What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd

Saintsified

Bench
Reality is ANZ we got 20k round 1. I've said it before apart from a few hill fans the vast majority of fans want great facilities, my wife isn't a big fan but when we lived in Sydney and I'd say we are going to the game her head would drop when I said it's at kogorah or gong . Few times at sfs or ANZ she would be great let's go. Do people still have to piss in a shipping container at gong?

With respect, it would have been more than 10,500.

Looking at the crowd figures from last year, Wollongong got only 9,000 on two occasions. There was indeed a drop in crowds last year at both venues, but not once did we get less than 10K at Kogarah.

LOL! Sometimes it's best just to finish one sentence earlier.

one of those <9K crowds was against the cowboys in an abysmal weather. Only old diehards like myself without young kids would attend. The weather was so bad that coffee seemed a better idea than a beer (I wasn't sick). Also there may 10 cowboy supporters in the gong.

Most games in the Gong are against out of town team (broncos, cowboys,storm) which I have no problem with but they don't attract the away support that Kogarah should attract when playing the dogs etc.

Regardless last nights crowd attendance was appalling. I believe crowd attendances is an NRL problem more than a Kogarah/Wollongong problem.

See you all at Kogarah for round 7

SFTG

possm

Coach
The NRL should do more to assist in building crowd numbers at all games. It seems as though the ARLC has taken the big bucks for TV rights and then just sat on their hands.

The televised game is rating very high although improvement in commentary would make an even better experience. So instead of sitting on their hands, the ARLC should be assisting Clubs with the promotion of games. Making games more of an event would certainly help increase attendance. Changes to recruitment rules which improve the ability of each Club to have a similar number of marquee players would also go a long way tpwards bringing back larger crowds.

I'd like to see about 50 game balls signed by the captain of each team prior to the game and fans be able to keep any ball kicked into the crowd during the match. Match footballs left over at the end of the game could be kicked into the crowd before the players leave the field.

At the very least, the ARLC should subsidise entry fees for all but corporate seats/box and so make it more affordable for families and individuals to attend.

Last edited:
There were a lot of empty seats around me in the Western Stand that were occupied by members last year.
There are a heap of ex members who simply don't like the new 5 home grounds strategy.
It's their choice
I renewed. I have 5 tickets I'm an ex Steeler supporter, we embrace the JV. The gong bashing only helps other teams supporters.
Go to the games support the team, yep last 2 years were tough.
If we continue to drop crowd numbers all games will be at ANZ.

jenninga

First Grade
The NRL need to really look at this problem of crap crowds.We come up with all the excuses ,but the AFL have same issues to deal with but their crowds are terrific.
The NRL tamper with the game too much, the more they want to try to improve it ,the more they are ruining it.
Things like taking away the toughness,trying to speed up the game,scrum fiascos,video ref over use etc.Banning the shoulder charge is another one,like the lifting tackle if it goes wrong then throw the book at the guilty player.Lifting should have been dealt with years ago BTW.
The AFL is still a great spectacle and still tough,just not as dirty.This is the difference.

Ladies and gentlemen,a misunderstanding and I should have finished the last line a better way.
I actually meant that the AFL is not as dirty as IT used to be taking out the grubby tactics of yesteryear but keeping it as exciting ,the crowds they keep on getting testifys to this.
The NRL has cleaned the game up but in doing so has made the contest for the ball a distant memory,scrums etc turning into a joke.
If the game as a spectacle hasn't diminished ,why are crowds in decline.
Feel free to still disagree

We won't let the fact the Illawarra has had flooding with alot of road closures and just really crap weather get in the way of a Twenty10 rant good way you f**king c**k head.

TruSaint

Referee
There were a lot of empty seats around me in the Western Stand that were occupied by members last year.
There are a heap of ex members who simply don't like the new 5 home grounds strategy.
It's their choice
I renewed. I have 5 tickets I'm an ex Steeler supporter, we embrace the JV. The gong bashing only helps other teams supporters.

Selling our games to soul-less venues has had an effect no doubt.
Any more figures like that, at either venue, would just arm Dousty with the ammo he needs.

Twenty10

Juniors
We won't let the fact the Illawarra has had flooding with alot of road closures and just really crap weather get in the way of a Twenty10 rant good way you f**king c**k head.

Hahah... You make me laugh. Very aggressive little bugger aren't you. Excuses excuses. Harden up buddy. No need to resort to trash talk.

The crowd was a joke. Pathetic support from a bitter bunch.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Why because you don't like the game,crowd figures don't lie.
I'm not speaking for Dragon Taylor or Rainman, but I'd say it has more to with your view that AFL is great to watch, tough and clean. AFL doesn't transfer at all well to TV, too many knock ons, it isn't nearly as tough as Rugby League, but it is dirty. Plus the people running AFL are... well, I better stop there.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You seem to be saying that Wollongong supporters are boycotting Wollongong. What's the reasoning behind that?

Minh

First Grade
It's their choice

Agree, although I can't speak for myself. This year I can't make many games unfortunately.

Dragonboyd

Juniors
If we meant to be the biggest club in nsw with the biggest history and we struggling to bring in crowds, who do we blame????

Hard to decide on a forum comprised of mostly diehards who go to the vast majority of the games. Whenever I see a piss weak saints crowd while we're playing well, I can never understand why... Though admittedly until Friday nights game I haven't seen many piss weak crowds while we're in good form.

You seem to be saying that Wollongong supporters are boycotting Wollongong. What's the reasoning behind that?

I think 2012 and 2013 were bleak, our numbers began to drop significantly mid 2013.

This in conjunction with a reduction in games probably spelt the death knell for those who were wavering in their commitment.

Now my seats are surrounded by opposition types and I'm just not coping.

Winning will cure this malaise.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Hard to decide on a forum comprised of mostly diehards who go to the vast majority of the games. Whenever I see a piss weak saints crowd while we're playing well, I can never understand why... Though admittedly until Friday nights game I haven't seen many piss weak crowds while we're in good form.

Excellent question dragonboyd I will create a poll to find out correlation between forums members and game attendance

Twenty10

Juniors

Well that's poor. None of us necessarily like the new system but I strongly believe if he broncos game was a kogarah, there would have been 17,000 - 19,000 (which is pretty much full house).

After winning 3 in a row especially, and first game back at kogarah the fans would have come out.

Well that's poor. None of us necessarily like the new system but I strongly believe if he broncos game was a kogarah, there would have been 17,000 - 19,000 (which is pretty much full house).

After winning 3 in a row especially, and first game back at kogarah the fans would have come out.

These frequent claims Kogarah would have had a much bigger crowd is based on what logic ?

Crowds at Kogarah and Wollongong over the past few seasons have been similar (2012 the major variance)

SFTG

Latest posts