What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
More bays with people in them than last year, general admission bays not brilliant even though they were sold. Members also sparce. Great crowd, hopefully they start to grow as cowboys should be a 45k+.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
42,303 and 15,120... just under half the total aggregate of last week's games.

wests1

Juniors
Will be interesting to see how it plays out tomorrow down here in Melbourne. Storm averaged 16k last year, if they can consolidate that, it means they've got a foothold.
It'll be the first storm game I haven't attended in three years (despite the fact I'm a wests tigers member).

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
The Storm really should have higher crowds than the Victory. After 15 years they should be the clear #1 non AFL team in Melbourne.

Canard

Immortal
More bays with people in them than last year, general admission bays not brilliant even though they were sold. Members also sparce. Great crowd, hopefully they start to grow as cowboys should be a 45k+.

What's even more amazing is that this crowd turns up to watch a game that one of the worst teams in the NRL competes.

Imagine for a second if the Cowboys were half decent what the crowd would be like???

Jamberoo

Juniors
The Storm really should have higher crowds than the Victory. After 15 years they should be the clear #1 non AFL team in Melbourne.
there are two differences.
1. Soccer is played in summer.
2. Storm has hardly built any interest outside of those with a NSW/QLD/NZ background (like myself).
I have a dozen or so mates who are members of AFL clubs and would go to 10 - 15 AFL matches per year. Half of them also go to Victory games, but, in 15 years, I have not been able to convince even one of them to come to a single Storm match. Best I can do is my dad who is from NSW and my UK born brother-in-law. I have never met anyone at a Storm match who doesn't have that background.
Victorians simply do not understand the game. Most say they prefer Union, but don't follow the Rebels either. Everyone understands soccer.
AFL is so dominant here that there is no time/opportunity for AFL fans to get into the RL if you are already spending $100 to take the family to the MCG each week.
Having said that, a game last week would have drawn a decent crowd. And prices just a fraction lower would also help.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Broncos v Cowboys was basically a sell out. Should be moved to ANZ.

Can you please explain to me how a crowd more than 10,000 short of capacity is "basically a sellout"?

Yeah, but no. The enormous European (Greek, Italian etc) culture in Melbourne loves it's football and Victory (and to a far lesser extent the Heart) have tapped into that. The Storm still really only appeal to the Anglo & Pacific types.

I'm not the one instigating discussion of A-League crowds in the NRL forum. If the A-League is (supposedly) shit and irrelevant why do people constantly feel the need to compare crowds?

If you want to limit the discussion to here, fine. But the open slather by journos, bloggers and fans across ALL social media including this forum has been to grab last week's Sydney Derby crowd and pit it against any matter of NRL R1 games.

Now, just seven days later, the shoe's on the other foot and suddenly they've all got an excuse again?

Like you, I love both codes and I'm sick of the pissing contest - they each have enormous strengths to build on... but you're naive if you think it's not going to be given back in spades after the stupid hysteria of last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.