What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
SYD v WST at Allianz - 21,000
NQL v BRI at 1300SM - 19,000
WAR v CAN at Eden - 23,000
GLD v SOU at Cbus - 13,000
MEL v MAN at AAMI - 18,000
NEW v PEN at Hunter - 21,000
SGI v CBY at ANZ - 28,000
PAR v CRO at Pirtek - 14,000

Some of those are genuine guesses. Could a lot less or heaps more.

I'm more interested to know which ones you know for sure that aren't guesses! ;-)

POPEYE

Coach
I think its time we just get over this romantic view of country towns

You don't see any major sports around the world playing big games in regional towns of 30k population

The fact that nrl has expanded to Newcastle. Wollongong. Townsville. Gold coast is a fair tribute to regional Australia

Since when has Rugby League become a major sport, Australia is the only joint that doesn't get it confused with Union. League needs every supporter it can get, there are big distances in the Central West and almost every house has Fox on the roof because petrol is exhorbitant, small crowds don't mean people aren't watching.

Take away their assimilation and you remove their children's interest, League can't afford to piss anyone off

papabear

Juniors
Gold Coast and souths really should get more considering GC spot on the ladder and good opposition and away fans.

Canard

Immortal
I think its time we just get over this romantic view of country towns

You don't see any major sports around the world playing big games in regional towns of 30k population

Your point is proven wrong by sports like English Soccer which is played in many smaller regional centres at the top level.

Why not differentiate our sport though? Why not give something back? Why not shore up those links and ensure kids want to play our game?

ouwet

Bench
SYD v WST at Allianz - 18,000
NQL v BRI at 1300SM - 17,000
WAR v CAN at Eden - 18,000
GLD v SOU at Cbus - 14,000
MEL v MAN at AAMI - 16,000
NEW v PEN at Hunter - 18,500
SGI v CBY at ANZ - 32,000
PAR v CRO at Pirtek - 15,500

Total - 149,000
Average - 18,625

Springs

First Grade
Roosters v Tigers - 18,000
Cowboys v Broncos - 19,000
Warriors v Raiders - 17,000
Titans v Rabbitohs - 13,000
Storm v Sea Eagles - 14,000
Knights v Panthers - 16,000
Dragons v Bulldogs - 27,000
Eels v Sharks - 13,000

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The 3 times Souths have played at Robina the crowds have been 20,392(2013), 20,187 (2012) and 19,833 (2009). Due to the Titans position on the table I can't see why this weekend won't get a similar crowd.

t-ba

Post Whore
Australia's sport and geography are fairly unique and linked in different ways than most other countries so I don't think you can compare rugby league in Australia to any other sport but AFL. But even there the state's are so different in their sporting landscape and culture that this comparison is almost void.

City country has history, it has benefits and is a nice quirk in the code that makes it unique. Lets find reasons to keep things the same rather than make change for the sake of change as seems to happen

I think as a concept it is tired.

I'd much rather an extra round every year played in regional centres and dubbed a 'country carnival' or something of the like.

The NRL would have to be prepared to cover the operating losses but I think you could almost guarantee a week completely sold out.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Australia's sport and geography are fairly unique and linked in different ways than most other countries so I don't think you can compare rugby league in Australia to any other sport but AFL. But even there the state's are so different in their sporting landscape and culture that this comparison is almost void.

City country has history, it has benefits and is a nice quirk in the code that makes it unique. Lets find reasons to keep things the same rather than make change for the sake of change as seems to happen

You just need to find the point that tradition meets progress....

Holding onto history for histories-sake is the fastest way to become culturally irrelevant, but at the same time traditions give people a reason to get emotional about something that would be otherwise pointless (eg: sport).

City-Country hasnt changed in decades, but everything around it has; we have teams in Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra and there is only one dominant League comp that all players strive for. in its current form, CvC is totally pointless; all the best country players are already in the NRL and trial for the rep teams every week.

THEREFORE.... if CvC wants to stay relevant, it has to change (im not saying scrap it altogether, but the 70's model is just pointless now).

- It cant just be sold to the public as an Origin trial anymore, that what the NRL is for; it must be considered an independent concept.
- If they cant produce a decent rivalry (independent of SOO) with the current teams, then maybe they should alter the concept, while keeping the cord tradition.

One idea could be to play it during an Origin break, NSW players not picked for Origin get put into a City team and play against players selected from local CRL comps (PMXIII vs PNG style).

Or, again played during the origin period, put a team together partially of NRL players not selected for SOO and partially of amateurs from local comps....

My point is, despite what anyone says, CvC is a valuable brand, it is just stuck in the past. Every effort to reenvigorate it should be takes before it is just cut....

Last edited:

ona2001

Juniors

I'd much rather an extra round every year played in regional centres and dubbed a 'country carnival' or something of the like.

The NRL would have to be prepared to cover the operating losses but I think you could almost guarantee a week completely sold out.

This is a much better idea, although a whole round might be a little difficult to achieve logistically and covering the losses all in one hit might be a serious issue. A variation might be to have one NSW team every fourth round take a home game to a regional centre so there's something to look forward to for country fans all season long. The Queensland teams could do the same for two games a season each.

I understand why City-Country holds sentimental appeal to some fans but it's a luxury that only a park competition like the old NSWRL premiership could afford. The ARLC negotiating parity at the next broadcast deal will involve demonstrating that the matches it has on offer have the broadest possible appeal nationally, and an intrastate trial match that interstate audiences have little interest in just isn't part of that picture IMO.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Lolz these Parra predictions of 14k-15k against Sharks

Nobody this season has got anywhere near that on a Monday night crowd,why would Parra do so against the Cronulla Wazns especially after 2 disgraceful performances in a row.

Dogs Of War

Coach
This is a much better idea, although a whole round might be a little difficult to achieve logistically and covering the losses all in one hit might be a serious issue. A variation might be to have one NSW team every fourth round take a home game to a regional centre so there's something to look forward to for country fans all season long. The Queensland teams could do the same for two games a season each.

I don't know why QLD clubs who have limited games in there markets have to take 2 away, while NSW Clubs who have heaps of opportunities to see their team (well Sydney teams anyway), only take one in your proposal.

It's a simple thing, take one home game off each club and let the NRL use it however they like. Some to NSW/QLD Country, some to markets they would like to develop further like Perth and Wellington. I'm sure clubs could have some say into how they would like there game used so it works out as a win win situation for the NRL and the club.

RedVee

First Grade
You just need to find the point that tradition meets progress....

Holding onto history for histories-sake is the fastest way to become culturally irrelevant, but at the same time traditions give people a reason to get emotional about something that would be otherwise pointless (eg: sport).

City-Country hasnt changed in decades, but everything around it has; we have teams in Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra and there is only one dominant League comp that all players strive for. in its current form, CvC is totally pointless; all the best country players are already in the NRL and trial for the rep teams every week.

THEREFORE.... if CvC wants to stay relevant, it has to change (im not saying scrap it altogether, but the 70's model is just pointless now).

- It cant just be sold to the public as an Origin trial anymore, that what the NRL is for; it must be considered an independent concept.
- If they cant produce a decent rivalry (independent of SOO) with the current teams, then maybe they should alter the concept, while keeping the cord tradition.

One idea could be to play it during an Origin break, NSW players not picked for Origin get put into a City team and play against players selected from local CRL comps (PMXIII vs PNG style).

Or, again played during the origin period, put a team together partially of NRL players not selected for SOO and partially of amateurs from local comps....

My point is, despite what anyone says, CvC is a valuable brand, it is just stuck in the past. Every effort to reenvigorate it should be takes before it is just cut....

However, it has changed since the 70s.

It used to be based on residence, now it is an Origen based game. Suggest it needs to be improved, sure but don't say it is stuck in its 79s mould.

undertaker

Coach

This. I'm disappointed there isn't another NRL match taken to central NSW this year. That game in Mudgee last year was well received. It was a good venue as well. Can't believe that was nearly a year ago. A crowd of 9,432 in a town with a population of 9,830 was excellent.

Another idea would be to have a 2 year cycle, where 8 teams take at least one match to a country/regional area in one year and the other 8 teams the following year. All of those matches don't necessarily have to be in the same round, but spread throughout the year and for NSW/ACT sides, take their matches to those regional places where City-Country Origin has been played in the pastp (e.g. Bathurst, Orange, Wagga Wagga, Albury etc.). Venues should be upgraded to a capacity between 10-15k, which is enough for those regions where the game is held. It would be an incentive for teams to take one of their lower drawing sides as a home match.

Brutus

Referee
This. I'm disappointed there isn't another NRL match taken to central NSW this year. That game in Mudgee last year was well received. It was a good venue as well. Can't believe that was nearly a year ago. A crowd of 9,432 in a town with a population of 9,830 was excellent.

Another idea would be to have a 2 year cycle, where 8 teams take at least one match to a country/regional area in one year and the other 8 teams the following year. All of those matches don't necessarily have to be in the same round, but spread throughout the year and for NSW/ACT sides, take their matches to those regional places where City-Country Origin has been played in the pastp (e.g. Bathurst, Orange, Wagga Wagga, Albury etc.). Venues should be upgraded to a capacity between 10-15k, which is enough for those regions where the game is held. It would be an incentive for teams to take one of their lower drawing sides as a home match.

I'm with you on the 2 year cycle plan for country games.

Flapper

First Grade
Every team should move 2 of their games a year, one to a heartland area and the other to a non heartland area. Gives teams more exposure and potential membership sales, makes all the other season tickets 10 games hence easier to break down to a per game figure for ads, increases crowds for those 10 games. I don't really see a downside.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Every team should move 2 of their games a year, one to a heartland area and the other to a non heartland area. Gives teams more exposure and potential membership sales, makes all the other season tickets 10 games hence easier to break down to a per game figure for ads, increases crowds for those 10 games. I don't really see a downside.

Yep, but it comes back to having a whole of game approach, so if you were doing something like this, it needs the NRL to manage it, and take into account what the clubs would like to do, and what the NRL is trying to do. Otherwise you end up with clubs not wanting to play in places like Adelaide or Tasmania, when they may be places the NRL is trying to get exposure in. As well given the NRL is cashed up, they could guarantee a certain gate figure for clubs, with any work done by the club in promoting the game providing more cash to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts