What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ona2001

Juniors
Good.
Brisbane really has grown overall support for other codes because of the lack of NRL teams in this city.
The longer the NRL leaves Brisbane to fester and rot, the easier it is to lose support to other codes.
I like the Roar as a team, shame Berisha is leaving, but we do have thomas Broich.

If it wasn't for Origin, league in Brisbane would be a struggling mess.

Queensland in particular needs a better home and away game structure from the NRL as well as a fourth team, to the end that their fans are guaranteed two home NRL games every weekend. It's already been shown they're flexible in that they will watch other local teams if theirs isn't playing and this needs to be leveraged to the full. IMO a second Brisbane team maximises this opportunity best but the other Queensland expansion bids certainly deserve further investigation.

Last edited:
Good.
Brisbane really has grown overall support for other codes because of the lack of NRL teams in this city.
The longer the NRL leaves Brisbane to fester and rot, the easier it is to lose support to other codes.
I like the Roar as a team, shame Berisha is leaving, but we do have thomas Broich.

If it wasn't for Origin, league in Brisbane would be a struggling mess.

What a load of nonsense. The support for other codes in comparison to the Broncos waxes and wanes with success. Support for the Lions is minimal compared to the threepeat years -- although the fact that their home and away crowds are a bit above those of the Roar doesn't get reported because The Incurious Snail floats to the whorls of its own agendas.

In terms of members, the Broncos are trending upwards. In terms of ratings, they smash any other team in Brisbane. Ditto crowds this season. Origin, which is its own beast is neither here nor there in that sense.

Oikee, you might be a kid, so I suppose I can forgive you your ignorance, but in 2003 there were stories in the paper about how state schools were going to drop league because it was a dying sport in comparison to rugby with the World Cup about to sweep all before it. How did that turn out? The first half of the first decade of this century was filled with stories about the AFL juggernaut that was imminently going to perform its finishing move on the NRL in Brisbane. How did that turn out?

And now the Roar have a crowd of 50000 at Suncorp? In the 90s (1997?) the Strikers packed out Lang Park in an NSL final. Did soccer sweep all before it? How did that work out?

Big events, from other sports, come and go and Brisbane. Always have. Always will.

League is a lot more resilient than the short attention of the media (in search of a headline) or the echo chamber of social media (in search of a share) might indicate.

Canard

Immortal
Game was played in a great spirit and the crowd are into it. It is/was entertaining.

Great for the game in the bush.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
9,627. More than double last year's at Coffs. Great work Dubbo!

Capacity is just under 12k, btw

Brutus

Referee
I'd just book Newcastle every year test match on Fri night city county sat night. Probably sell both games out

Why book a stadium that gets regular NRL games every year?

If you're going to play this bloody City v Country thing then play it in a country area that doesn't get NRL games. That means no more games in f**king Wollongong, Gosford or Newcastle.

Actually...just scrap the meaningless thing.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think that is a myth.

After an Origin is the right time for the Kiwis to be playing Aus.

Aus players are more likely to be stuffed after an Origin series than before it.

Brutus, I think you have lost the plot.

I can recall about 10 years ago the Poms getting absolutely belted 60-10 after playing an Aussie side picked around July after Origin.

Kiwis were flogged by a similar margin and both said that they wouldn't play the " origin hardened" Aussie teams again

Let's not make the same mistakes over and over.

Brutus

Referee
Brutus, I think you have lost the plot.

I can recall about 10 years ago the Poms getting absolutely belted 60-10 after playing an Aussie side picked around July after Origin.

Kiwis were flogged by a similar margin and both said that they wouldn't play the " origin hardened" Aussie teams again

Let's not make the same mistakes over and over.

The Poms were always going to get flogged travelling to the other side of the world for a one off. Tests against the Poms during our season are a no go zone these days - agreed. Bring back end of season Roo Tours once ever four years. I hear one is on the cards for next year.

But I believe the modern day Kiwis would be advantaged by playing Australia after Origin. I heard Gallen on the radio revealing how much the Origin series takes out of the players these days. This would be an undoubted advantage for the Kiwis. Yeah they got flogged once a while back but they were also flogged in the WC final. It happens.

I was a kid at Olympic Park in 1991 and witnessed the Kiwis flog Australia after one of the most intense Origin series ever.

The natural progression of choosing an Aussie team after an Origin series has a fair bit of spunk about it. I used to love discussing "who will make the Aussie side" following an Origin series.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I think its time we just get over this romantic view of country towns

You don't see any major sports around the world playing big games in regional towns of 30k population

The fact that nrl has expanded to Newcastle. Wollongong. Townsville. Gold coast is a fair tribute to regional Australia

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Poms were always going to get flogged travelling to the other side of the world for a one off. Tests against the Poms during our season are a no go zone these days - agreed. Bring back end of season Roo Tours once ever four years. I hear one is on the cards for next year.

But I believe the modern day Kiwis would be advantaged by playing Australia after Origin. I heard Gallen on the radio revealing how much the Origin series takes out of the players these days. This would be an undoubted advantage for the Kiwis. Yeah they got flogged once a while back but they were also flogged in the WC final. It happens.

I was a kid at Olympic Park in 1991 and witnessed the Kiwis flog Australia after one of the most intense Origin series ever.

The natural progression of choosing an Aussie team after an Origin series has a fair bit of spunk about it. I used to love discussing "who will make the Aussie side" following an Origin series.

So you cant recall the Kiwis saying about 10 years ago that they didn't want to play the Aussies after Origin?

I reckon they would be flogged by bigger margins them they are now.

We need not give the doubters more ammo for bagging international RL.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
SYD v WST at Allianz - 21,000
NQL v BRI at 1300SM - 19,000
WAR v CAN at Eden - 23,000
GLD v SOU at Cbus - 13,000
MEL v MAN at AAMI - 18,000
NEW v PEN at Hunter - 21,000
SGI v CBY at ANZ - 28,000
PAR v CRO at Pirtek - 14,000

Some of those are genuine guesses. Could a lot less or heaps more.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think its time we just get over this romantic view of country towns

You don't see any major sports around the world playing big games in regional towns of 30k population

The fact that nrl has expanded to Newcastle. Wollongong. Townsville. Gold coast is a fair tribute to regional Australia

Australia's sport and geography are fairly unique and linked in different ways than most other countries so I don't think you can compare rugby league in Australia to any other sport but AFL. But even there the state's are so different in their sporting landscape and culture that this comparison is almost void.

City country has history, it has benefits and is a nice quirk in the code that makes it unique. Lets find reasons to keep things the same rather than make change for the sake of change as seems to happen

pHyR3

Juniors
Australia's sport and geography are fairly unique and linked in different ways than most other countries so I don't think you can compare rugby league in Australia to any other sport but AFL. But even there the state's are so different in their sporting landscape and culture that this comparison is almost void.

City country has history, it has benefits and is a nice quirk in the code that makes it unique. Lets find reasons to keep things the same rather than make change for the sake of change as seems to happen

supporting the country is crucial to the game.

host some of these tests, city country, U20s etc. etc. in regional areas where possible.

Also, have a regional round (or maybe out of town is a better name). NZ can have one in dunedin or wellington to push up the average as well as someone have one in perth. Besides that just aim to have 10k sellouts for every other game in places like Mackay.

i think that honours the country players and other things they do for the game very well. if not, let me know. i wouldnt have a clue being a city slicker

Chook Norris

First Grade
My guesses:
SYD v WST at Allianz - 20,000
NQL v BRI at 1300SM - 22,000
WAR v CAN at Eden - 16,500
GLD v SOU at Cbus - 19,000
MEL v MAN at AAMI - 17,000
NEW v PEN at Hunter - 17,000
SGI v CBY at ANZ - 28,000
PAR v CRO at Pirtek - 14,000

Status