30k at anz grow the game? Zero atmosphere, still looks shit on tv. Shit house match day, only inflated by clubs giving away free tickets because 0 chance of a sell out.

But if you have teams showing they are willing to play a certain amount of games out of one stadium, it really increases the chances of having a purpose built stadium created.

Who knows, after GWS fails, they could rebuild that into a 40k rectangular stadium for those fixtures. Anything that's going to be bigger than that should be in ANZ.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dont see why saturday evening and night at a major stadium shouldn't be well attended. No work/school on the day or next day, really SNF has underacheived in terms of crowds.

I disagree on your sydney crowds comment. One club towns Canberra, Townsville and Gold coast are far from spectatular and if you look at the figures sydney crowds of recent years are picking up the slack from the regional clubs who seem to have tailed off a bit overall

Sydney is supposed to be the strength of the code+ the advantage of fans from both clubs being able to attend + population of Sydney should = big crowds.

Swamp

Juniors
I actually thought it looked a pretty decent crowd on TV. DO you really think a further 8000 could fit in? Sure the hill isn't that full but........

dragons__

Juniors
I actually thought it looked a pretty decent crowd on TV. DO you really think a further 8000 could fit in? Sure the hill isn't that full but........

I think all those flags did a good job of 'hiding' all the spaces between people on the hill. Stands were patchy also. But, I initially thought 14-15k

Raiderdave

First Grade
Have you Been to ANZ or the SFS. They have f**k all cover either.
Until there is a reason to go to the ANZ/SFS. There is no point taking the games away from their home grounds. False pretence of "growing the game" is a load of bullshit. Youre not growing the game, youre simply making it more standardised.

have you ?
ANZ stadium has 55,000 seats undercover
I have been to 4 wet grand finals ... sat past the drip line in the lower bowl & stayed bone dry for everyone of them :roll:

til we stop standing on grass hills for in some cases all of our games
we'll always be a backward sport
anyone who prefers this ... is also .. backward ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade
ANZ stadium holds 80,000 so 30,000 crowds look pretty pathetic in there, and the SFS provides no cover as demonstrated by the Roosters-Broncos '9000' crowd recently.

doesn't look any worse then 5K at a suburban ground

& all of those 9000 were undercover
the 2 top decks on either side providing another ... 15,000 under cover seats

seriously ... do you guys know anything about the stadiums in your own city ?:sarcasm:

lame excuses just seem to ooze from sydneysiders :lol::lol:

Frailty

First Grade
Up against the block and the voice, traffic and parking

Gee the nrl are smart guys.

God the NRL are stupid... They should have rescheduled the game to another day, even though it was schedules months back, because there were two shows on TV which are popular...

They should also force Manly to change grounds to somewhere that isn't in their territory.

Jerks.

Frailty

First Grade
doesn't look any worse then 5K at a suburban ground

& all of those 9000 were undercover
the 2 top decks on either side providing another ... 15,000 under cover seats

seriously ... do you guys know anything about the stadiums in your own city ?:sarcasm:

lame excuses just seem to ooze from sydneysiders :lol::lol:

I live in Melbourne.

I travelled up to Sydney and went to the Sharks game on Saturday in the pouring rain. It is not the first time I've done that to any game when I lived in Sydney. It isn't an excuse.

But your strawman argument is very unconvincing. When was the last time a team go 5000 at a Suburban ground?

The idea that because it would be played at a bigger ground, more people would come is absolute tripe, and the fact of the matter is that 15,000 at Parramatta Stadium, Toyota Park, Brookvale, etc. looks a lot better than 15,000 at ANZ.

Frailty

First Grade
But if you have teams showing they are willing to play a certain amount of games out of one stadium, it really increases the chances of having a purpose built stadium created.

Who knows, after GWS fails, they could rebuild that into a 40k rectangular stadium for those fixtures. Anything that's going to be bigger than that should be in ANZ.

It doesn't increase any chances of a purpose built stadium being built, because the government would then effectively make an even bigger white elephant out of ANZ than it already is now.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I live in Melbourne.

I travelled up to Sydney and went to the Sharks game on Saturday in the pouring rain. It is not the first time I've done that to any game when I lived in Sydney. It isn't an excuse.

But your strawman argument is very unconvincing. When was the last time a team go 5000 at a Suburban ground?

The idea that because it would be played at a bigger ground, more people would come is absolute tripe, and the fact of the matter is that 15,000 at Parramatta Stadium, Toyota Park, Brookvale, etc. looks a lot better than 15,000 at ANZ.

oh Really ?

Roosters at the old Sports ground 1957 to 1988
average crowd 9,037
at the SCG ..16,209
Roosters at the SFS 1988 to 2011
average crowd 12,451

Souths at Redfern ... 1957 to 1987
av 9,051
from 1975 to 1987 ... it was about 6,500
SCG 23,854
SFS 1988 to 2006 ..9964
ANZ 2006 to 2011 14,756

Bulldogs at Belmore 1957 to 1999
av 10,119
ANZ 1999-2011
av 19,075

just a few examples
seems they do come to bigger grounds in bigger numbers
Souths figures at Redfern are inflated by winning 4 premierships in that period
if they'd won 4 from 1988... there numbers at both the SFS & ANZ would be much larger
the Roosters .. who have no fans apparently .. found over 30% more by moving to a better facility
the Dogs have nearly doubled their average attendance of the last 13 years by doing the same

nah...
the only tripe here
is being peddled .. by you ;-)

Perth Red

Post Whore
stadium is just one issue amongst many that needs to be addressed for the NRL to get 30k to big games and 20k to other games. That should be the goal over the next 5-10 years. I do agree with RaiderDave though that if you fixed scheduled the big all Sydney club games for the teams with the decent support, market the hell out of them, get the ticket pricing right, play them at the best time of the week in the big stadia then that 30k should be a realistic goal.

Frailty

First Grade
oh Really ?

Roosters at the old Sports ground 1957 to 1988
average crowd 9,037
at the SCG ..16,209
Roosters at the SFS 1988 to 2011
average crowd 12,451

Souths at Redfern ... 1957 to 1987
av 9,051
from 1975 to 1987 ... it was about 6,500
SCG 23,854
SFS 1988 to 2006 ..9964
ANZ 2006 to 2011 14,756

Bulldogs at Belmore 1957 to 1999
av 10,119
ANZ 1999-2011
av 19,075

just a few examples
seems they do come to bigger grounds in bigger numbers
Souths figures at Redfern are inflated by winning 4 premierships in that period
if they'd won 4 from 1988... there numbers at both the SFS & ANZ would be much larger
the Roosters .. who have no fans apparently .. found over 30% more by moving to a better facility
the Dogs have nearly doubled their average attendance of the last 13 years by doing the same

nah...
the only tripe here
is being peddled .. by you ;-)

Wow, so you are comparing crowds from the 50s and 70s to the crowds today and attributing the increase in crowds to the stadium rather than the fact that the increases were seen across the board. You're statistics are nice, but you are failing to account for the context which those statistics take place.

On top of that, you list the SCG figures when they were clearly the 'game of the round' games which is something I've supported being reintroduced.

The funniest thing is with your Souths figure between the SFS and Homebush... That has nothing to do with record crowds since 2005 in the NRL as well as increased form from Souths...

But then again, you aren't one to go based on the reality of the situation.

firechild

First Grade
In 1970, Australia's population was about 12.5 million, it is now about 21.5 million. Surely that would be a significant contributing factor, along with the fact it is now much easier for fans to get to games (particularly away games)?

Sydney's population has doubled (1.9mill to 3.8mill) since 1955 (the closest number I could find to 1957).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would it work if the NRL had a Sydney game of the round played on a Friday night at ANZ and any full member of an NRL club got in for free? For the stadium the bar and food takings would offset loss of gate receipts and to see ANZ have 40k+ every week in it would be good for the game. If it was to be a fixed schedule event which 26 games would you schedule? NRL could organise the entertainmnet (and get someone who knows what they are doing!) Lots of stuff for the kids outside the ground, free sponsored give aways, great prizes up for grabs on the night, make it a real event/party type atmosphere each week. Make it a must attend thing to do on a Friday night.

Going to Suncorp I can see why Friday night is so popular and they draw the crowds, lots of great bars and restaurants walking down to the ground, great buzz around the ground, free stuff for the kids. Compared to my trip to ANZ a couple of weeks later where there was nothing on offer, get off the train walk to the ground, watch the game, go home. Chalk and cheese experiences.

H.H

Juniors
Would it work if the NRL had a Sydney game of the round played on a Friday night at ANZ and any full member of an NRL club got in for free? For the stadium the bar and food takings would offset loss of gate receipts and to see ANZ have 40k+ every week in it would be good for the game. If it was to be a fixed schedule event which 26 games would you schedule? NRL could organise the entertainmnet (and get someone who knows what they are doing!) Lots of stuff for the kids outside the ground, free sponsored give aways, great prizes up for grabs on the night, make it a real event/party type atmosphere each week. Make it a must attend thing to do on a Friday night.

Going to Suncorp I can see why Friday night is so popular and they draw the crowds, lots of great bars and restaurants walking down to the ground, great buzz around the ground, free stuff for the kids. Compared to my trip to ANZ a couple of weeks later where there was nothing on offer, get off the train walk to the ground, watch the game, go home. Chalk and cheese experiences.
Maybe.....maybe not, but I like your thinking.

Raider Dave has made some very good points too, despite copping it from 1 or 2 flat earthers....

No one wants to abandon the suburban gounds completely and I don't believe we will, but I firmly believe that the NRL needs a stadium policy for Sydney where teams with big rivalries play at appropriate venues on appropriate days.

Some good idea here and I'm sure the ARLC are thinking along these lines anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts