What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

No claims that this is likely or even what I expect, but just as an exercise of interest.

Assuming that Manly wins tomorrow and after that the Top 8 stays the same with the top ranked team winning their finals games, looking like a decent finals for crowds. No Brisbane finals hurts though.

Week 1
Friday
Melbourne Storm vs Manly Sea Eagles
Olympic Park

Saturday
Gold Coast Titans vs Penrith Panthers
Skilled Park

Bulldogs vs North Queensland Cowboys
ANZ Stadium

Sunday
St George Illawarra Dragons vs Newcastle Knights
WIN Stadium/WIN Jubilee Oval

Week 2
Friday
Melbourne Storm vs Penrith Panthers
Etihad Stadium

Saturday
Gold Coast Titans vs Manly Sea Eagles
Skilled Park

Week 3
Friday
Bulldogs vs Gold Coast Titans
ANZ Stadium

Saturday
St George Illawarra Dragons vs Melbourne Storm
Sydney Football Stadium

Taking the conservative route on those week 3 games. I'd be dissapointed by those crowds to be honest. Don't forget in 2006 Melbourne vs Saints got 40k at Homebush. No reason why either team couldn't repeat that sort of performance. I'm also not sure on a Gold Coast home final in Week 2. I can't recall if Skilled Park was on the list of acceptable venues for Week 2. Definitely out for week 3 as I recall though.

Brutus

Referee
12k i'd say

Which would be an absolute shame.

The NRL should realise that playing a Monday night game between these two sides at the SFS is a ridiculous situation.

To counter that they should've bumped up the promotion around the city area and eastern suburbs to entice people who can actually get to the ground in time to attend. Two for one deals, free tickets with your inner city fast foot, whatever!

I guess they are more concerned with getting people to watch Pay TV.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm happy with playing NQ in week one, even if we lose to them... we played them 2 v 7 in 2004 and look what happened :sarcasm:

brendothejet

First Grade
big lol @ 30k for a saints v melbourne prelim final.

Its happened before and saints put 41k through the door, despite not being the form side.

If Saints make the prelim as Minor Premiers look out for a house full sign.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sharks only got Sunday because they whinged they were getting dud scheduling, forgetting that had much to do with their sh*t form.

Swapping the two would've done the trick IMO.

big lol @ 30k for a saints v melbourne prelim final.

Its happened before and saints put 41k through the door, despite not being the form side.

If Saints make the prelim as Minor Premiers look out for a house full sign.

I know, just going on the conservative side of things. This is particularly in mind of the disappointing Week 3 finals crowds of the last two years.

Raises an interesting question, do you play such a game at the SFS or at ANZ? I went SFS given the fact that it was:
a) Against out-of-town team Melbourne AND
b) On the same weekend of a Canterbury game which would naturally be played at Homebush.

Kiki

First Grade
So proud of the crowd at kogarah on fri nite. Was 99% saints fans and seeing the whole stadium in red and white brought a tear to my eye!

Latest posts