What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xfactor1979

Bench
The Roosters should be the next team to merge with someone or leave the NRL in the next expansion push.

Their supporters (from the older generation) have all left Bondi and are all living on the Central Coast/ Gosford area

Xfactor1979

Bench
The Titans are in great form at the moment though
Theyve come from the clouds

Eastern Suburbs look to be history the way things are going

DC_fan

Coach
The commentators on the radio raised a good point, getting to Woolongong unless you live there on a Friday night would be a nightmare, you would cop peak hour from Sydney and Woolongong. I will say this, it is just dumb scheduling.

Good point and one for the games schedulers to remember for the future.

DC_fan

Coach
We seem to be always making excuses for small crowds.

It's raining. It's too cold. It's too hot. Its too windy. The game is on the wrong day or kickoff is too late or too early. I wasn't going to put up with all the traffic. The parking is terrible or too expensive. I have to change trains twice to get to the stadium or the trains are not running because of track work. I have a bit of a sniffle so I better stay home I don't want it to become pneumonia. My club is playing a team that doesn't interest me. I have Foxtel I will watch it on there. The kids are sick. The dog is sick. The car is sick. I need to paint the house. I am having sex with my partner.

Instead of making excuses for poor crowds why don't we just attend more games.

Australia likes to promote itself as a sports loving nation. I think we are to the extent we love to watch it on TV. Yes we love to attend the big events like state of origin and grand finals, but when it comes to our team playing a normal premiership game our enthusiasm wanes just a little. Even more so when we are playing an Unfashionable team.

Last edited:

DIOGENES

Juniors
Mate, you left out "the recession"

Despite all the negativity this year is still on track for the record. For mine expecting RL croeds to increase by 1 - 5 % per year seems reasonable. Expecting Easts v Titans to get 15 K seems unreasonable.

DC_fan

Coach
Mate, you left out "the recession"

Despite all the negativity this year is still on track for the record. For mine expecting RL croeds to increase by 1 - 5 % per year seems reasonable. Expecting Easts v Titans to get 15 K seems unreasonable.

NRL crowds this season are up around .4 percent on last year. But down about one percent on 2010.

We are doing better then the AFL. Their crowds are down 7.5 percent on last year.

We just need to find more ways to get people to attend games. But we are not the only sport in that boat. Sports around the world are suffering from that problem.

It really is too easy to sit home and watch it on TV.

Cletus

First Grade
NRL crowds this season are up around .4 percent on last year. But down about one percent on 2010.

We are doing better then the AFL. Their crowds are down 7.5 percent on last year.

We just need to find more ways to get people to attend games. But we are not the only sport in that boat. Sports around the world are suffering from that problem.

It really is too easy to sit home and watch it on TV.

Are the AFL crowds down on an aggregate or average basis?

It shocks me that our average this year has held up so well when there seem to be a lot of games that are below 10,000.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe with its new found wealth the ARLC can achieve something through better marketing and membership push. Maybe they can fund game day experiences at each ground to make it more enjoyable to attend a game?

Having said that it is clear there are some clubs that have a small fan base or limited appeal. I'd hate to think what avg some clubs would get if they didn't have the advantage of derby games and away fans to boost their numbers. When people are critical of crowds in auckland, Melbourne, Townsville etc we should remember they don't benefit from thousands of away fans boosting home club numbers.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Here's the result, of showing matches fetauring out of form home teams on a friday night

And this is with ch 9 having the choice...

NINE’S LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Nine

THE BIG BANG THEORY -RPT Nine

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not the answer, yet. Decent funding for clubs, decent funding for nrl marketing, better scheduling, cheaper tickets, more memberships. This needs to be the push for the next 5 years. If still drawing sub 10k after that investment then tough decisions need to be made.

DC_fan

Coach
Are the AFL crowds down on an aggregate or average basis?

It shocks me that our average this year has held up so well when there seem to be a lot of games that are below 10,000.

2012 4,673,252 (att) 32,453 (ave) -7.5 (percentage diff from previous year)
2011 6,525,071 (att) 34,893 (ave) -5.8 (percentage difference from previous season)

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

They are down on average. I did a quick calculation and find the percent is 7 percent not 7.5

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Rubbish crowd from the chooks. Probably to be expected, although i wont accept the accusations of fudging as we have went over the crowd in the members stand so many times before

Would have thought there would be more at the gong given they have a shiny new stand and only 6 games a year at the ground!

Dogs should get 20k against the cowboys and should be a cracker game

Status
Not open for further replies.