What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If you're gonna identify an outlier for the Roosters, it's ANZAC Day you f**king imbecile.
Same thing. Point is every team has outliers to then say "team x without an outlier is the same as team y with an outlier" like it means anything is ridiculous.

After 12 games we had a historic record breaking crowd average for the 2013 season. End of story.

t-ba

Post Whore
Someone has read Malcolm Gladwell recently...

...Over 20k would be nice for an average this round but it's not happening. Oh well, hopefully the crowds pick up. The one weekend I know I'm in Sydney this year and the bloody Sea Eagles are playing in Auckland!

Valheru

Coach
Same thing. Point is every team has outliers to then say "team x without an outlier is the same as team y with an outlier" like it means anything is ridiculous.

After 12 games we had a historic record breaking crowd average for the 2013 season. End of story.

Are you denying that hosting what was effectively a one game playoff for the minor prmeiership against your most hated rivals helped the average?

This year you get that rematch in round 1 as well as the Good Friday game.

Danish

Referee
If you're gonna identify an outlier for the Roosters, it's ANZAC Day you f**king imbecile.

I wouldn't consider ANZAC day to be an outlier for either the Roosters or the Dragons. The game has been going on for over a decade and has drawn a massive crowd the whole time.

The Souths vs Roosters game would certainly be an outlier given it is far higher than the average attendance for that game at ANZ stadium.

LJC

Juniors
I personally think the tigers v saints game will outdraw dogs and broncos.

I have a sneaky suspicion the West Tigers are in for a good year. East Sydney V South Sydney will draw a big crowd if the weather is good.

Not sure about Bulldogs V Broncos game: Both clubs are disliked for the way they have behaved in the past. I still don't think the Bulldogs have been apologetic enough about their role in the Super league war and the Broncos greedily hold on to their monopoly of Brisbane by deflecting talk of a new QLD club to be from areas other than the Brisbane metro area! Both clubs should be ashamed of their stance in these instances!

I might add to the rant and believe that Monday night football should be replaced by Sunday night football for the whole season except for long weekends!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Are you denying that hosting what was effectively a one game playoff for the minor prmeiership against your most hated rivals helped the average?

This year you get that rematch in round 1 as well as the Good Friday game.

And last year we didn't have round 1 or Good Friday. Nor did we have any Sunday arvo at ANZ.

Having round 1 and Good Friday will balance out not having a minor premiership playoff in round 26. And I bet our 2014 avg is higher than our 2013 avg.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Looking at some other teams from last year:

Penrith had their lowest crowds since 1998.
Dragons had their 3rd lowest crowds since the merger.
Wests had their lowest since their merge.

If those 3 teams manage to have better years we should reverse the overall losses in 2013 and get back to 2012 levels at least.

ek999

First Grade
I have a sneaky suspicion the West Tigers are in for a good year. East Sydney V South Sydney will draw a big crowd if the weather is good.

Not sure about Bulldogs V Broncos game: Both clubs are disliked for the way they have behaved in the past. I still don't think the Bulldogs have been apologetic enough about their role in the Super league war and the Broncos greedily hold on to their monopoly of Brisbane by deflecting talk of a new QLD club to be from areas other than the Brisbane metro area! Both clubs should be ashamed of their stance in these instances!

I might add to the rant and believe that Monday night football should be replaced by Sunday night football for the whole season except for long weekends!

Bulldogs and Broncos not very well liked? Let's look at the number of 20k plus crowd matches each team played in last year

Home, Away, Total
Broncos 12, 1, 13
Souths 5, 6, 11
Bulldogs 5, 5, 10
Roosters 3, 4, 7
Warriors 3, 3, 6
Melbourne 2, 4, 6
Dragons 0, 5, 5
Knights 4, 1, 5
Eels 1, 3, 4
Tigers 1, 3, 4
Titans 2, 1, 3
Sharks 1, 1, 2
Manly 1, 2, 3
Cowboys 0, 1, 1
Raiders 0, 0, 0
Panthers 0, 0, 0

Either the Bulldogs fans are good at attending away matches or opposition fans don't have a problem watching them play. Of those 5 away matches with 20k plus crowds, 3 were ARL teams (the other 2 being Brisbane and Warriors). All 5 home matches over 20k were also against ARL teams too. Broncos are got more than 20k to every single match, with an average of over 30k, in a season they were never really in contention for.

Also interesting that Dragons draw significantly better when playing away then at home.

BunniesMan

Immortal
A lot of that Dragons stat would be explained by them playing in tiny stadiums. Their partial move to big stadiums should allow for several 20k crowds.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Lol statements like the above, by a Raiders fan no less never fail to amuse me. Firstly I have never been to a roosters home game outside of the ANZAC clash where opposition fans have outnumbered us.

Even ignoring personal experience and buying into the opinion of a deluded Raisers fan for a second, we are supposed to believe that Roosters home games against big Sydney teams are ?boosted? by a 33/66 split in the favour of the away team. This means that these big Sydney clubs are continually bringing well over 10k to our games but can?t be bothered to turn up to any other way game or indeed their own home games.

Opposition fans must really love watching the roosters

The crowd will be the roosters fault of course. It isn?t our home game and souths won?t get a higher regular season crowd this year with the exception of Good Friday and their alleged 25k plus members won?t turn up to most games but it will still be our fault.

:lol:

3 days later & I've still got Roosters fans spitting chips

oh Mercy :lol::lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wouldn't consider ANZAC day to be an outlier for either the Roosters or the Dragons. The game has been going on for over a decade and has drawn a massive crowd the whole time.

The Souths vs Roosters game would certainly be an outlier given it is far higher than the average attendance for that game at ANZ stadium.

Oh, completely agree, just pointing out what an outlier would be for the Roosters *if* you had to pick one.

That's the biggest load of tripe I've ever read. Canterbury and Brisbane are the two most-attended NRL clubs in Australia over the past five years.

Valheru

Coach
And last year we didn't have round 1 or Good Friday. Nor did we have any Sunday arvo at ANZ.
Having round 1 and Good Friday will balance out not having a minor premiership playoff in round 26. And I bet our 2014 avg is higher than our 2013 avg

Oh I see now, when souths get to host the opener which this year includes 1 V 2 from last season and the Good Friday game it merely “balances” things out.

When the roosters get the first game and ANZAC day it is a clear indication of our average getting bumped up by opposition fans despite our averages at times being better in years we don’t host those games.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Oh I see now, when souths get to host the opener which this year includes 1 V 2 from last season and the Good Friday game it merely ?balances? things out.

When the roosters get the first game and ANZAC day it is a clear indication of our average getting bumped up by opposition fans despite our averages at times being better in years we don?t host those games.

No. I'm saying our outliers more or less balance your outliers so the fact that our average has been higher than yours for years is statistical proof our crowds are better than yours.

ek999

First Grade
Tigers playing on a SUnday arvo. Better off going to the match if you can so you don't need to listen to Gus ramble on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts