What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

insert.pause

First Grade
Perhaps the answer is to set the finals venues as neutral ground events and have locations bid for games in the same way the World Cup is scheduled

This would mean tickets could be made avaailable well in advance and the games would have to be promoted as big event days (like the GF or Origin) rather than depending on sales within a single week lead-up.

(This would be if the NRL was to form conferences, but i think it could work now an would solve a lot of these problems)

The answer in Sydney, where the problem is, is to have the clubs promote their games more, which will mean a slice of the gate. The clubs have to be more accountable for poor attendances.

insert.pause

First Grade
Do ticketek, the stadium or nrl determine when the upper east gets opened? It seems a bit strange that that whole tier would be with held in an all Sydney clash were the expected crowd would be 30k+

I just tried to buy category 1 tickets and could only get single seats in Bay 15

Obviously they have projected much less than 30k, it's a budgetary issue, they would lose money if they opened up the upper tiers to cater for only a couple more thousand people.

RWB

Bench
f**k me dead you boys must be on the cans early, i can purchase tickets in all areas bar the Kennel and there is only single tickets left in cat 2...

Get me 6 Cat 1 tickets and I'll shoot you over the cash now... clearly me being on the cans is why I keep getting;

Sorry, we are unable to obtain the tickets you requested. This either means that the remaining tickets are currently in other customers baskets, or that there aren?t enough available adjacent seats to fulfil your request. You can try again with a smaller quantity of tickets, or in a different category.

RWB

Bench
Eastern upper tier has been now finally opened up & as General Admission!!!

These are great seats for $25. Generally these are CAT 2 seating. Will definitely be a 30k+ crowd now.

insert.pause

First Grade
Should the NRL be concerned that a mid-year game in a city without a team (Perth) manages to get 20k+ two years in a row and finals footy is well below that? It's finals footy, even a starved Perth crowd shouldn't be able to match an elimination final

People don't want to attend games involving the roosters or manly, those clubs should be very concerned considering their success, particularly over the last decade. Long term it's not sustainable. They simply have to do more to appeal to a larger market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The answer in Sydney, where the problem is, is to have the clubs promote their games more, which will mean a slice of the gate. The clubs have to be more accountable for poor attendances.

No the answer is for the NRL to get off its arse and be accountable for a aspect of the game it is responsible for. They have got a $billion, a massive back room office, marketing depts, contract depts, contra advertising available to them and they are responsible for the finals. Anyone go last night? Was there pre and post match entertainment? Was there loads of stuff for kids going on around the ground? How about the marketing to Sydney during the week? Was there a 2:1 ticket deal to both games for neutral fans? Sorry but the NRL is still pathetic in all of these areas, they still expect fans to rock up, pay $50 each to watch 90mins of a game and go home. Until they get their head around the concept of putting on big games as events then you will always just get the die hards going and for most Sydney clubs that means 12-18k fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People don't want to attend games involving the roosters or manly, those clubs should be very concerned considering their success, particularly over the last decade. Long term it's not sustainable. They simply have to do more to appeal to a larger market.

Manly got 20K in Perth, just saying;-) Bit of a bummer when more people in an AFL city at a really poor ground for RL will turn out to watch you than in your own city in a finals game!

insert.pause

First Grade
No the answer is for the NRL to get off its arse and be accountable for a aspect of the game it is responsible for. They have got a $billion, a massive back room office, marketing depts, contract depts, contra advertising available to them and they are responsible for the finals. Anyone go last night? Was there pre and post match entertainment? Was there loads of stuff for kids going on around the ground? How about the marketing to Sydney during the week? Was there a 2:1 ticket deal to both games for neutral fans? Sorry but the NRL is still pathetic in all of these areas, they still expect fans to rock up, pay $50 each to watch 90mins of a game and go home. Until they get their head around the concept of putting on big games as events then you will always just get the die hards going and for most Sydney clubs that means 12-18k fans.

Yes, the NRL did do all that, meanwhile Manly complained about not playing at brookie and sabotaged any chance of getting their supporters to attend.

undertaker

Coach
It's beyond a joke. The upper eastern stand should of been open from day 1. Manly V Bulldogs was obviously going to draw a crowd big enough to need it.

Now they have lost a full days worth of sales because there is no other seating available. Not sure if this is a ticketek f**k up or the NRL.

The way i see it, it's a 45K seat stadium, so 45K seats should of gone on sale from day 1. None of this holding back tickets bullshit that does nothing but hamper sales.

This is what annoyed many people regarding the 2013 RLWC semi-final double header at Wembley Stadium. The Wembley management didn't release tickets in many bays of the ground until they were nearly all sold out. They got 67k, but could've got up to another 10k more had all tickets been released from day 1.

undertaker

Coach
Agreed. If this is the best the NRL can do them hand back the marketing, ownership and gate revenue to the clubs.

I hope after this shitty tv deal we go back to Saturday and Sunday semi and preliminary finals and a twilight GF

I've been crapping on about the part in bold for ages now. I'm still surprised nothing has been mentioned about this in the media, and how Ch9 have been allowed to screw fans over, even after they got their night GF back.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Nearly time to scrap all finals prize money

And give it to the teams as a %of the gate in the finals

Base it on the % of their ST holders use thier aan number or something

Guaranteed if roosters could see cash last night they get 30k

I heard today they got entire gate $ from wcc

And what a shock 33k went

Heritage XIII

Juniors

And what a shock 33k went[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that when Wigan should share in any income from the match. Why would they have a challenge match if the home team were the only one's to benefit from the match gate?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
One thing that is really annoying me with the finals and also night broadcasts in general is the kickoff times.

Simply fans who attend are getting shafted week in week out, channel nine are dictating when exactly games kickoff and usually this results in matches starting 15-20 minutes after their slated kickoff.

Today the AFL had a preliminary final kickoff at 5pm, we are handed "7.45"pm usually 8pm for every game bar 1 on a sunday afternoon for which the post match coverage doesn't exist. Its no way to run a sport and better change or the game dig a hole big enough that it can't get out of.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Agree with that. We need to go to 1xSaturday game say 4pm, and a similar slot of the Sunday. Stuff Friday night. Makes the game start at a decent time.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

And what a shock 33k went

I highly doubt that when Wigan should share in any income from the match. Why would they have a challenge match if the home team were the only one's to benefit from the match gate?[/QUOTE]

The away team apparently gets a fixed fee paid for from the broadcast rights

And the home team gets gate.

That's how wcc works

Aussie clubs would not travel to UK to play an unknown superleague team for a 50% gate split only

London broncos if they ever made it would still only get 6,000 fans

Latest posts