What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

undertaker

Coach
If they want to charge a premium price, they need to offer a premium experience, and Jessica Mauboy is hardly that.

This

Upper level 6 at ANZ is a joke, i've sat up there once and never again. Had to go home and re-watch the game on TV just to see what went on, I know a lot will disagree with me but sorry I think that goes for pretty much all of level 6 at ANZ. Too high and too far.

This.

I sat in level 4 at the 2001 GF and it wasn't too bad. Although far from the action, at least you could still see the players. I could see all the Knights' tries very clearly.

I sat in level 6 at the 2002 GF (which my dad's friend won tickets to) and all the players looked like small dots from up there (even sitting parallel to the half-way line). I definitely wouldn't have paid to sit in those seats (even though the price of those seats was much cheaper back then compared to now).

No, the lack of Parra meant 2009 wasn't beaten.

Parra is the most supported side in Sydney, they just have no soul, hence the bandwagon tendencies.

The other big pullers, St George, Tigers, Souths, Bulldogs have not much more than 30,000 fans max.

Souths pulled extra to make in 71k in last year because it was their first grand final qualifier since unlimited tackle.

Without Parra, no game will pull more than 60-65k.

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever read in this thread. You really need to pull your finger out of your bum. You either must be Haynetrain's illegitimate twin brother or sharing the same scriptwriter.

Last edited:

Dragons01

First Grade
Really do people go for the entertainment or the game? 2010 I can't even remember who was on before the game or at half time.

If I want to see a particular artist perform I will go to one of their concerts. I don't think the entertainment makes much difference to crowd numbers.

guyver78

Juniors
Don't forget the 7.15pm kick off time. 5pm would have much more user friendly for attending fans.

I think the time change has impacted on out of town fans for sure!

The game deserves a sellout and it will be a great match but timeslot issues and significant price increases look to embarrass the NRL in 2013.

Just out of curiosity WHY do you think this game DESERVES a sellout??? Do you think the NRL deserves $350 a ticket?

I know in the end it's just about supply & demand but there comes a time where you have to ask yourself is a 2 hour rugby league game worth $350..

What will be more interesting next year is Origin ticket prices. People don't generally want to part ways with $350 for a ticket and if they do it will be a once off only if their team makes the grand final. Most people are a lot more attached to their footy club then they are to their state team so It'll be interesting tt see how they're going to sell Origin out especially in Sydney charging those similar prices.

guyver78

Juniors
But $160 for them? No thanks.

If they want to charge a premium price, they need to offer a premium experience, and Jessica Mauboy is hardly that.

Exactly right, it's not like they have Madonna performing at halftime as was the case in the Superbowl 2 years ago.

Dragons01

First Grade
I have to be honest if it was Saints there this Sunday then I would pay the $350 to watch them play. Nothing can beat being there on GF day when your team is playing.

guyver78

Juniors
I have to be honest if it was Saints there this Sunday then I would pay the $350 to watch them play. Nothing can beat being there on GF day when your team is playing.

Ok fair enough but would you pay $350 to watch NSW (assuming you go for NSW) play??

undertaker

Coach

Dragons01

First Grade
Ok fair enough but would you pay $350 to watch NSW (assuming you go for NSW) play??

No I would not pay the $350 to watch an Origin game but I see that as completely different to watching the team I have followed since a kid and love with a passion play in a GF. (Especially as it usually a long time between appearances :)).

guyver78

Juniors
No I would not pay the $350 to watch an Origin game but I see that as completely different to watching the team I have followed since a kid and love with a passion play in a GF. (Especially as it usually a long time between appearances :)).

That was exactly my point people are generally a lot more attached to their footy team then they are to their state so it will be interesting to see how ticket sales go at those prices for game 2 next year.

Frailty

First Grade
and its not like they are asking $1500 for cheap seats like at the superbowl!

Cheapest seats at the Super Bowl this year was $500. The most expensive available? $1250.
Good luck for your future blatant lies.

Prices for 2014 are going up though - $650 - $2600.

Springs

First Grade
That's not even an issue. As much as I hate both teams, it will be a good game. I stayed after the Sharks-Cows game for them and it was a great game (though it could have been the multiple beers I had consumed).

But $160 for them? No thanks.

Of course it's an issue. Two of the most hated teams in Sydney that most are sick of watching in Grand Finals. How many neutrals pay to see that compared to a Souths-Easts GF? I'm an Eels fan and I got a ticket back in July hoping for that.

And I don't give a shit about Mauboy or Ricky Martin or whatever. I go there for the footy not to watch a singer.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Of course it's an issue. Two of the most hated teams in Sydney that most are sick of watching in Grand Finals. How many neutrals pay to see that compared to a Souths-Easts GF? I'm an Eels fan and I got a ticket back in July hoping for that.

And I don't give a shit about Mauboy or Ricky Martin or whatever. I go there for the footy not to watch a singer.

This

Frailty

First Grade

I was saying to me it wasn't an issue. In the context of the discussion, I was saying that didn't go into my evaluation that the ticket price wasn't worth it.

Frailty

First Grade

Undoubtedly, the game should always be the centrepiece. But it's also got to be a major event.

The NRL is using the same model as what the NSWRL were doing in the 80s. But now we do it at night time and charge a lot more for it (even taking CPI into account).

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The singers i couldn't give a toss about, but the grand final precinct with team themed bars etc..... sounds awesome.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
2011 Grand Final
Manly vs. Warriors - 81,988

2010 Grand Final
Roosters vs. Dragons – 82,334

2008 Grand Final
Manly vs. Melbourne – 80,388

2007 Grand Final
Manly vs. Melbourne – 81,392

2004 Grand Final
Rooster vs. Canterbury – 82,127

2003 Grand Final
Rooster vs. Penrith – 81,166

2002 Grand Final
Roosters vs. Warriors – 80,130

2000 Grand Final
Roosters vs. Brisbane – 94,277

To all those complaining about 2 hated teams with small fan bases playing; well they haven't had much trouble selling tickets to their previous grand finals, most of which have been against out of town and/or other hated clubs. If this game doesn't break the 80,000 mark, it's not because of the teams it is clearly because of the price. If they sell it out then good luck to them, but if not then it was clearly an epic failure.

Personally, I can't afford the ticket prices at this point in time. I went to all 3 Manly grand finals in 07, 08 and 11, but a $105 (or 275%) increase to what I payed in 2011 to sit behind the posts is too steep for me right now, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts