What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC_fan

Coach
are you kidding ?:sarcasm:

the Tits won't get to within a Bulls roar of 19K
a Tigers outfit heading for the spoon
a warm sunny day with the beach just down the road

I'll say 12,000 will pull it up
if they get to 15,000 we should all stand & applaud :?

It's the Titans opening home game for the season. So why shouldn't they match that figure?

We shouldn't accept poor crowds to our games. If fans say they love our game so much then they have to show it by attending matches.

georgesnmith

Juniors
It's only obvious if you can see both sides of the ground. Members sit on the side of the ground that you can't see on tv unless they pan the canera that way. So very hard you for those at home to guess properly because you tend to be assuming the crowd looks the sane both sides of the field.

nah meant suns and GWS crowds were blown up.

Dave smith wants true figures for league, i believe our figures are spot on

if anything i suspect a couple of clubs deliberately under-report their crowds

Dogs Of War

Coach
Will agre that afl tends to be easier to see the correct crowd as the camera pans 360 much more often. Don't know how they claim a ground record when the bulldogs sold the place out (when it onky held 22k). Now it's an all seater it's much easier to see that figure the afl quoted was rubbish. There should have been some stands packed to the rafters and I saw no evidence of that in the few times I flicked away from the f1 to checkout the crowd ( I blame twitter for making me flick over @orangeemptyseat)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Went to aami for first time last night. Lovely stadium with great viewing and good atmosphere. In typical Australian architecture style they've put a roof on it that doesn't give any protection to half the most expensive seats in the ground! $60 to sit in the rain not good. Have to say the Storm crowd really get into it and the amount of merch people wear at games here is huge.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Will agre that afl tends to be easier to see the correct crowd as the camera pans 360 much more often. Don't know how they claim a ground record when the bulldogs sold the place out (when it onky held 22k). Now it's an all seater it's much easier to see that figure the afl quoted was rubbish. There should have been some stands packed to the rafters and I saw no evidence of that in the few times I flicked away from the f1 to checkout the crowd ( I blame twitter for making me flick over @orangeemptyseat)

first time i switched over the stands were all empty during the lightning storm and i thought there were only 200 there lol

couldnt believe they had a lightning break for like 20 - 30 mins i live nearby it wasnt that bad.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Went to aami for first time last night. Lovely stadium with great viewing and good atmosphere. In typical Australian architecture style they've put a roof on it that doesn't give any protection to half the most expensive seats in the ground! $60 to sit in the rain not good. Have to say the Storm crowd really get into it and the amount of merch people wear at games here is huge.

that was an excellent game of rugby league to watch, i wish i was there live to see it

best game of the year

seanoff

Juniors
It's the Titans opening home game for the season. So why shouldn't they match that figure?

We shouldn't accept poor crowds to our games. If fans say they love our game so much then they have to show it by attending matches.

the Titans will announce a crowd. Whether that crowd is based on reality or some imaginary figure, or what they think they should get is anyones guess.

they announced crowds last year that were in the words of DC Fan, "nonsense". there was one crowd announced by the Tits last year that was at least double the actual attendance. :lol:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Ive only been there the once in 2012, but i find AAMI to be a really different experience than any other league ground (ive never made it to suncorp, that might be comparable). Because of the AFL influence on the locals, everyone packs out the north and south ends, even if the sides are only sparsely populated.

This makes the atmosphere just amazing!! The fully enclosed stands really hold in the sound, unlike any Sydney stadium.

seanoff

Juniors
Maybe it's time for the NRL as a whole to take a good hard look at what the AFL has done to raise memberships / crowds etc and start doing it themselves...if they haven't already.

People here don't want to do what the AFL did years ago to improve crowds. standing on a grassy bank in the rain is one of the greatest sporting spectator experiences of all time. and of course league can only be enjoyed in tumbledown suburban ovals with a sardine capacity of 20000. some people want games at Belmore ffs. one stand, a hill with light towers at the front, and a hay shed. RIGHT.

crowds improved in Melbourne for the AFL after they went to 2 modern, all seater, stadiums and made the spectator experience comfortable.

yes there was lots of bleating there too. but the people have voted with their bums. they'd prefer to watch games while they are comfortable. I suspect they are not alone. ;-) i can't say i blame them, a wet, windy, icy cold day standing at the Western Oval (which was about = to Brookie) v indoors at Etihad with every spectator facility known to man. i know my preference.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ive only been there the once in 2012, but i find AAMI to be a really different experience than any other league ground (ive never made it to suncorp, that might be comparable). Because of the AFL influence on the locals, everyone packs out the north and south ends, even if the sides are only sparsely populated.

This makes the atmosphere just amazing!! The fully enclosed stands really hold in the sound, unlike any Sydney stadium.

Yep was same last night, we got sick of being rained on in our expensive wet seats and moved to behind the sticks, nice and dry and the atmosphere was brilliant. As close to an English atmosphere as I have heard here. They got the roof spot on at the ends and totally wrong along the sidelines. Given the seats behind sticks are half the price, guaranteed dry and keep the noise in I now know why it is always full at the ends and empty along the sides at AAMI!

georgesnmith

Juniors

suncorp is the best rugby league ground ive been too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
suncorp is the best rugby league ground ive been too.

I'd rate aami on par when not raining! In fact for smaller crowds aami is better, anything under 20k in suncorp can seem a bit anz like but aami is quite a compact ground so even last night with just 14k the atmosphere was brilliant. Having said that for big games suncorp is the best.

Canard

Immortal
I'd rate aami on par when not raining! In fact for smaller crowds aami is better, anything under 20k in suncorp can seem a bit anz like but aami is quite a compact ground so even last night with just 14k the atmosphere was brilliant. Having said that for big games suncorp is the best.

I always sit on the second tier as frankly it's a better view, and water proof, which is important in Melbourne during winter. The steepness of the stands means you can see the entire ground perfectly.

I've never understood why seating at ground level is considered to be the premium spot.

You only need a crowd of 12k for that place to have a great atmosphere.

I too like you am constantly amazed by the amount merch worn by Storm fans.

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
People here don't want to do what the AFL did years ago to improve crowds. standing on a grassy bank in the rain is one of the greatest sporting spectator experiences of all time. and of course league can only be enjoyed in tumbledown suburban ovals with a sardine capacity of 20000. some people want games at Belmore ffs. one stand, a hill with light towers at the front, and a hay shed. RIGHT.

crowds improved in Melbourne for the AFL after they went to 2 modern, all seater, stadiums and made the spectator experience comfortable.

yes there was lots of bleating there too. but the people have voted with their bums. they'd prefer to watch games while they are comfortable. I suspect they are not alone. ;-) i can't say i blame them, a wet, windy, icy cold day standing at the Western Oval (which was about = to Brookie) v indoors at Etihad with every spectator facility known to man. i know my preference.
Wouldn't really bother me. But then I like the atmosphere of a packed suburban ground, bit more genuine.

But I'm not the sort of person they'd be targetting, I'm already a fan who isn't too fussed over the weather or comfort or whatever. If you're attracting new, bigger crowds to the games you absolutely need to move towards the modern grounds.

And it's not like it's going to be an overnight process. Hell the AFL took 40 odd years to transition fully to big grounds (Richmond first left Punt Rd in 1964 or so, slowly teams started to play more and more out of MCG/Waverly, playing less and less games at their home ground, then the 90's Essendon left Windy Hill, Saints left Moorabbin, Collingwood left Vic Park and Bulldogs left their ground and the Carlton in 05).

It's already begun. Tigers playing some games at ANZ/SFS over the years, Dragons now with a split, Parramatta shifting a couple to ANZ etc. They just won't really fund upgrades to suburban grounds (esp Leichhardt and, I'd imagine, Brookie). It's a little different because of the massive geographic size of Sydney and the difficulty of getting around the middle of the city, but slowly, slowly the shift will begin to happen

Storm crowd yesterday was the highest ever against the Panthers in Melbourne. Would've likely been more had it not been for the forecast/conditions.

The Storm and RL are really growing down there. I won't be surprised to see the Storm average 20,000 crowds in 2-3 years time.

Storm crowd yesterday was the highest ever against the Panthers in Melbourne. Would've likely been more had it not been for the forecast/conditions.

The Storm and RL are really growing down there. I won't be surprised to see the Storm average 20,000 crowds in 2-3 years time.

Good sign for the storm if they can continue to increase there attendence for low drawing teams. Every team must increase there low crowd base against the poor drawers and attendence will increase overall.

There must be incentive to get support to the low draw games. For example, roosters vs Cowboys in sydney make a buy 1 bring a mate deal for the occasion since its one of the lowest drawing games ever in the nrl.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Yep was same last night, we got sick of being rained on in our expensive wet seats and moved to behind the sticks, nice and dry and the atmosphere was brilliant. As close to an English atmosphere as I have heard here. They got the roof spot on at the ends and totally wrong along the sidelines. Given the seats behind sticks are half the price, guaranteed dry and keep the noise in I now know why it is always full at the ends and empty along the sides at AAMI!
AAMI is brilliant.
Yes, we always sit behind the sticks - much cheaper. We got front row for last year's final and for the the first time the wife & kids said they really enjoyed a game of RL - they loved the cheerleaders (AFL has none), fire/explosions after a score (AFL has none) and being so close to the action (you are so far away from the play @ MCG).
I know these distractions are not what RL is really about, and is a bit American, but it creates a point of difference from AFL, and concentrating on kids is the best (long term) way to increase crowds. That match day experience has sparked a bit of interest in my 11yo son, and whilst he will probably always prefer AFL, he will now watch a bit of RL on TV, and is keen to go to a few more matches this season.
They biggest crowd the Storm have there was the final round of 2010 when they were paying for no point, and they had free entry to the last match to thank the fans. They should do that the last round of every season to let people experience how good AAMI is.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
the Titans will announce a crowd. Whether that crowd is based on reality or some imaginary figure, or what they think they should get is anyones guess.

they announced crowds last year that were in the words of DC Fan, "nonsense". there was one crowd announced by the Tits last year that was at least double the actual attendance. :lol:

You think any Suns crowd is 'based in reality'? Honestly, I would really like to know.

Burns

First Grade
Welp, there is a massive thunderstorm warning for Newcastle at the morning, expected to hit around 4pm. Won't help the crowd number, expecting around 15k myself.

I always sit on the second tier as frankly it's a better view, and water proof, which is important in Melbourne during winter. The steepness of the stands means you can see the entire ground perfectly.

I've never understood why seating at ground level is considered to be the premium spot.

You only need a crowd of 12k for that place to have a great atmosphere.

I too like you am constantly amazed by the amount merch worn by Storm fans.

Agreed .
Went to Melb last yr in AUG (timed it for when Sorm V Souths was on).
On the train there were about 12 RL fans ..a few Rabbitohs,about 8-9 Storm & me a neutral with a Cowboys hoodie on.
They all had jerseys ,beanies & scarves.
The rest of the train about 25-30 was AFL ,mainly Hawthorn,& they had either beanies or scarves or both.
They dont seem to get into the merchandise as much as RL fans ,& the scarves thing seems to be very popular in Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts