What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

MsStorm

Bench
your right i didn't! I said there seemed to GENERALLY be MORE passion for AFl in Melbourne than RL in Sydney. As born out by people willing to get off their sofas and support their team. We can talk about stadia, transport, ticket prices etc etc but ultimately it comes down to "can i be bothered to go out today and watch a game".

What also helps is the media/radio continually talk up afl, always put a positive spin on each game and the code, people want to feel involved with their teams.

Plus people in Melbourne don't get so pissed off with their teams if they are losing like they seem to do in NSW.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never been to Canberra, but watching games on telly, the stadium looks to have very little shelter for supporters...where its even colder than Melbourne.

yeh always seems strange to me that they wouldn't build a cosy English style stadium for the coldest city in the country!

MsStorm

Bench
I thought about 11k. The wind was what was killing me.. then walking walking to Crown it was tempting to jump in the Yarra just to get out of the wind!

Well, almost. Think in the long term it wouldn't have been helpful. But it was awful! Dont know how Kiwi's handle it..

On the subject of Kiwis, and watching the Warriors on tv, there is very little shelter for their supporters as in Canberra and Melbourne.

We don't get too many posts in this thread from Warrior fans. I wonder how they feel about a their stadium.
Their crowds have been really good this year, even though they have struggled on field.

MsStorm

Bench
i dont get why people are constantly suprised by the crap crowds on monday nite. monday nite footy is meant for tv, it's that simple.

I've been trying to tell everyone that for months:D

Be glad that there's footy on on a monday night...many supporters of other codes have a squizz at the games, plus it gets much needed $$$$$'s in the nrl coffers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
i dont get why people are constantly suprised by the crap crowds on monday nite. monday nite footy is meant for tv, it's that simple.
Monday nights have been successful before in terms of crowds, especially at ANZ Stadium. On a cold & wet Monday night back in April the Dogs and Souths managed 19,000 from memory, and would've probably pushed 24-25k had the weather not gone pear-shaped. The Tigers and Eels I think drew 22-23k last year as well.

The potential's there, the marketing isn't.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Timmah.. What are you expecting the crowd to be on Sunday (Souths vs Dogs)? I'm thinking about attending even though i don't support either team as i believe it will be a great day out.

I think Manly v Tigers on Monday could draw a decent crowd as well.

yobbo84

Coach
Piss poor crowd. In all honesty I'd be suprised if there were more than 500 Roosters supporters there. But more Souths supporters should have come out.

On a side note, I have no idea why Monday games don't start at 7:30pm. Working in the city it's bloody hard to get there on time. Nobody knocks off at 5pm these days!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Souths v Dogs should be a cracker crowd-wise... or at least it should be.

My predictions R21:

Dragons v Storm @ WIN Jubilee - 17,500
Titans v Cowboys @ Skilled - 22,000
Raiders v Broncos @ Canberra - 11,000
Panthers v Warriors @ CUA - 9,800
Knights v Roosters @ EAS - 14,000
Sharks v Eels @ Toyota - 13,500
Rabbitohs v Bulldogs @ ANZ - 28,000
Tigers v Sea Eagles @ SFS - 10,800

Total 126,600
Avg 15,825

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Timmah i can guarantee you that Penrith v Warriors will get more than 9,800. Will be closer to 14k/15k. Half of Mt.Druitt turns out for the Warriors game.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
3 pretty poor years for the Penrith team though. Currently sitting in 6th fans will come out. Hopefully we can get near the 20k we got against the Warriors in 2003, i doubt we will get that much though!

ChrisCryptic

Juniors
Last years Warriors game was 2pm Sunday on a picture perfect day too...
There was ~8,500 at the Panthers/Raiders game a week back (wasn't too cold then though), so I would expect about 13 for this.

yobbo84

Coach
If Sunday is a fine sunny day Souths v Dogs should be pushing 30-35k. It's Souths first Sunday home game at ANZ, and the Dogs fans always come out. Not to mention a massive game in terms of our finals aspirations.

buster bunny

Juniors
Monday nights have been successful before in terms of crowds, especially at ANZ Stadium. On a cold & wet Monday night back in April the Dogs and Souths managed 19,000 from memory, and would've probably pushed 24-25k had the weather not gone pear-shaped. The Tigers and Eels I think drew 22-23k last year as well.

The potential's there, the marketing isn't.

While that was a good crowd considering the weather it did have a number of things that made it different to a usual monday game. It was on Easter Monday and was on next door to the Easter show. Also Souths fans do tend to go to away games more than a lot of other clubs plus all souths ticketed members had that game incorporated into the membership which encourage even more away fans than a normal game.

As much as Monday night is great if you're watching it on tv I still think they should only have it on a few times a year or at the very least spread them around all clubs. Its not fair that some clubs get quite a few while some rarely get one.

As for last night it was a disappointing but I remember complaining when the draw was released that scheduling the game on a monday night rather than a sunday arvo would result in a poor crowd. That was even before I realised yesterdays game was also after the first day of a new school term. Hardly encourages families with kids to the game.

Chook Norris

First Grade
My predictions R21:

Dragons v Storm @ WIN Jubilee - 16.5k
Titans v Cowboys @ Skilled - 23k
Raiders v Broncos @ Canberra - 10k
Panthers v Warriors @ CUA - 9.5k
Knights v Roosters @ EAS - 14k
Sharks v Eels @ Toyota - 13.5k
Rabbitohs v Bulldogs @ ANZ - 29k (feel a bit too optimistic for some reason)
Tigers v Sea Eagles @ SFS - 12k

Avg: 15,937

dogz08

First Grade
Dragons v Storm 17k
Titans v Cowboys 24k
Raiders v Broncos 10k
Panthers v Warriors 14k
Knights v Roosters 13k
Sharks v Eels 12k
Rabbitohs v Bulldogs 25k
Tigers v Sea Eagles 12k

dragondad

First Grade
Dragons v Storm 16k
Titans v Cowboys 23k
Raiders v Broncos 9k
Panthers v Warriors 12k
Knights v Roosters 14k
Sharks v Eels 13k
Rabbitohs v Bulldogs 29k
Tigers v Sea Eagles 13k

Red Bear

Referee
Dragons v Storm 17.5k
Titans v Cowboys 21k
Raiders v Broncos 10k
Panthers v Warriors 13k
Knights v Roosters 15k
Sharks v Eels 12k
Rabbitohs v Bulldogs 25k
Tigers v Sea Eagles 15k

I thought some people were being a wee bit optimistic with the crowds for the Melbourne game but if Ticketek is any indication ticket sales are going very well. Should beat the previous best Saints home crowd against Melbourne of 13,866.

Latest posts