What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

insert.pause

First Grade
Hope it's at least 20, it's a bit strange Auckland don't get a game in the tournament, NZvENG would have got over 30k at Eden park I would have thought. Good for the game in NZ though.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Hope it's at least 20, it's a bit strange Auckland don't get a game in the tournament, NZvENG would have got over 30k at Eden park I would have thought. Good for the game in NZ though.
This. Don't know what they were thinking.. But after tonights game I'd expect Dunedin to be thrilled with what RL has to offer!

Chook Norris

First Grade
15,836 is the official crowd and a vastly underwhelming one. Great game but it deserved much more. 15k out of a stadium seating 30k is a fail

I've no idea how big the crowd will be tomorrow but will it even crack that?

pcpp

Juniors
15,836 is the official crowd and a vastly underwhelming one. Great game but it deserved much more. 15k out of a stadium seating 30k is a fail

I've no idea how big the crowd will be tomorrow but will it even crack that?

That's abysmal - even less than the Samoa game last week.

I guess Dunedin definitely pushed themselves out any chance of hosting a big match in the 2017 RLWC.

I doubt we'll see anywhere near that tomorrow - no news anywhere about ticket sales but I think 10k wouldn't be too far off the mark.

insert.pause

First Grade
disappointing and can't understand why they would take it there without an expectation of getting close to 30k, must have been a big cheque Dunedin wrote to get the game over Auckland.

Auckland not getting a game in the tournament is a strange decision because with decent marketing they would have got at least 30k at eden park.

Considering the other venues that bid and got games I think they may be looking ahead to the WC because there wouldn't be too many more opportunities for tests before 2017. Whereas Eden Park gets 9's and a couple of warriors games and ANZAC tests every so often.

Last edited:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
disappointing and can't understand why they would take it there without an expectation of getting close to 30k, must have been a big cheque Dunedin wrote to get the game over Auckland.

Auckland not getting a game in the tournament is a strange decision because with decent marketing they would have got at least 30k at eden park.

Sure, but this is typical of league short term thinking.

There is much to be gained in national noteriety in playing games in Dunedin and Wellington rather than always tapping into Auckland each time. You have to start somewhere, 15k is not bad, and if you do it right:

(a) you have more bidders for the future games, driving up potential revenue

(b) you take some pressure off the Auckland fans and they will be more eager to attend future internationals for lack thereof.

(c) you are spreading the game to new audiences in the south

Union do this well.

I can't praise the organisers of the 4N this year enough. The choice of venues is perfect.

insert.pause

First Grade
Sure, but this is typical of league short term thinking.

There is much to be gained in national noteriety in playing games in Dunedin and Wellington rather than always tapping into Auckland each time. You have to start somewhere, 15k is not bad, and if you do it right:

(a) you have more bidders for the future games, driving up potential revenue

(b) you take some pressure off the Auckland fans and they will be more eager to attend future internationals for lack thereof.

(c) you are spreading the game to new audiences in the south

Union do this well.

I can't praise the organisers of the 4N this year enough. The choice of venues is perfect.

yeah i edited my post to mention all that.

Latest posts