What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

juro

Bench
Doing my comparison of games again (see http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...postcount=2019).

What the hell happened to crowds this weekend? Round 21 (92k) was 34k down on the average of the equivalent games from 2009-2013 (126k). This was the worst weekend for relative crowds in the entire period. The previous worst was -28k in round 16 last year.

crowd_2014_21.png

Out of the 8 games, 7 were negatives:
- Roosters vs Dragons -18k (although this comparison gets distorted by the Anzac Day match every other year)
- Wests Tigers vs Storm -6k
- Rabbitohs vs Knights -4k (lowest crowd for this fixture since 2006, although having the game in Cairns didn't help)
- Bulldogs vs Panthers -3k
- Raiders vs Warriors -3k (lowest crowd for this fixture ever)
- Cowboys vs Titans -1k
- Sea Eagles vs Broncos -1k

The only positive was Sharks vs Eels and it was only just marginally better.

Next week's par crowd total is 130k, and we should get about that.

My guesses are:
- Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles 18k
- Broncos vs Bulldogs 33k
- Knights vs Storm 14k
- Cowboys vs Wests Tigers 17k
- Eels vs Raiders 17k
- Warriors vs Sharks 14k
- Dragons vs Panthers 13k
- Roosters vs Titans 8k
Total: 134k

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This is trotted out like a mantra every time there is a whiff of crap crowds in Sydney. If every NRL fan in Sydney went to one game a week we'd have 25k averages in no time.
I'm not denying crowds in Sydney could be improved. There are obvious issues

Cowboys crowds: Up on 2013.

Bulldogs crowds: Down on 2013.
Roosters crowds: Down on 2013.
Souths crowds: Down on 2013.
Cronulla crowds: Down on 2013.
Manly crowds: Down on 2013.

Who's failing crowds, Tim? Sydney's always had plenty of games per round. And still the crowds plummet. What's the next excuse, Tim? Per capita? Smashed by the Cowboys again.
Smashed by the Cowboys eh?

SOU 20,037
PAR 18,648
SGI 16,998
CBY 15,480
WST 14,683
NQL 14,312

The Cowboys have half a state and they average less than five clubs fighting for a piece of the Western Sydney market by playing home games at ANZ.

As for crowds "plummeting" :lol: Nice dramatic wording but crowds in Sydney are actually steady and have been for some time.

Your points are valid. But.

That Bulldogs v Penrith crowd was hilariously crap.
Without doubt, I'm disappointed. It wasn't on it's own - 7/8 crowds last weekend were utter rubbish.

Broncos pax 30,545.

I doubt crowd will eclipse 34.

How strong doggie support in Brisbane? Broncos do alright in drawing crowds when in a slump compared to reds & lions where it free falls quicker than quicksand. Cows/tigers should get 18k min, 20k would be great with cows current form.

Canard

Immortal
The Cowboys have half a state and they average less than five clubs fighting for a piece of the Western Sydney market by playing home games at ANZ.

I agree with your post Timmah.

However this statement doesn't help your arguement. The Cowboys have a direct pool of around 150,000 to draw on with about 400,000 in the wider catchment.

It might be "half" the state geographically (which it isn't even that more like a third), but is far less of the population than SEQ.

Its like saying you have all of the Antarctic to draw crowds from.

I'm not denying crowds in Sydney could be improved. There are obvious issues

Smashed by the Cowboys eh?

SOU 20,037
PAR 18,648
SGI 16,998
CBY 15,480
WST 14,683
NQL 14,312

As for crowds "plummeting" :lol: Nice dramatic wording but crowds in Sydney are actually steady and have been for some time.

Without doubt, I'm disappointed. It wasn't on it's own - 7/8 crowds last weekend were utter rubbish.

Are you illiterate? Smashed by the Cowboys clearly referred to per capita. Furthermore, I responding to your unsustainable point that the Cowboys crowds are failing. Which you of course dodged.

Are you also geographically ignorant? The claim that the Cowboys have half the state, as if somehow people are going to go from Barcaldine to Townsville once a fortnight is asinine nonsense. (The per capita thing is of course nonsense anyway as I repeatedly point out. Its just that people in Sydney somehow respond violently when their own arguments are used against them.)

As for plummeting... the Bulldogs average is down what? 20% this year? Cronulla 10%? Manly 10%? The Roosters 30%? If those are steady crowds, remind me to never retain you as a financial advisor.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Aren't you the same merkin who was telling me per capita comparisions are bullshit juat the other day? Guess they're valid when they suit your own agenda.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
How strong doggie support in Brisbane? Broncos do alright in drawing crowds when in a slump compared to reds & lions where it free falls quicker than quicksand. Cows/tigers should get 18k min, 20k would be great with cows current form.

Bulldogs support up here is ok. But not extreme, there tends to be a lot of Kiwis that support Canterbury.

I have always been disappointed by the Bulldogs contingent that would show up for their "home" double header game at Suncorp.

Brutus

Referee
Souths and Manly really should get 30k.

Disappointing if they don't. It's 1 v f**king 2 ffs..

lockyno1

Post Whore
It's the sort of game the NRL should be encouraging neutrals to. Should be ads on commercial prime time tv amongst other things.

Sure...put it on a Sunday afternoon at 3pm then! Defies any logic that this game is Friday...:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts