What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully the Manly crowd travel, great initiative moving it to the SCG for more motivation for away supporters to travel to a historic ground.

Well I'm travelling all the way from Perth just for the privilege of seeing a RL game at a cricket ground lol.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Cutting a fifth of the season out? would the players be prepared to take 20% paycuts? would teams take the loss of revenue? There will never be less games than there is now.

@BM: Economics 101 -- supply and demand, scarcity.

Leverage fewer games into greater interest, greater attendance and greater ratings. Of course, the key word is "leverage". Nothing should be taken for granted.

The Super League (as it currently stands) is a good example of this principle in play, albeit at the other end of the spectrum. Too many rounds, too many meaningless games, lower interest.

Hopefully the Manly crowd travel, great initiative moving it to the SCG for more motivation for away supporters to travel to a historic ground.

Historic or not, I find the S.C.G. a dreadful venue to watch rugby league.

All I care about when I go to the match is how good the view is from where I am sitting and for mine you are sitting way too far from the playing field.

Well I'm travelling all the way from Perth just for the privilege of seeing a RL game at a cricket ground lol.

Bring your binoculars :)

TheFrog

Coach
In order to bring back the crowds we need to encourage society to participate in interracial love making thus increasing the chances of producing more Jarryd Hayne's in the future which will obviously bring the fans back in droves.

Fijian colt + white filly = Hayne :cool:

Interracial love is the key

You could try cloning the great one, but I suspect the point of the exercise will be defeated when every team has four or five of them.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Will be my first game there, heard the waca was the worse RL ground ever so not expecting much from scg! Where's best place to get a pint near by?

Depends on your budget. I always like the Clock usually a decent turnup and decentish prices. The closer you go to the stadium the more expensive. Captain Cook Hotel is always packed, forget it.

Brutus

Referee
Will the SCG crack 20k for this 1v 2 Sydney blockbuster.

Will the NRL promote the f**k out of it or simply preach to the converted.

oikee

Juniors
Agree, cut the season back to 20 rounds, add the nines and make origin stand alone and also introduce more internationals. Get rid of Monday and Thurday footy, unless it's a public holiday.
Before it's too late.
I heard that the NRL are going to fix low crowd numbers, like the 7 odd thousand that bothered last nite.
They are installing a Red Button. If crowd drops below 10 thousand, "Press the Red Button".

franklin2323

Immortal
Add the 2 new teams and 2 divisions. Without fail if a Sydney team plays an interstate team it will be a terrible crowd. All Sydney teams play each other home and away and the rest v the interstate pool.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The ticket prices for suburban grounds need to be addressed. $50 to sit in the grandstand at Campbelltown Stadium, who would pay that?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-nrl-tells-clubs/story-fnca0von-1227013304660
Crowd numbers will improve, NRL tells clubs

The Australian
August 05, 2014 12:00AM

Stuart Honeysett
Sports Reporter

THE NRL is confident it is on track to improve on its crowd *figures from last season despite growing concerns from clubs that there are scheduling problems.

Those fears have been exacerbated by the four Thursday night games locked into the lead-up to the finals.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg painted a rosy picture yesterday at the announcement of a $10 million NSW government initiative to improve the WiFi *facilities at Allianz Stadium.

Heading into last night’s match between Wests Tigers and Melbourne at Campbelltown Stadium, the NRL was averaging 15,996 fans this season. That’s a modest 1.5 per cent rise on last year’s average of 15,762.

“I wouldn’t say we’re worried; I think we’re on target to hit our *objectives,’’ Greenberg said. “There’s a distinct balance between ratings and crowds. Sometimes they’re difficult to do both.

“Thursday night football returns and we know the numbers on free-to-air television through Channel Nine will be significant as they were last year. We understand the balance of trying to get ratings and crowds right but *people have to understand we have commercial contracts in place to broadcasters.

“We’re hoping crowds will be up. I don’t think the game has ever worked harder with the 16 clubs and the game itself to drive fan *attendance for members and event fans.

“Our numbers have been strong all year. We started slowly, we got some criticism for that but we’ve made some good ground and we hope we can finish the season on a really positive note. All our metrics suggest we’re going to finish with good numbers.”

Sydney clubs are so concerned about crowds and scheduling this season that a number of them met before the last chief executives’ conference. When they voiced their concerns to the NRL, they were shown the broadcast deal for the first time in detail.

A club official told The Australian yesterday the contract was “unbelievably restrictive” and it gave the NRL very little room to manoeuvre with regards to scheduling. One positive, however, was Nine’s first and last rights option has been removed for the next deal.

The AFL, by comparison, has much more clout with its broadcast deal. It told the Seven Network it was scrapping Sunday night fixtures following a paltry turnout of 41,000 fans to a match between powerhouses Collingwood and Carlton in June. With only five rounds before the finals, the regular season will conclude with four matches in the Thursday night timeslot. Traditionally this is a difficult game to sell to fans with families because of the late finish.

Making things worse is that the matches are all blockbusters that would draw bigger crowds in a much friendlier timeslot — South Sydney-Brisbane, Canterbury-Wests Tigers, Canterbury-South Sydney and Sydney Roosters-Souths.

Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said staging their match against their arch-rivals on a Thursday night would probably cost the club about 10,000 fans. That equates to about $200,000 in gate takings. “We know that it’s a great spectacle at night time and we know there’s an absolute buzz but it’s just the family issue that makes it difficult to generate a live crowd,’’ Canavan said.

“It’s a two-sided coin — bums on seats is shorter term because it’s cash in the bank. TV ratings mean that the broadcasting rights are increased.

“We’re forever hopeful (crowds will improve). The footy is starting to open up a little bit. We’re getting bigger scorelines and with the closeness of the results at the top end it makes it very interesting with five games to go.’’

Compounding the problem is that in the past five rounds there are only three games in Sydney on a Sunday.

There is nothing scheduled for the next two weeks followed by Cronulla-Canberra and St George Illawarra-Gold Coast in round 24.

The only other Sunday match in Sydney is Manly-Penrith in round 25.

“People need to also understand the NRL is not based in Sydney alone,’’ Greenberg said.

“There’s going to be lots of great game across the NRL network this weekend — not just in Sydney but outside of Sydney. That’s really important for people to understand because we’re looking to grow the game.’’

Diesel

Referee
It's been said many times, but once this is treated as a national comp and not an expanded NSWRL comp by mainly channel 9 and to a lesser degree the NRL the better.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So basically we're f**ked until the 2018 season

Gallop: "hehe, sorry dude..."

795505-david-gallop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts