What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I wonder if they will actually sell level 6 at ANZ...?

Reds Suncorp final was sold in 5mins, surely Sydney can find 65-75k? Especially with how CHEAP it is !

juro

Bench
Doing my comparison of games again (see http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...postcount=2019).

Well that was a pretty deflating round for crowds. Round 20 (136k) was 16k down on the average of the equivalent games from 2009-2013 (152k). This lost all the gains from the previous week. If we were to get average crowds for the remaining 6 weeks, we would finish with 3,111k, up on last year but behind 2012, 2011 and 2010.

crowd_2014_20.png

Out of the 8 games, 7 were negatives:
- Knights vs Roosters -5k
- Panthers vs Sharks -3k (lowest crowd for this fixture since 2002)
- Bulldogs vs Cowboys -3k
- Warriors vs Sea Eagles -3k (average was boosted by a 38k crowd in 2012)
- Raiders vs Rabbitohs -3k (lowest crowd for this fixture since 2005)
- Broncos vs Storm -2k
- Titans vs Eels -1k

The only positive was:
- Wests Tigers vs Dragons +4k (although it had everything going for it to be much better)

Next week's par crowd total is 126k, and again I'm thinking we will struggle to get close.

My guesses are:
- Roosters vs Dragons 14k
- Cowboys vs Titans 16k
- Raiders vs Warriors 8k
- Sharks vs Eels 11k
- Sea Eagles vs Broncos 16k
- Bulldogs vs Panthers 17k
- Rabbitohs vs Knights 17k
- Wests Tigers vs Storm 7k
Total: 106k

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Juro, you are the type of contributor that should be running this thread. A breath of fresh air from the nauseating comparisons made by posters who should be following another sport.

Good work mate, it's appreciated.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Juro, you are the type of contributor that should be running this thread. A breath of fresh air from the nauseating comparisons made by posters who should be following another sport.

Good work mate, it's appreciated.

Juro's posts are brilliant.

Comparisons are also great. When taking note of certain crowd building strategies.

A sly little dig is much more nauseating.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Juro's posts are brilliant.

Comparisons are also great. When taking note of certain crowd building strategies.

A sly little dig is much more nauseating.

I've never bought into the notion that Rugby League can learn much from ozzie rules.

Not to say they haven't had success with their strategies in certain areas. But we have our own unique position and that is wildly different from the historical background of that game, and so we should generate our plans to suit.

There is a handful, and only a handful, of contributors in this thread that make needless, yet seemingly endless references to a different game. It seems obvious to me they should just be following that game.

elbusto

Coach
I've never bought into the notion that Rugby League can learn much from ozzie rules.

Not to say they haven't had success with their strategies in certain areas. But we have our own unique position and that is wildly different from the historical background of that game, and so we should generate our plans to suit.

There is a handful, and only a handful, of contributors in this thread that make needless, yet seemingly endless references to a different game. It seems obvious to me they should just be following that game.

Spot on mate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any business is foolish for not taking the best from its competitors whilst avoiding their mistakes.

Crowd avg overall will be roughly same as it has been for a number of years. The game has plateaued re crowds for quite some time. The good things are A) the NRL has set a goal B) we are starting to see some action re ticket pricing C) we should soon see a Sydney stadium strategy D) the NRL is going to make some funding reliant on clubs increasing their crowds.

Burns

First Grade
Barlow Park should near enough sell out right?
Last years game got of Souths v Titans got 16k, ground holds 18k.

franklin2323

Immortal
Any business is foolish for not taking the best from its competitors whilst avoiding their mistakes.

Crowd avg overall will be roughly same as it has been for a number of years. The game has plateaued re crowds for quite some time. The good things are A) the NRL has set a goal B) we are starting to see some action re ticket pricing C) we should soon see a Sydney stadium strategy D) the NRL is going to make some funding reliant on clubs increasing their crowds.

Look at a map of Melb and where the AFL clubs are located all in the inner city. Then you have regional centres in RL without the Population to pull huge crowds. Then of course you have TV wanting games when people won't or can't show up. So comparisions can't be correct

seanoff

Juniors
Look at a map of Melb and where the AFL clubs are located all in the inner city. Then you have regional centres in RL without the Population to pull huge crowds.

The locations where the clubs are historically from have SFA to do with their current supporter bases or the crowds they pull. Yes. The AFL have always had reasonable crowds, but a lot of the later growth has been due to the use of two modern stadiums with good transport links in melbourne. Adelaide has followed this model and their crowds are up significantly this year, whether that lasts is a matter for those with crystal ball reading ability. Perth is going the same way.

collingwood has a population of less than 6500, carlton around 13000 - 16000. This hardly explains crowds of 80000+. The crowd comes from all over the melbourne metro area and beyond.

Apart from the real diehards who'd watch while being crucified, people want comfortable seats, unobstructed viewing, with decent food and drink options, plentiful bathrooms and cover from the weather. The NRL know this so games will be moved away from the suburban grounds to the stadiums with better facilities.

I couldn't take my 11yo daughter to brookie and stand on the hill. She wouldn't see anything, it would be uncomfortable, etc etc. however she did go to the MCG with her mum and 80000 others to watch geelong v hawthorn earlier in the year and she was comfy, could see and had easy access to food, drink and loos. It wouldn't bother me going to brookie but i'm 193cm so not many people are blocking my view.

franklin2323

Immortal
The locations where the clubs are historically from have SFA to do with their current supporter bases or the crowds they pull. Yes. The AFL have always had reasonable crowds, but a lot of the later growth has been due to the use of two modern stadiums with good transport links in melbourne. Adelaide has followed this model and their crowds are up significantly this year, whether that lasts is a matter for those with crystal ball reading ability. Perth is going the same way.

So why does Geelong not use the 2 staduims? Could it be their fans are more then 20mins from the grounds?

seanoff

Juniors
So why does Geelong not use the 2 staduims? Could it be their fans are more then 20mins from the grounds?

Geelong are forced to play at the MCG or Etihad at least 2x each. They generally play the bigger melbourne clubs at those venues as the home team. They play interstate and the smaller melb clubs in geelong.

And seriously lol, if you think anything but a minority of fans live within 20mins of the MCG, unless you are referring to flying time.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

collingwood has a population of less than 6500, carlton around 13000 - 16000. This hardly explains crowds of 80000+. The crowd comes from all over the melbourne metro area and beyond.

Apart from the real diehards who'd watch while being crucified, people want comfortable seats, unobstructed viewing, with decent food and drink options, plentiful bathrooms and cover from the weather. The NRL know this so games will be moved away from the suburban grounds to the stadiums with better facilities.

I couldn't take my 11yo daughter to brookie and stand on the hill. She wouldn't see anything, it would be uncomfortable, etc etc. however she did go to the MCG with her mum and 80000 others to watch geelong v hawthorn earlier in the year and she was comfy, could see and had easy access to food, drink and loos. It wouldn't bother me going to brookie but i'm 193cm so not many people are blocking my view.

THIS.

And the sooner that some of the nostalgic older people and diehards on here understand it, the better.

franklin2323

Immortal
THIS.

And the sooner that some of the nostalgic older people and diehards on here understand it, the better.

It's not that at all. I am not going on Friday night I would if it was Sunday.

I leave for work at 5am finish in the CBD at 530. I can't possibly go home and back to game in time. So I either go straight there given I have to be at Burwood at 7am Sat a 11-11.30 home time doesn't appeal to me.

I have said we should have Blockbusters on a Sunday/ Public Holiday at ANZ but not every game. The setup of Sydney/time of games doesn't allow for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts