What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

MsStorm

Bench
The promotion for the game was really poor. There was no media about training times to meet the players...just nothing!

I only heard a few ads on radio, not sure if Ch.9 bothered showing any ads as I only watch Fox and as per normal no discussions about the game on radio, it was all about the 2015 AFL fixture or trade week.

NRL headquarters should be ashamed of themselves.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The promotion for the game was really poor. There was no media about training times to meet the players...just nothing!

I only heard a few ads on radio, not sure if Ch.9 bothered showing any ads as I only watch Fox and as per normal no discussions about the game on radio, it was all about the 2015 AFL fixture or trade week.

NRL headquarters should be ashamed of themselves.

How do you know they didn't try? Fact is the Melbourne media will marginalise any sport if it's not AFL or cricket.

MsStorm

Bench
How do you know they didn't try? Fact is the Melbourne media will marginalise any sport if it's not AFL or cricket.

Well when the NRL sent out a tweet on social media 15 minutes before a possible meeting with the players in a Melbourne store sums up what I'm talking about!

MsStorm

Bench
Just copied and pasted someone else's thoughts on the game from a forum. :

It was disappointing to say the least. So much could have been done for this game yet it appeared the NRL were simply not interested in it at all. Whilst I enjoyed helping out with the Roo Crew, it seemed a lot was left to the very last minute. Promotion of the game in Melbourne was practically non-existant unless you were a Storm fan or followed Rugby League in general. The build up was very poor, and from what I heard, not many turned up to the fan day at Rebel Sport (once again, poor publicity). I was waiting to hear xxxx and the SAS gang belt out some chants but now I see the group was not all there. A few attempted chants were made but were unsuccessful as the crowd around seemed more interested in soaking up the sun and listening to the England Army make noise. Hopefully next time we host a Representative game at AAMI Park it's a little more organised and better promoted. With the Melbourne Cup 2 days after the game we surely could have got a full house if the NRL struck a deal with the VRC. From what I heard, there was a late minute ticket offer made for Derby Day (clearly because sales weren't doing so well). Maybe next game the SAS can work closely with the Roo Crew / NRL and work on chants etc to rev up the Aussie Army!&

Cheers!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smith has said he intends to make the 2017 RLWC the "best ever". I would suggest he sack his marketing and media dept for starters and gets a new team in, the current lot seem to be clueless.

Considering the RFL managed to fill Wembley stadium for the semis and fill Old Trafford for a final featuring neutral teams not to mention getting cities to bid to host games (unheard of for RL in England) and get decent crowds for most games the NRL had better learn quickly how to manage the International game better.

I'd love to know the debrief conversations at NRL HQ and if Smith and Greenburg are happy or can see the dismal failure to promote the 4nations and the appaling Ch9 treatment of the comp?

insert.pause

First Grade
Smith has said he intends to make the 2017 RLWC the "best ever". I would suggest he sack his marketing and media dept for starters and gets a new team in, the current lot seem to be clueless.

Considering the RFL managed to fill Wembley stadium for the semis and fill Old Trafford for a final featuring neutral teams not to mention getting cities to bid to host games (unheard of for RL in England) and get decent crowds for most games the NRL had better learn quickly how to manage the International game better.

I'd love to know the debrief conversations at NRL HQ and if Smith and Greenburg are happy or can see the dismal failure to promote the 4nations and the appaling Ch9 treatment of the comp?

A 2017 RLWC workshop was run at the Marriott in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago for NRL staff and included lessons from the 2013 RLWC.

Timmah

Staff member
I love the buzzwords.

Dismal failure

Appalling treatment

Just... are you Buzz Rothfield in disguise or what?

pcpp

Juniors
Any news on what kind of crowds we're looking at for this weekend?

NZ v England apparently is selling quite well but not sold out - but capacity is limited to 22k. Bit disappointed they didn't try and push for the 30k max with temporary seating as this should be a huge match.

Hopefully Australia v Samoa gets a decent crowd. Should be a big match, and deserves a lot more than 10k.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
I love the buzzwords.

Dismal failure

Appalling treatment

Just... are you Buzz Rothfield in disguise or what?

Do you think this 4 Nations has been a success off the field from a management and marketing perspective? All the hype that has been generated has been from the closeness of the games but almost none from those managing the tournament. The NRL's current marketing team are crap

insert.pause

First Grade
Given they got 48k in Brisbane for the opening games it hasn't been all bad, however Melbourne should have been targeted a long way out and advertised in the same manner.

Profits of the tournament are divided between the three top tier nations and Samoa are paid an appearance fee, so perhaps on a cost benefit analysis a big marketing budget wasn't feasible. But even on little money they should have done the small things better. Scheduling was the biggest problem imo, dates weren't finalised early enough for traveling supporters and the tournament started too late after the season ended to build momentum, the Australia games should have been scheduled on consecutive Saturday nights to build a tv audience as well, negating the lack of promotion by the host broadcasters.

Timmah

Staff member
Do you think this 4 Nations has been a success off the field from a management and marketing perspective? All the hype that has been generated has been from the closeness of the games but almost none from those managing the tournament. The NRL's current marketing team are crap

I think it's been reasonable for a post-season tournament. Significant interest, ratings still easily outdoing rival codes (even on GEM). Crowds have been positive, I think 20k in AFL-mad Melbourne is a good effort, Brisbane's double header crowd was great and Whangarei nearly selling out is good news as well. Two more opportunities for a good crowd - I think Wollongong is obviously a concern tonight (should've been at Allianz or even Newcastle if not for the A-League) but ultimately it's been relatively successful.

I know we're all close to the game in here and want it to better but the rubbishing at literally every turn in here gets so bloody tiresome.

POPEYE

Coach
I think it's been reasonable for a post-season tournament. Significant interest, ratings still easily outdoing rival codes (even on GEM). Crowds have been positive, I think 20k in AFL-mad Melbourne is a good effort, Brisbane's double header crowd was great and Whangarei nearly selling out is good news as well. Two more opportunities for a good crowd - I think Wollongong is obviously a concern tonight (should've been at Allianz or even Newcastle if not for the A-League) but ultimately it's been relatively successful.

I know we're all close to the game in here and want it to better but the rubbishing at literally every turn in here gets so bloody tiresome.

What's getting tiresome is supporters being expected to take games seriously at the end of a drawn out season when key players don't, or are not that their best. The people taking it seriously are those countries maligned by the NRL so we have double jeopardy

The NRL needs to regard International Rugby League as a saviour of the game and get smarter

pHyR3

Juniors
What's getting tiresome is supporters being expected to take games seriously at the end of a drawn out season when key players don't, or are not that their best. The people taking it seriously are those countries maligned by the NRL so we have double jeopardy

The NRL needs to regard International Rugby League as a saviour of the game and get smarter

definitely a problem.

i hope that the NRL will market international RL and SOO quite heavily in the next deal to prop up the value of a shortened NRL season. 20 rounds with 18 teams perhaps. So 180 games as opposed to 192 games now. Also cut out bs like all stars, and mid season oz vs nz tests, then schedule SOO/rep footy like this.

Week 1: 9 nrl games
Week 2: SOO + round 1 of pacific cup, u20s origin
Week 3: 5 nrl games
Week 4: SOO + round 2 of pacific cup, city country and other rep footy
Week 5: 4 nrl games
week 6: SOO 3 on the sunday, final of pacific cup and other footy
Week 7: 9 nrl games

Also, no thursday or monday night footy in this period.

Chook Norris

First Grade

Looks about 20k out of 30 tbh

Latest posts