What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
12k was decent for a Monday night but in the future Cowboys should not host MNF. In particular, againist one of there bigger draws in the West Tigers we could of drew 15-18k on a Saturday night.

user_nat

Coach
I believe Brisbane have sold out week 1 Before

So dogs will beat 52000 ??

50387 against the Dragons in 2006 is the highest I believe.
Seems last years 45631 for Tigers/Dragons was the highest in Sydney for week 1.

Only going back to 98.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Round 20 :: Jul 20-23 (Rivalry Round #2)
Friday 20 July
Sea Eagles 12 lost to Bulldogs 20 @ Brookvale (Crowd: 16,820), 7:30pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Titans 14 def Broncos 10 @ Skilled (Crowd: 20,067), 7:30pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Saturday 21 July
Warriors 19 lost to Knights 24 @ Mt Smart (Crowd: 15,112), 5:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Eels 16 def Storm 10 @ Parramatta (Crowd: 9,029, 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Rabbitohs 36 def Dragons 14 @ ANZ (Crowd: 21,071), 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Sunday 22 July
Sharks 4 lost to Raiders 36 @ Toyota (Crowd: 12,139), 2:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Panthers 28 def Roosters 16 @ Centrebet (Crowd: 9,646), 3:00pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Monday 23 July
Cowboys 29 def Tigers 16 @ Dairy (Crowd: 12,357), 7:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Crowd total Round 20: 116,241
Crowd average Round 20: 14,530
Crowd total 2012 (144 games): 2,354,203
Crowd average 2012: 16,349

massively average round crowd wise
I don't think one game drew a crowd that could be considered ... good

after 20 rounds with 144 games played in 2011 we'd attracted 2,322,771 at an average of 16,130

so we're just ahead of last year
the final 6 rounds of 2011 attracted the following attendances

rnd 21 .... 128,498
rnd 22 .... 133,749
rnd 23 .... 112,079
rnd 24 .... 116,212
rnd 25 .... 135,712
rnd 26 .... 175,394

lets hope we get a wriggle on in the coming weeks

my crowds for rnd 21 , 2012

Dragons V Storm ... 13,000
Roost V Titans .... 9,000
Dogs V Cowboys ...18,000
Sharks V Pen ...12,000
Manly V Warriors ...20,000
Raiders V Knights ....10,000
Souths V Tigers ...... 30,000 ( surely we can get this???)
Brisb V Parra ........25,000

137,000 in total

putting us about 40K ahead of 2011.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
12k was decent for a Monday night but in the future Cowboys should not host MNF. In particular, againist one of there bigger draws in the West Tigers we could of drew 15-18k on a Saturday night.

when we go to a fixed schedule in 2013 ... I think all Monday nights have to be divied out evenly amongst the 15 Australian clubs

( NZ obviously can't host MNF )

I think theres 24 of them throughout the 26 rnd season
each aust club hosts 1 each & every year ... no exceptions
& 9 host another one .. this 2nd MNF game rotating among all 15 clubs so its shared around ova several seasons

common sense needs to prevail
the Raiders as an example need to get their games out of the way earlier in the season when its warmer
etc etc

beave

Coach
exactly, bias the draw so the Raiders home games are predominantly early in the season to try and enable decent crowds, and bias the Cowboys home games to be later in the season to try and avoid the wet season in March/April.

Raiderdave

First Grade
exactly, bias the draw so the Raiders home games are predominantly early in the season to try and enable decent crowds, and bias the Cowboys home games to be later in the season to try and avoid the wet season in March/April.

and one step further

if the MNF games are locked in
every club & the NRL should be promoting the bejesus out of them as soon as the draw is released ............. heavily discounted tickets.. ticketed members get a 10% discount on the following seasons membership if they bring a paying guest to that MNF game... competitions ... jumping castles ... face painting ... big corporate functions

for some clubs its just one game for the year
& their marketing arms need to go into over drive .... & not just give up on a decent crowd just because its a Monday Night.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Great idea if you know it's just 1 game a year you can really push it

I'd love to see the nrl get behind the clubs, with a 100k bonus if you can sell out a Monday night

Don't care how you do it. Just sell out a Monday night

Whats that we play at ANZ. Don't care Why did you schedule your 1 game at an 80k stad ??

Imagine mnf on ch 10 every week In a sold out ground

It would do wonders for the image.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
massively average round crowd wise
I don't think one game drew a crowd that could be considered ... good
I'd like to think a 16,820 crowd at Brookvale (nearly a sellout with a reduced capacity) would be considered "good".

(NZ obviously can't host MNF)
Why the hell not?

The NRL moved MNF to 5:30pm Monday on Queen's Birthday public holiday this year, give the Warriors that as an MNF home fixture. 7:30 their time, 5:30 ours. No worries at all.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Dragons V Storm 14k
Roosters V Titans 9.5k
Bulldogs V Cowboys 21k
Sharks V Penrith 12k
Manly V Warriors 15k
Canberra V Newcastle 9.5k
Souths V Tigers 30k
Broncos V Parra 24k

No idea what to expect in perth this week tbh. Anyone heard how tickets are selling?

Unfortunately our home crowd will be a disaster this week, i have heard heaps of ticket promotions on the radio but wont be expecting 10k+

Perth Red

Post Whore
No idea what to expect in perth this week tbh. Anyone heard how tickets are selling?

I've heard ticket sales are tracking for around a 17k crowd depending on walk ups.

Been disappointing they haven't really marketed the NZ connection given the Maori contingent in Perth but I guess as its a Manly home game they didn't want to be promoting the opposition?

bender

Juniors
Great idea if you know it's just 1 game a year you can really push it

I'd love to see the nrl get behind the clubs, with a 100k bonus if you can sell out a Monday night

Don't care how you do it. Just sell out a Monday night

Whats that we play at ANZ. Don't care Why did you schedule your 1 game at an 80k stad ??

Imagine mnf on ch 10 every week In a sold out ground

It would do wonders for the image.

I would like to see a lot of games taken on the road. I think the Monday night would get huge crowds (or at least acceptable crowds) if the games were played in non traditional places once a year. Perth, Adelaide, Cairns, Port Moresby, Wellington, Christchurch, Mackay, Toowoomba, Bathurst, Port Macquarie, Central Coast, Ipswich, Redcliffe, Darwin and quite a lot more country areas all stand out as areas who could host games and geet 10000 plus crowds which would actually be succesful for those areas and help promote the game immensely.

With say 1 game a month at the SFS stadium, i think all season ticket holders should get free entry, and maybe even a huge free ticket push could also see good crowds.

Panfas

Juniors
Why the hell not?

The NRL moved MNF to 5:30pm Monday on Queen's Birthday public holiday this year, give the Warriors that as an MNF home fixture. 7:30 their time, 5:30 ours. No worries at all.
I was just about to post the same thing. No club should be exempt from MNF.

When we expand there should be 18 rounds of MNF within the say first 22 rounds, one for each club scheduled at the begining of the year (some rounds without MNF like current schedule). The last 4 rounds (or however many floating rounds they schedule) will be MNF like it currently is and Fox/FTA can schedule whoever they like

Frailty

First Grade

That makes sense...

Give all other teams MNF... Why should the Cowboys have the disadvantage of being on an equal playing field with other teams?

No team draws well on a Monday Night... Doesn't mean one team should not be given Monday night games...

juro

Bench
Round 20 :: Jul 20-23 (Rivalry Round #2)
Friday 20 July
Sea Eagles 12 lost to Bulldogs 20 @ Brookvale (Crowd: 16,820), 7:30pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Titans 14 def Broncos 10 @ Skilled (Crowd: 20,067), 7:30pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Saturday 21 July
Warriors 19 lost to Knights 24 @ Mt Smart (Crowd: 15,112), 5:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Eels 16 def Storm 10 @ Parramatta (Crowd: 9,029, 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Rabbitohs 36 def Dragons 14 @ ANZ (Crowd: 21,071), 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Sunday 22 July
Sharks 4 lost to Raiders 36 @ Toyota (Crowd: 12,139), 2:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Panthers 28 def Roosters 16 @ Centrebet (Crowd: 9,646), 3:00pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Monday 23 July
Cowboys 29 def Tigers 16 @ Dairy (Crowd: 12,357), 7:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Crowd total Round 20: 116,241
Crowd average Round 20: 14,530

Crowd total 2012 (144 games): 2,354,203
Crowd average 2012: 16,349
Interesting that we have almost surpassed the 2002 full year crowd total already (2,355,183) despite having played 38 fewer matches. While crowds are growing slowly, they are definitely growing!

gronkathon

First Grade
That makes sense...

Give all other teams MNF... Why should the Cowboys have the disadvantage of being on an equal playing field with other teams?

No team draws well on a Monday Night... Doesn't mean one team should not be given Monday night games...

Cowboys are in a unique situation with the travel a great lump of their fanbase must do

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are Newcastle, Canberra not also in the same boat?

They seem to get the bulk of the MNF fixtures, particularly at home.

Frailty

First Grade
I'm sorry, but when I lived in Sydney I wasn't local to Cronulla, and would need to travel over an hour and a half to Cronulla. Making it impossible to make Monday night games unless I went straight from work.

EVERY team sees a drop in the crowd figures on Monday nights, so the issue isn't unique to the Cowboys at all.

If the league makes one exception for them, they need to do it for every team.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm sorry, but when I lived in Sydney I wasn't local to Cronulla, and would need to travel over an hour and a half to Cronulla. Making it impossible to make Monday night games unless I went straight from work.

EVERY team sees a drop in the crowd figures on Monday nights, so the issue isn't unique to the Cowboys at all.

If the league makes one exception for them, they need to do it for every team.

Yes of course it effects every team but it effects the cowboys more than anyone else. Also don't they mostly ask for Saturday nights? It's not as if they are trying to take all of the high rating timeslots.

Just out of interest is there any team that draws well on a Monday night? I would have thought it would be ok for the storm as it means less competition from AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts