What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS for this week?

mickeylane

Bench
This team has to take the first half at least we are going to be serious about our season...looking at Souths team we would have their measure across the park..

!st Half Team

1. Dugan
2. Nabuli
3. Aitken
4. Neilsen
5. Nightingale

6. Widdup
7. Marshall

8. Merrin
9. L Estrange
10. Cooper
11. Creagh
12, Thompson
13. Frizell

14. Rose
15. Keating
16. De Bellin
17. Bryant

nrlnrl

First Grade
This team has to take the first half at least we are going to be serious about our season...looking at Souths team we would have their measure across the park..

!st Half Team

1. Dugan
2. Nabuli
3. Aitken
4. Neilsen
5. Nightingale

6. Widdup
7. Marshall

8. Merrin
9. L Estrange
10. Cooper
11. Creagh
12, Thompson
13. Frizell

14. Rose
15. Keating
16. De Bellin
17. Bryant
didn't number 17 have shoulder surgery last week - out until October or November ? Maybe he's the cause of the Dragons salary cap problems ?

Last edited:

Dragon66

Juniors
If we had some proven big men, there MAY be merit in this. But we dont. Realistically, Creagh is a better prop than the rest of them despute his size. He is a better defender, harder runner, pokes his nose through and gets quicker play the balls and is fit as anything...

Did noone watch him play prop last year?! Our issue wasnt the initial hit out, it was the period after 25 mins when our poor bench forwards came on.

Bunny that's why it's called a trial Perfect opportunity to see if the big men can take the step up. It doesn't matter what the score it is it matters how our forwards perform. Our backline is second to none so it our best chance to see if our new forwards can prove themselves up to NRL standard Creagh has nothing to prove so let's see who else we have that may make a different to our side come round 1.

Last edited:

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Flo
3. Aitken
4. Nielsen
5. Nabuli
6. Widdop
7. Marshall
8. Rose
9. Le'strange
10. Creagh
11. JDB
12. Thompson
13. Merrin

14. Frizzell
15. O'brien
16. Cooper
17. Keating

Creagh needs a big body to partner him in the front row. If not rose then maybe o'brien. A starting front row of creagh and cooper ain't gonna worry opposition packs. But with creagh and rose/o'brien, you'll find creaghs runs will be even more effective. This is our best combo IMO until we get one mongrel forward.

Jdb on the right edge should help our defence on that side, an issue since scott left. Thompson looked good on the left edge late last year. Not sure about friz, his defence in the back row is a bit suspect, but with ball in hand, he is a devasting runner. The above pack essentially has 2 players in the second row, Merrin and Jdb who have played front row, so there should be no more excuses about our pack being too small.

bottle

Coach
Who the f**k is Bryant?
Have we signed someone I'm unaware of?
Or is it a matter of 'I'm Bryant, and so is my wife'.

GT0007

Juniors
I think all of the sides that have been put forward are pretty close to the mark especially as there's alot of speculation given we haven't seen much of the new forwards. My main points are as follows:

JBD should always start as his defence is crucial in the 1st 20mins to control the big packs especially.

For the same reason & for go forward Creagh should start.

Cooper really went off the boil in the last 4 or 5 games last year and was missing a lot of tackles so will have to get back to his best before he starts & I think he is too small as a starting frontrower.

I'm leaning toward

8. Obrien
9. LeStrange
10. Creagh
11. DeBelin
12. Thompson
13. Merrin

1. Dugan (didn't see him pass the ball in the 9s surely that wld be the time)
2. Nabuli (question mark over his ability to react in defence but will be a crowd fav)
3. Aitkin
4. Neilson
5. Gypsy
6. Widdop
7. Marshall (will have a huge year)

14. Rose
15. Frizell
16. Cooper
17. Rein (coming on fresh to a tired defence might be what he needs, highest tackler last year easily)

Highland Saint

Juniors
Hey GT good to see you back mate. I'd be happy with that side. Its close to the same pack that was dominated last year but it's what weve got. As always we'll be relying on some of our regulars to take it tothe next level

watatank

Coach
I think all of the sides that have been put forward are pretty close to the mark especially as there's alot of speculation given we haven't seen much of the new forwards. My main points are as follows:

JBD should always start as his defence is crucial in the 1st 20mins to control the big packs especially.

For the same reason & for go forward Creagh should start.

Cooper really went off the boil in the last 4 or 5 games last year and was missing a lot of tackles so will have to get back to his best before he starts & I think he is too small as a starting frontrower.

I'm leaning toward

8. Obrien
9. LeStrange
10. Creagh
11. DeBelin
12. Thompson
13. Merrin

1. Dugan (didn't see him pass the ball in the 9s surely that wld be the time)
2. Nabuli (question mark over his ability to react in defence but will be a crowd fav)
3. Aitkin
4. Neilson
5. Gypsy
6. Widdop
7. Marshall (will have a huge year)

14. Rose
15. Frizell
16. Cooper
17. Rein (coming on fresh to a tired defence might be what he needs, highest tackler last year easily)

Cooper went off the boil last year but let's pick the player that has yet to debut in NRL?

possm

Coach
For the CS game, I'd like to see:

1. Dugan
2. Nabuli
3. Aitkin
4. Neilson
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Marshall
8. Rose
9. L' Estrange
10. Merrin
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Creagh
15. O'Brien
16. Cooper
17. Rein/Garvey

bottle

Coach
Cooper went off the boil last year but let's pick the player that has yet to debut in NRL?

It's a trial tank. Surely they'll all get a run. What constitutes a starting 13 is moot to some extent isn't it? If there is going to be some experimentation, this would be the time. And we'll have more than four on the bench for what it's worth.
Different story if we're talking about the next game against Warrington which will be the last trial game before the comp starts. Needs to be a more serious attempt at a starting 17 then.

BennyV

Referee
Not sure what justifies handing Aitken a starting position at this stage. I'm as excited about him as anyone but he is grossly untried against any open-aged competition, at 19 years old he needs to start the year with Cutters before taking the step up to NRL. There's really not much to be achieved with this, as Neilson, Mata'utia and Farrell are all better proven first graders at this point.

Dragon66

Juniors
Not sure what justifies handing Aitken a starting position at this stage. I'm as excited about him as anyone but he is grossly untried against any open-aged competition, at 19 years old he needs to start the year with Cutters before taking the step up to NRL. There's really not much to be achieved with this, as Neilson, Mata'utia and Farrell are all better proven first graders at this point.

Benny What justifies giving Aitken a starting position for the Charity Shield is that it is just a trial,and a good opportunity to see if he is up to the job at that level. And if not now when? When we have a major injury run and we all hope he comes up and is a saviour for the side.

I think the justification is his record and form. He was an Australian rep last season and was every bit as good as Jack Bird over the eighty minutes in the October game v NZ.
Bird delivered two passes to Valentine Holmes that resulted in tries but Aitken had limited opportunities in attack but his defensive performance was superior.

We know what Neilsen, Farrell and Mata-utia can offer and I'm sure they will get a run.

So I hope he gets a decent run and I hope our forward pack produces a performance to give us some optimism for the coming season. This is the game that should show us if O'Brian, Rose and Nutira are going to feature on a regular basis this year.

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
Hey GT good to see you back mate. I'd be happy with that side. Its close to the same pack that was dominated last year but it's what weve got. As always we'll be relying on some of our regulars to take it tothe next level

Thanks HS appreciated mate, I've been watching from a far!

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors

It's a trial Tank thats what they are for. This is not NRL, that starts in a few weeks

It's a trial tank. Surely they'll all get a run. What constitutes a starting 13 is moot to some extent isn't it? If there is going to be some experimentation, this would be the time. And we'll have more than four on the bench for what it's worth.
Different story if we're talking about the next game against Warrington which will be the last trial game before the comp starts. Needs to be a more serious attempt at a starting 17 then.

What bottle said! Against Warrington we should be picking our best side and I can guarantee barre injury we'll get an insight into Mary's preferences with the exception of Cooper who most like won't travel as his wife is due to give birth. My guess he'll start from the bench round 1

It's a trial. Farrell didnt set the world on fire last year in 5 games and has now had nearly a whole season off. Neilson also came off an injury and was playing NSW Cup. Mata'Utia was very solid in his opportunities last year. Although I don't think Aitken is a Dylan Walker yet he has been doing some great things in the 20s and made the Aussie team. Is deceptively strong and seems very switched on. All will play in the CS and Aitken is really the only one that hasn't shown his wares at adult level so I'd like to see him play before both teams are changed about, thats why he should start. For what its worth I don't think Mary will throw him to the lions so quick, it's just what I would do on this ocasion. My guess is Farrell and Neilson

Benny What justifies giving Aitken a starting position for the Charity Shield is that it is just a trial,and a good opportunity to see if he is up to the job at that level. And if not now when? When we have a major injury run and we all hope he comes up and is a saviour for the side.

I think the justification is his record and form. He was an Australian rep last season and was every bit as good as Jack Bird over the eighty minutes in the October game v NZ.
Bird delivered two passes to Valentine Holmes that resulted in tries but Aitken had limited opportunities in attack but his defensive performance was superior.

We know what Neilsen, Farrell and Mata-utia can offer and I'm sure they will get a run.

So I hope he gets a decent run and I hope our forward pack produces a performance to give us some optimism for the coming season. This is the game that should show us if O'Brian, Rose and Nutira are going to feature on a regular basis this year.

What D66 said.

I've thought the last few years we have been 1 or 2 trial games short especially as we were still picking the side after 6 or 7 rounds so hopefully this year we'll start round 1 with a more settled team

Last edited:

younan21

Juniors
Dragons: 1. Josh Dugan 2. Dylan Farrell 3. Euan Aitken 4. Dane Nielsen 5. Jason Nightingale 6. Gareth Widdop 7. Benji Marshall 8. Mike Cooper 9. Mitch Rein 10. Leeson Ah Mau 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Joel Thompson 13. Ben Creagh (C).

Interchange: 14. Peter Mata’utia 15. Will Matthews 16. Heath L’Estrange 17. Rory O’Brien 18. Jack De Belin 19. Dan Hunt 20. George Rose 21. Charly Runciman 22. Shannon Crook 23. Drew Hutcinhson 24. Eto Nabuli 25. Jake Marketo 26. Yaw Kiti Glymin.

Coach: Paul McGregor.

- See more at: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/2015/02/03/nrl-trials-week-1-squads/#sthash.40cFrbzf.dpuf

BrissyRedV

Bench
Charity shield line up:

Source Dragons website.

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Ben Creagh will lead the team out in his first appearance for the year in the 32nd Charity Shield against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park on Saturday.
The Dragons skipper has been named as lock-forward for the marquee pre-season fixture and is part of a 26-man squad named by Head Coach Paul McGregor.
Dragons prop Jack de Belin will also make his respective first appearance for the Club this year on an extended interchange bench which will see ten players compete in this particular match for the first time.
“The Charity Shield is a special pre-season trial that all the players are always excited to be a part of if given the opportunity due to its history and tradition,” said Creagh.
“I have been lucky to have played my fair share and it is always a game played with high intensity which is what you need as a player leading into the new season.
"The Rabbitohs are the bench mark team and will be a great challenge and test for us.
“This will be my first game of the pre-season and am looking forward to running out onto the field in front of all the Red V Members and supporters who will be cheering us on from the stands.”
The Charity Shield commenced in 1982 and so too did the tradition of supporting local charities and causes. In 2015, proceeds from the Charity Shield will support three charities within the Dragons Community program – the St George and Wollongong Public Hospitals in addition to the St.George Foundation.
Dragons Community was first established in 2008 and aims to have a positive impact on people’s lives within our community, which stretches from Kogarah in the north to Batemans Bay in the south.
Dragons Community currently runs more than 30 different programs across its eight pillars, those being Health, Education, Cultural, Environment, Women and Girls, Mentoring, Charity, and Grassroots Rugby League.
St.George Foundation was founded in 1990 by St.George Bank, the major partner of the St George Illawarra Dragons, to help build a secure future for disadvantaged children.
Since its inception, the Foundation has invested over $23 million in funding programs that enrich the lives of Australian children who are physically, socially or economically disadvantaged.
For the 2015 Charity Shield, St.George Foundation have taken the opportunity to nominate local charity Kookaburra Kids who support the thousands of children living in families affected by mental illness.
NRL Team Line-Up
1. Josh Dugan
2. Dylan Farrell
3. Euan Aitken
4. Dane Nielsen
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Benji Marshall
8. Mike Cooper
9. Mitch Rein
10. Leeson Ah Mau
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Ben Creagh (c)
14. Peter Mata’utia
15. Will Matthews
16. Heath L’Estrange
17. Rory O’Brien
18. Jack de Belin
19. Dan Hunt
20. George Rose
21. Charly Runciman
22. Shannon Crook
23. Drew Hutchison
24. Eto Nabuli
25. Jake Marketo
26. Yaw Kiti Glymin
Dragons prop Trent Merrin has been rested due to his involvement in the upcoming NRL All-Stars fixture alongside Nathan Green and Kris Keating.
Furthermore, Dragons quintet Craig Garvey, Beau Henry, Rulon Nutira, Adam Tuimavave-Gerrard and Shannon Wakeman have all been named for the Illawarra Cutters pre-season fixture against the Newtown Jets.
Results
In 31 Charity Shield fixtures contested since 1982, the Dragons have recorded 16 wins, 11 loses and drawn on four occasions.
Ticketing Information
Tickets for the 2015 Charity Shield are now on sale to the general public through Ticketek.
Additionally, the following 2015 Red V Memberships include entry to the Charity Shield – Platinum, All In, Metro Plus & West Wing.
For further information or to purchase tickets please click here.
Jersey Auction
The Dragons will be auctioning the player-worn Charity Shield jerseys with proceeds donated to the St George and Wollongong Public Hospitals.
The auction will commence following the final whistle with Red V Members and supporters alike able to bid until 9.00pm on Thursday, February 12.

Latest posts