What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade
Warriors/Raiders/Cowboys/Titans all get better away support; with the exception of Raiders they have all been in the comp for a similar period of time or less than the Storm and they have never had consistant success or won a premiership (again, besides the Raiders). This isn't even including Brisbane to be fair. Given the Storm's success and the fact they have a support base of 4+ million people, a rise in crowd averages from 8k to 10k even in a new stadium is hardly impressive.

What the f*ck are you even talking about? You completely changed your argument. You said we should be able to get 20K every week, no team besides the broncos can do that so it's a rediculous expectation.

Your numbers are way off as well. We weren't averaging 8K in the old stadium and we will average a lot more than 10K this year (our smallest crowd so far is 11K).

The whole 4 million+ people argument is a joke. Do the dogs have 5 million fans to draw from? Or are we just going to pretend that the AFL don't exist here?

You also keep mentioning our success and new stadium but you dont think a little incident a couple of years back might not have had some impact?

You also seem to forget that unlike the warriors/titans/canberra/cowboys the storm have to contend with their being no FTA in Melbourne whatsoever. Even if the storm are successful good luck letting anyone in Melbourne know about it.

As the game gets more exposure down there the storms crowds will rise quickly. We should also wait until the end of the year before making final judgements.

azza29

Juniors
Well azza what do you think the Storm do about it because it's pathetic to see a champion team draw such crap figures, seriously if the Storm was on the eastern seaboard they be packing out the place.

I agree, they have an excellent stadium, ticket prices are very reasonable and the on-field form is nothing short of stellar. Should be seeing at least 15k each week.

Frankly the issue is awareness - most people down here know we have a decent team, but aren't familiar enough with the game to attend. And there is barely any league reporting in the Melbourne media, AFL absolutely saturates the newspapers.

The NRL need to do a better job of promoting the game in Victoria - at a grassroots level, in getting games on FTA, and (where possible) avoiding schedule clashes with major AFL games. Plenty of folks follow both codes but it's usually on a 'AFL comes first' basis.

DC_fan

Coach
Crowd comparison after R6 for 2007-12

Game average
2007 18,231
2008. 17,873
2009. 17,515
2010. 17,651
2011. 17,455
2012. 17,426

As you can see this season is still filling last spot in this period. Made up some ground on last season. We are just .2 percent behind.

docbrown

Coach
Crowd comparison after R6 for 2007-12

Game average
2007 18,231
2008. 17,873
2009. 17,515
2010. 17,651
2011. 17,455
2012. 17,426

As you can see this season is still filling last spot in this period. Made up some ground on last season. We are just .2 percent behind.

Well 2005 - the record average year - after 6 rounds was 17,639.

After round 7 in 2005 the average was 17,900 because Round 7 had a high average so to keep track 166,000 would be required - that's unlikely though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fixed the crowd error.

Official crowd was 11,478 according to NRLstats.com

DC_fan

Coach
Well 2005 - the record average year - after 6 rounds was 17,639.

After round 7 in 2005 the average was 17,900 because Round 7 had a high average so to keep track 166,000 would be required - that's unlikely though.

I quote the figures for 2007-12 because in that time we have had a 16 team competition. I usually quote total crowd figures. But in 2007 their was byes in R6 so to keep it accurate I have had to revert to crowd averages.

We are down a fair way on 2005, but even further down on 2007. Their is still along way to go, so with good weather and football we may catch up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The problem remains that nobody cares about league in Melbourne - regardless of form. The bandwagoners will only come to see the Broncos or Warriors play, and maybe finals. I reckon they'll get 13k max on Saturday.

lol, take out the away fans from other teams crowd avgs and 75% of teams are no different to Melbourne's attending fan base.

Maybe some decent promotion in Melbourne of the game plus grass roots development plus decent FTA covg will hopefully see the game become more popualr and the Storm's crowds grow accordingly.

Raiderdave

First Grade
14,255 at Brookvale :eek:

ah.....:sarcasm:

are they serious ?:lol::lol:

there was 18,000 there or I'll give it up
wasn't a spare space anywhere on the hill by the look of it

plenty give it to NRL clubs for "overstating " their crowds

but how bout this for the reverse
this crowd about 4K under for some odd reason ...

fair dinkum :lol:

ceagle

Bench
Something seems fishy about it, I have seen Brookie at 14k a lot and there was definetly more then that there tonight.

applesauce

Bench
Sounds like they are going to use the surplus to 'pad' the ground figures when they have a home game at the SFS or something.

Perth Red

Post Whore
14,255 at Brookvale :eek:

ah.....:sarcasm:

are they serious ?:lol::lol:

there was 18,000 there or I'll give it up
wasn't a spare space anywhere on the hill by the look of it

plenty give it to NRL clubs for "overstating " their crowds

but how bout this for the reverse
this crowd about 4K under for some odd reason ...

fair dinkum :lol:

are you suggesting tax evasion?

Perth Red

Post Whore
true but that would be the only reason I could think of why you would release a lower than accurate figure. What other reason could there be?

BunniesMan

Immortal
true but that would be the only reason I could think of why you would release a lower than accurate figure. What other reason could there be?
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Football Club are a 65 year old sleeper cell organisation working for Andrew Demetriou to bring down rugby league from the inside. It begins with underreporting crowds to make league look less popular...

...which is as good an explanation as any other.

Maybe just maybe the crowd really is 14k and some people are shit at estimating thousands of people accurately?

firechild

First Grade
There was a problem with the turnstiles at BO. Many tickets and passes were not working and people were being let in without the tickets/passes being registered. Probably more like 16-17,000.

Moffo

Referee
There were more then 35k at homebush On Friday as well...I can promise you that as there were kids rushing the gates and going through 2 at a time

juro

Bench
So that was a record for a round 6 crowd total, surpassing 1995's 152,371, when they played 10 games. It is also the first time since 1994 where a round 6 crowd total exceeded the round 1 crowd total (excluding 1996 where only 4 games were played in round 1).

Status
Not open for further replies.