What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Teddyboy

First Grade
great crowd at CUA...I think Sydney crowds in general have been alot better than expected. Titans and Cowboys have been more dissapointing IMO given that QLD is apparently the new rugby league heartland. Even the smaller crowds in Sydney haven't been anywhere near as bad as previous seasons.

I think we all the hype about Queensland being Rugby League capital has made fans come out to the games in Sydney esp State Of Origin and it's great to see.

Sydney is a mysterious place.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hoping for decent crowds at Brookie and ANZ tonight. Not holding out much hope but we should at least crack 15k for the Doggies one.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Good crowd at Brooky :D

Another two big crowds expected in both tomorrow's game. Who said Sydney crowds were crap!

brad_19

Juniors
Crowds so far this round...

Melb v NQ @ Olympic Park - 10,510
Pen v SGI @ CUA Stadium - 19,987
Man v SS @ Brookvale Oval - 15,702
Bull v Can @ ANZ Stadium - 13,310

Pretty solid overall

brad_19

Juniors
poor crowds for Melbourne and Dogs.. for a top 3 team, 13k is rubbish

I thought our crowd was decent. Not good, but acceptable. There was 55k at the G, and there had been poor weather for most of the day, which would have put a few people off. Oh, and the Cowboys have never been big drawers down here in Melbourne.

Just out of interest, and I'll probably get a better indication from people that were there (Timmah??), but I didn't think the dogs crowd looked like 13k on tv. The wings on the bottom deck didn't look that packed and behind the goals were completely empty...

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
You're too hard on Melbourne Chuck. 10,000 with poor weather, crappy ground, little opposition support and a big AFL game on across the road is very respectable.

MsStorm

Bench
I think this will be close to the mark. The MCC has estimated 78k for the game across the road, which will no doubt effect our turnout as most casual Storm supporters following Carlton or the Cats will be at the G. And yeah, the rain won't help either. Just hoping the fact that two of our boys are playing big milestone games might convince another couple of thousand to come and brave the elements.

The afl game at the G got only 55,000 (expecting 78,000 as you said) so I guess the terrible weather forecast kept a lot of them away too and as you said we do have alot of Carlton/Cats casual supporters.

As it turned out, the rain didn't eventuate...looked terrible during the day though.

dragondad

First Grade
Definately looked like 13k on the tv at ANZ.

Should be 2 big crowds in Sydney today,Parramatta sold out?

Timmah

Staff member
Looked bigger than 13k for mine, the north-west corner was packed.

Timmah

Staff member
For what it's worth:

@ ANZ:
2008 Bulldogs v Raiders 9,845
2007 Bulldogs v Raiders 12,127
2006 Bulldogs v Raiders 12,541

To be fair looking back as far as 1999 it's our best crowd against them excluding finals - and the finals crowd was only 14,000. The Raiders army was probably 50-60 people strong, and there might've been another 50 scattered around the stadium, otherwise, it was all our fans.

STG-MACCA

Bench
I reckon it will be about 16-18k may have a bit too much hope

Yes, was a bit hopefull (maybe should have called it an away match so it was more enjoyable).

Can't agree, the Dogs game was an alright crowd, and from the below facts, they are atleast growing their numbers albeit they are top 2 and last year was a terrible season.

Melbourne is a little overrated for crowds and I'm not a believer of the new stadium bigger crowds thing. The Storm have a loyal bunch of about 11K each week. When teams like St.George, the Dogs etc head down to Melbourne, there is usually 2 or 3K fans that make the trip, this in turn creates a little vibe around town and you draw in the casual observer and possibly 1.2 / 2K more. You won't get this each week, and certainly not for a team from North Queensland

For what it's worth:

@ ANZ:
2008 Bulldogs v Raiders 9,845
2007 Bulldogs v Raiders 12,127
2006 Bulldogs v Raiders 12,541

To be fair looking back as far as 1999 it's our best crowd against them excluding finals - and the finals crowd was only 14,000. The Raiders army was probably 50-60 people strong, and there might've been another 50 scattered around the stadium, otherwise, it was all our fans.

Billythekid

First Grade
Melbourne is a little overrated for crowds and I'm not a believer of the new stadium bigger crowds thing. The Storm have a loyal bunch of about 11K each week.

Overrated? I think pretty much everyone agrees our crowds are nothing special and need to improve.

Until we move out of OP we will struggle to attract casual fans. Why would they want to come to that sh*thole to watch a sport relatively new to them?

I also don't understand how you can say you don't think the stadium will improve crowds. Melbourne's ST holders already nearly outnumber the amount of seats at OP. The storm need a better stadium and crowds will no doubt increase.

How much of an increase is more the discussion. I'm biased but i think if we can keep some decent form (which looks likely) i can see us pushing towards 20K in a few years.

When teams like St.George, the Dogs etc head down to Melbourne, there is usually 2 or 3K fans that make the trip, this in turn creates a little vibe around town and you draw in the casual observer and possibly 1.2 / 2K more. You won't get this each week, and certainly not for a team from North Queensland

It was raining with a large crowd at the AFL across the road so it certainly wasn't a bad crowd. Without those two things it would have been a bit bigger.

I also question the stats in your post. I very much doubt we average 15k+ against those teams you mentioned which is basically what you suggested.

Latest posts